PD Article on UA Sports Spending

2 hours ago, GoZips88 said:

I just absolutely don't know what to say. College sports financing is completely out of control. I guess the days of the Phys Ed teacher also coaching men's and women's basketball are pretty much over, correct?

Yup.  And because of the fanatic mentality, you're never going to be able to reign in back in.  Just look at people on this forum going from $600,000 a year for a basketball coach to $250,000 a year...

10 minutes ago, Balsy said:

Yup.  And because of the fanatic mentality, you're never going to be able to reign in back in.  Just look at people on this forum going from $600,000 a year for a basketball coach to $250,000 a year...

A lot of it has to do with the fact the rich, the P5, have so much money to spend that they are now not only able to pay their head coaches 7 figures, but they can now also afford their assistants $250k+. There are some assistant coaches that literally take pay cuts so they can become head coaches.

25 minutes ago, Balsy said:

Just look at people on this forum going from $600,000 a year for a basketball coach to $250,000 a year...

I'm not asking us to "go cheap".  I just know we aren't in a position to elevate salaries to get the level of candidate that everyone would like to see here.

With that said, I'm only looking for a coach we can afford, and hopefully he earns his extensions and raises based on his accomplishments, just like Keith did.  If he does that, then paying him 600k and beyond will likely be justified.  

18 hours ago, K92 said:

That list is revolting.

K's right.  So Herb Page gets paid 5 grand less than Dambrot was making, and gets to play golf all day?  And besides Clark wanting to learn fencing, I'm pretty sure I'd take a couple grand less to learn how to teach women to row a "boat".....

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

K's right.  So Herb Page gets paid 5 grand less than Dambrot was making, and gets to play golf all day?  And besides Clark wanting to learn fencing, I'm pretty sure I'd take a couple grand less to learn how to teach women to row a "boat".....

Swords are cooler than oars (unless you're PJ Fleck).

I am in total agreement with Balsy on this topic.  As you might know, I am a UA employee but an Ohio University alumnus and fan.  I love following the Bobcats and Zips but cannot defend any MAC school's continued financial escalation in this losing war.  These institutions exist to educate students and we are diverting precious funds from that mission to feed the egos of a VERY small group of alumni, trustees, etc.

• Like 3

Is UA getting its money's worth?  Zips on that list:

No. 35 - $284,141 - Akron men's soccer- Jared Embick- premier program

No. 32 - $308,042 - Akron women's basketball- Jodi Kest- declining program

No. 12 - $567,973 - Akron football- Terry Bowden- sideways program

No. 6 - $932,071 - Akron men's basketball- Keith Dambrot- gone

These 4 totalled $2,092,227.

Well I think soccer avgs about 2,000 fans , so the math probably doesn't work there.... we know it doesn't work for any of the other sports.....and everyone already knows where I stand. 

It doesn't work for almost every coach in Ohio.... but at least OSU can afford to pay what they are paying

Edited by morris buttermaker

4 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

A lot of it has to do with the fact the rich, the P5, have so much money to spend that they are now not only able to pay their head coaches 7 figures, but they can now also afford their assistants $250k+. There are some assistant coaches that literally take pay cuts so they can become head coaches.

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

No. 35 - $284,141 - Akron men's soccer- Jared Embick- premier program

No. 32 - $308,042 - Akron women's basketball- Jodi Kest- declining program

No. 12 - $567,973 - Akron football- Terry Bowden- sideways program

No. 6 - $932,071 - Akron men's basketball- Keith Dambrot- gone

Oh totally understand that, which of course is part of the problem of "keeping up with the joneses".  When are Universities going to wake up to it?  

I know I may seem like a walking contradiction to a lot of people here.  I'm the biggest supporter of Terry Bowden.  So I guess I'm trying to be as transparent as I can;  I absolutely love the Zips, but I can't necessarily justifiy...or allow decision makers to justify...these decisions without being extremely critical of them. It is the people who care about something most that need to be the most critical of it.  I've also been disillusioned a bit.  When is enough, enough?  

Edited by Balsy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, morris buttermaker said:

but at least OSU can afford to pay what they are paying

Think Again.  

They might be able to show, on paper, that they can bring in yearly revenue that covers those expenses, but they carry a debt load that is more than 2.5 BILLION dollars, which is more than TWICE as large (Cincinnati) as any other school in the state, and 5 TIMES the debt that Akron carries.

I'm sure they were sweating when the Governor was threatening to have every State School in Ohio operate on a balanced budget.  

I spent a lot of money on the athletics program while I was in college at Akron.

I also spent a lot of money on a lot of other things that (unlike sports) I never used. I never bowled or played pool at the bowling alley, never attended anything at the EJT except my graduation, or the theater, hundreds of other programs and clubs and activities I never had an interest in. 

I'm not complaining. Go Zips!!!

Where I do feel like I was :rolltide: was the book store. Mandatory books, with new editions released every year (with miniscule changes or updates) so they wouldn't buy them back, which that nobody had time to crack. Someone needs to do an article on that money grab.

Edited by Spin

12 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Think Again.  

They might be able to show, on paper, that they can bring in yearly revenue that covers those expenses, but they carry a debt load that is more than 2.5 BILLION dollars, which is more than TWICE as large (Cincinnati) as any other school in the state, and 5 TIMES the debt that Akron carries.

I'm sure they were sweating when the Governor was threatening to have every State School in Ohio operate on a balanced budget.  

Thanks for all that info... Since they are a self sustaining athletic department, and service all of their debt from within the Athletic Dept. I will stick with my belief/ statement that Ohio State  can afford to pay what they are paying.

7 minutes ago, morris buttermaker said:

Thanks for all that info... Since they are a self sustaining athletic department, and service all of their debt from within the Athletic Dept. I will stick with my belief/ statement that Ohio State  can afford to pay what they are paying.

I'm just pointing out to you that what you are not seeing is the unbelievable amount of things that they are able to obtain with borrowed money.  The tangible things like facilities and equipment.  Their debt has grown from 800 million to 2.6 BILLION in 10 years.  Would you claim that these bloated-salary coaches are not using any of these facilities that are just getting thrown onto the debt load at such an alarming rate?  Do you think these impressive structures do not help recruit better athletes?  Can you imagine what Akron Athletics could have if they were the athletic department of a school that was irresponsible enough to TRIPLE their debt load in the next 10 years?

You know why it's happening.  When Alabama or Clemson or Auburn adds a new state-of-the-art training facility, they certainly feel like they need to add one too, to try to keep up. Whether they need one or not.

But it's now gotten the Governor's attention, like I pointed out.  And he's an alum of the school.