2017 Spring Ball

Blue & Gold

I agree that the battle between Kato/Johns should be intriguing. What I don't agree with (unless I am misreading things), is the notion that there is a true QB battle assuming Woody is healthy. He is the guy if healthy come the first game IMO.

My early guess at the theme of this season is that this year will have a decrease in top end talent, but a large increase in depth at key positions. 

The QB competition is going to be great fun. Bowden has shown in the past that he does not just give the job to the incumbent.  I can easily see it not being settled as the season starts. I would not be surprised if we had a scenario like the tine were we never knew if Pohl, Woodson, or Chapman would be on the field each drive, let alone each game. 

At WR we lose potentially the best 1-2 punch that the Zips have had. However, we have a lot of talent remaining and coming into the program. I expect great things from Nate Stewart and I believe that Dre Williams can make an impact as a freshman. Chapman is a wildcard that could be an x factor, or a complete dud. 

Running back moves from the weakness of the offense to a potential strength. If Ball stays healthy, he showed enough last year that I am excited to see what he can do in the MAC. Even if he does get hurt again, we have the Oregon State transfer and the 2 incoming freshman along with multiple backs who saw significant time last year. 

On defense, losing Scott and Marcus hurt. My biggest fear for this team is the d line. I think that is the one area that the Zips have not showed anything to excite me in the off season. The linebacking corps can't be much worse then last season and there are a few transfers that could really bring the talent level up. 

I apologize for the long post. I am incredibly bored at work at the moment. 

Yeah...starting to throw in June will likely still be a slow rehab process.

1 hour ago, UAZippers said:

On defense, losing Scott and Marcus hurt. My biggest fear for this team is the d line. I think that is the one area that the Zips have not showed anything to excite me in the off season. The linebacking corps can't be much worse then last season and there are a few transfers that could really bring the talent level up. 

I actually think we might be deeper with talent in the deco dart . Ore than anywhere else on the roster. There was some very good play from younger players last season.

1 hour ago, zipsoutsider said:

I actually think we might be deeper with talent in the deco dart . Ore than anywhere else on the roster. There was some very good play from younger players last season.

That's good to hear because the deco dart was definitely a cause for concern last year.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, K92 said:

That's last year's roster.

--and it was last year when he should have been on the  Lackawanna roster (notice the date of the twitter announcement: April 9, 2016)

--apparently it did not work out for him there or at Akron

Edited by zzx
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, zzx said:

--and it was last year when he should have been on the  Lackawanna roster (notice the date of the twitter announcement: April 9, 2016)

--apparently it did not work out for him there or at Akron

Gotcha. Thanks.

On 3/18/2017 at 10:35 AM, zipsoutsider said:

I too am worried about the deco dart.  In fact, I was telling my grandson the other day, if you want a chance to make a DI school football roster, forget long snapping and place kicking, move to deco dart....

2017 Spring Prospectus

Lots of mistakes in there......and I'm not sure I'd take some of that depth chart seriously, but I figured I'd share. I'm assuming at least the players not participating in spring ball is factual. I bet you all can guess one of the players. Hint: He's a popular topic of discussion on here about being under utilized.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Odds & Ends

Senior RB Warren Ball was granted a sixth year of eligibility by the NCAA following his sea- son-ending injury last fall ... redshirt senior Tra’Von Chapman will move from quarterback to wide receiver this spring ... junior QB Thomas Woodson had surgery following the 2016 season and will sit out spring drills ... he is expected to take the eld during training camp in August.

Out for Spring Drills

The following 10 players are injured and will not participate in spring drills: CB Mark Ellis, LB Ulysees Gilbert, DT Davon’te Jest, DE Devon Jones, WR Anthony Lauro, RB Del- tron Sands, PK Jon Semerene, TE Newman Williams, QB Thomas Woodson, and WR Anthony Young.

Depth Chart Reserves

The following six players have not broken into the depth chart but are expected to make an impact during spring drills: CB Hugh Cade, LB Tony Jones, OL Rich Kallay, OL Jonathan Neeley, OL Andrew Siegman, and OL Josh Snow. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

2017 Spring Prospectus

Lots of mistakes in there......and I'm not sure I'd take some of that depth chart seriously, but I figured I'd share. I'm assuming at least the players not participating in spring ball is factual. I bet you all can guess one of the players. Hint: He's a popular topic of discussion on here about being under utilized.

Dylan Evans is listed as a coach.  I don't remember hearing about that happening.  Was I sleeping?

Does anyone have a list of guys that aren't listed now, but are expected to be here in the summer? I don't mean the 2017 recruits, but the long list of guys that didn't sign or any potential transfers. I remember seeing we were supposed to sign 23-25 and it ended up being 13.

15 minutes ago, Buckzip said:

Does anyone have a list of guys that aren't listed now, but are expected to be here in the summer? I don't mean the 2017 recruits, but the long list of guys that didn't sign or any potential transfers. I remember seeing we were supposed to sign 23-25 and it ended up being 13.

Comprehensive New Players Listing - 2017