PD Article on UA Sports Spending

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

A bunch of excuses. If you really want to go you'll be there. Its an inconvenience once or twice a year. You've got 8 months to plan for it.

You're right, if people want to go, they will. And that will happen no matter what day the game is. 

The fair weather casual Zips football fan (me) would go (and have gone) if it's a nice day on a Saturday. The chances of me going to a Tuesday night MAC football game is about zero.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

A bunch of excuses. If you really want to go you'll be there. Its an inconvenience once or twice a year. You've got 8 months to plan for it.

Should I plan for them to be 6-2, 4-4 or 2-6?  History tells me to pick option B or C.  I may be a fair weather fan (and I'm not there on Saturdays to tailgate), but I'm probably not headed to Infocision on a Tuesday night in February for a 2-6 team.

33 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Should I plan for them to be 6-2, 4-4 or 2-6?  History tells me to pick option B or C.  I may be a fair weather fan (and I'm not there on Saturdays to tailgate), but I'm probably not headed to Infocision on a Tuesday night in February for a 2-6 team.

You'd be the only one there if you did.

Edited by kreed5120

I attend the weekday games even though they totally blow.

On a Saturday gameday, I get to the parking lot at 8 in the morning and get my tailgate on.  The actual game takes a lesser amount of time than the pregame.  I like it that way.  I like to blow an entire day on Zips football and have a good time doing it.  I like tailgating so much that I have actually taken 2 days of vacation to be able to do it on these abhorrent weekday games.  One day to tailgate and the next just because driving an hour home to unload the vehicle at 1 a.m. just doesn't cut it when you need to get up for work at 6 and actually be worth a crap the next day.

Last year, I just came up after work, watched the game and went home.  Yes, on my way home I asked myself "Why didn't you just stay home and watch on TV?" because as GP1 so delicately put it weekday games are like putting your balls in a vise for 3 hours.

I care enough to be there.  I have only missed 3 games at Infocision and those 3 games were not missed by my decision.  They were missed because of incontestable obligations.  I think I have earned my right to opine that the weekday games are absolutely awful.  Anyone is certainly welcome to disagree with me, but if you do, could you please tell me which of the weekday games that you attended over the last 8 years were ones that you went home feeling good afterward.

• Like 1

I salute those of you that freeze your balls off for 3 1/2 hours on a Tuesday night to watch a sub .500 team only to be rewarded by getting home past midnight and dragging a$$ the next day at work. You guys are better fans than me. I'll watch from the comfort of my home then shut the TV off and go to bed after it's over.

I can get home at a reasonable hour from basketball games and the JAR is heated with no worry of snow or rain. Those are the 2 biggest reasons that I go to a Tuesday basketball game, but not a Tuesday football game. The fact I know Zips basketball won't likely get boat raced at home doesn't hurt either

Edited by kreed5120

20 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I salute those of you that freeze your balls off for 3 1/2 hours on a Tuesday night to watch a sub .500 team only to be rewarded by getting home past midnight and dragging a$$ the next day at work. You guys are better fans than me. I'll watch from the comfort of my home then shut the TV off and go to bed after it's over.

I can get home at a reasonable hour from basketball games and the JAR is heated with no worry of snow or rain. Those are the 2 biggest reasons that I go to a Tuesday basketball game, but not a Tuesday football game. The fact I know Zips basketball won't likely get boat raced at home doesn't hurt either

Was that a reference to Western Michigan?  Maybe Boat Rowed?

I acknowledge that Tuesdays are generally more difficult.  And it pretty much eliminates a couple of times per year for those who like to make an entire day's experience out of it.  

But in utilizing the law of averages that times and dates will always be more or less convenient for different groups of people, wouldn't Tuesday seem perfect for the Student population?  We hear the excuses all the time about how they go home on weekends and for the end of Thanksgiving week.  But some FREE entertainment on a school night would seem ideal to me.  For those older folks like me, I'm sure you all remember the Thursday Night game in 1986 against Murray State. And for the younger folks, the 2004 Thursday game against Marshall with Charlie's big comeback at the end.  Those two games were among the most fun I have ever had at an Akron football game.   

29 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I acknowledge that Tuesdays are generally more difficult.  And it pretty much eliminates a couple of times per year for those who like to make an entire day's experience out of it.  

But in utilizing the law of averages that times and dates will always be more or less convenient for different groups of people, wouldn't Tuesday seem perfect for the Student population?  We hear the excuses all the time about how they go home on weekends and for the end of Thanksgiving week.  But some FREE entertainment on a school night would seem ideal to me.  For those older folks like me, I'm sure you all remember the Thursday Night game in 1986 against Murray State. And for the younger folks, the 2004 Thursday game against Marshall with Charlie's big comeback at the end.  Those two games were among the most fun I have ever had at an Akron football game.   

skip-zip is right, where are the kiddos?  I too go to all the weeknight games, but I go right afer work and hit a local haunt for a few adult beverages, then head to the car and suit up with the woolies and head for the seats.  I happen to enjoy night games for some reason...i hate the cold and if starts to get wet, I'm outa there.  But what I really hate are the loooooong time outs due to TV.  The Guy With The Red Sleeve pisses me off when he walks on the field, indicating an intermidable delay is ahead.  Since there's no traffic to speak of afterwards, I have no excuse to stop for a nightcap.  But I usuallly do, because you need to after the crappy game you just watched.  i too was at the RB for Murray State and Marshall, and I wish I had one half of football on weeknights that I could get that excited about, but I can't recall one...or half of one....But - BUT - what about skip-zip's question.  Where the hell are the students????

Edited by ZipsVoice
Spelling

41 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

WMU came to mind, but unfortunately they aren't the only one that has done it in recent years.

As for the students, I don't think I'd be saying anything ground breaking if I told you the average student just doesn't care about Zips athletics. They have other stuff they'd rather do than attend games.

Edited by kreed5120

17 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

As for the students, I don't think I'd be saying anything ground breaking if I told you the average student just doesn't care about Zips athletics. They have other stuff they'd rather do than attend games.

Well, in general, most people in Akron obviously always have something better to do than attend an Akron Football game.

But it's worth pointing out that the Thursday night game against Marshall in 2004 drew 29,000 to see a .500 football team that had just changed coaches that year.  And the student energy was fantastic that night right from the kickoff.  And they had to travel to the Rubber Bowl.  They can't use that excuse anymore.   

Corporate Akron has jumped ship too.  The Acme Zip game used to draw huge crowds to the Rubber Bowl.  

The only way to put butts in the seats is to win.  Not 6-5 or 7-4 "bowl eligible" winning for a season, but consistent winning over time.  Recruitment of local talent helps and they're doing a better job with that, but that's still ancillary to playing entertaining quality football.

7 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Well, in general, most people in Akron obviously always have something better to do than attend an Akron Football game.

But it's worth pointing out that the Thursday night game against Marshall in 2004 drew 29,000 to see a .500 football team that had just changed coaches that year.  And the student energy was fantastic that night right from the kickoff.  And they had to travel to the Rubber Bowl.  They can't use that excuse anymore.   

I do think Thursday's are better than Tuesday's as many students are still on or around campus, but don't have Friday classes therefore no homework or tests to study for. I wasn't following Akron in 2004 so I'm not sure what all factors besides Marshall being ranked that got that many people to show up.

15 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I'm not sure what all factors besides Marshall being ranked that got that many people to show up.

Nooo.  You're thinking of the 2002 Marshall team that we beat at the Rubber Bowl when Leftwich broke his leg. 

The 2004 Marshall team finished around .500 and had an 0-3 start.  Nowhere close to a ranking for that team.  

39 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Corporate Akron has jumped ship too.  The Acme Zip game used to draw huge crowds to the Rubber Bowl.  

The only way to put butts in the seats is to win.  Not 6-5 or 7-4 "bowl eligible" winning for a season, but consistent winning over time.  Recruitment of local talent helps and they're doing a better job with that, but that's still ancillary to playing entertaining quality football.

We went to the Acme Zip game every year when I was a kid. The Rubber Bowl would sell out and the atmosphere was fantastic. We would show up for the afternoon soccer match and then hang out before the football game. Always having the Golden Knights, or some other parachute team, landing on the 50 yard line was fun along with the fireworks. I never understood how they let that go away. It seems like yesterday I was taking my son to his first Akron game and he got to sit right behind the Akron bench and saw Charlie Frye close up and thought it was incredible that he saw the QB only a few feet away. Students always sucked as far as attendance goes. When I was a student I went to every game as long as I wasn't working and that was at the RB. I don't understand how these students that live on campus and have that beautiful stadium on campus won't go to games.

16 minutes ago, Buckzip said:

I don't understand how these students that live on campus and have that beautiful stadium on campus won't go to games.

Need more bowl seasons. I went to The Score (formerly known as Pint's..i still miss Pint's) to watch the Potato Bowl with some friends. Had a better time than I ever did in college watching them. It was neat seeing a bar full of people that were into every play of a game that featured our football team. Got to have more of those seasons, and probably an exceptional season to get people truly on board.

• Like 1

Akron (along with every other school) will receive a one time distribution from the NCAA based on the number of athletic scholarships awarded.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2017/03/24/ncaa-200-million-payout-bonus/99582450/

Our number is $743,645.

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/usatoday/editorial/sports/2017-ncaa-special-distribution-by-school.pdf

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

Is Kent State mens golf team like 5x national champion?

I don't know that they're 5x MAC champion.  But see what one major champion can do for your image? ;)

The only MAC team national championship trophy is on display on our campus.  Remember Dec 10. 2010?  Where'd that emoji go???

Edited by Z.I.P.

13 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Interesting PD article on Ohio college coaching salaries over $200K-

http://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/index.ssf/2017/03/51_ohio_college_coaching_jobs.html#incart_2box

Damn, I need to learn fencing!

Some highlights from the list-

No. 50 - $223,693 - Ohio State men's and women's fencing- Vladimir Nazlymov
No. 46 - $230,183 - Ohio State women's golf- Therese Hession
No. 42 - $249,291 - Ohio State men's volleyball- Pete Hanson
No. 39 - $255,999 - Ohio State women's lacrosse- Alexis Venechanos
No. 29 - $327,619 - Ohio State women's volleyball- Geoff Carlston
No. 24 - $366,157 - Ohio State women's rowing- Andy Teitelbaum

51 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Some highlights from the list-

No. 50 - $223,693 - Ohio State men's and women's fencing- Vladimir Nazlymov
No. 46 - $230,183 - Ohio State women's golf- Therese Hession
No. 42 - $249,291 - Ohio State men's volleyball- Pete Hanson
No. 39 - $255,999 - Ohio State women's lacrosse- Alexis Venechanos
No. 29 - $327,619 - Ohio State women's volleyball- Geoff Carlston
No. 24 - $366,157 - Ohio State women's rowing- Andy Teitelbaum

Isn't that insane?!  Ohio State's football team brings in enough to cover all that, right?  OSU, along w/ what, like 2 other schools in the nation, break even, or even might make a profit off their athletics dept.  Crazy.