Sam Burquin and GT on sincere need of new arena & Zips' underwhelming season

Blue & Gold

Was a good listen.  Got a little tired of the "lost opportunity" meme.  I wish he had spoken more about what went wrong this year...if anything actually did go wrong.  Maybe the Zips played up to and at their potential.  One vision I will take away from this year is that in each game we lost Kwan seemed like a temperamental loner and not a senior leader.  I may get grief about saying that, but even in that first loss to YSU I just remember the vision of his standing on the far side of the court with that pout as the game slipped away.   And do add to this "missed opportunity" meme because of this dominating front court...well, obviously it wasn't dominating.  Kwan and Big Dog were flawed players and didn't seem gel together.  But that's why they were at Akron.  You just can't will them to have better natural talent.

I don't necessarily mind  watching seniors graduate and move on.  It's good to see new faces and a new dynamic with the team.  Maybe the team will play faster and run more next year?  Maybe someone will seize the moment to shine.  GT was right that there really hasn't been a "rebuilding" year for the Dambrot.  Maybe a rebuilding year would help all of us appreciate what we've had and enjoyed.  But these last two years, even with the regular season championships, were definitely frustrating. 

Edited by NWAkron

Unfortunately, bigger community leaders than Sam and George have gotten behind the idea of a new arena to no avail.  3 years ago a levy was pitched to fund a downtown arena along with improvements to the 911 and dispatch system in Summit County.  The public response was so negative that county leaders dumped the arena plan.

I'd love to see a downtown arena for the Zips and other events.  Canal Park has been great for downtown and an arena would build on that success.  Unfortunately, the citizens are not likely to support it, leaving it on the University to foot the bill, a university presently in a financial mess.  As such, I'm not holding my breath and I'm resigned to just hoping for improvements to the JAR.

It was a decent listen. Nice hearing a sports talk show talk something other than who the Browns next QB will be and what they need to spend to get him. Was going to write a lengthier post, but I'd just be rehashing things that have been previously said in any of the other dozens of threads. The city and university are both broke. Regardless of how great Dambrot is and how deserving he is of coaching someplace nice, there just is no money to go around.

Edited by kreed5120

38 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

The city and university are both broke. Regardless of how great Dambrot is and how deserving he is of coaching someplace nice, there just is no money to go around.

Most people (fans, politicians, radio hosts, athletic directors etc) don't get this. UA is in deep, if they were a household, things would have been cut to the bone long ago. Instead, they just paid a bonus to their head coach for a NIT bid... and one for a MAC reg season championship---- which guarantees at least a NIT bid!

Edited by morris buttermaker