2018 Commit Akron East DT Ramon Fields

2 hours ago, Zipgrad01 said:

Glenville always lost to Ed's, Ignatius, etc... they weren't losing to a bunch of country bumpkins. 

2016 - Lost to Anthony Wayne (whoever the hell that is) in the first round of the playoffs.

2015 - Smoked by Perrysburg in the regional finals.

2014 - Smoked by Willoughby South in the first round.

2013 - Lost to Loveland in the state championship

2012 - No playoff bid

2011 - No playoff bid

2010 - Lost by 3 scores to St. Eds

Had to go clear back to 2010 to find a playoff loss to St. Eds or Iggy. They've hardly faired any better since dropping to D-2. None of those other schools are anything close to D-1 factories. Whatever fits your narrative though. Marlington, New Phila, and since we are on the topic of Tusc. County, Dover are all pretty damn fine programs for their size.

Edited by LZIp

Glenville's heyday was prior to 2010.  They ain't what they used to be.  Last signing class had 2 kids going to FBS and 2016 had exactly 0 kids going FBS.  I don't care to dig any deeper because I really don't give a toss.  Troy Smith, Ted Ginn, Donte Whitner and "we ain't come to play school" are the only kids I can even name from Glenville and I'm not a Buckeyes fan so I am probably not as impressed as some others are with the Tarblooders.

Edited by K92

26 minutes ago, K92 said:

Glenville's heyday was prior to 2010.  They ain't what they used to be.  Last signing class had 2 kids going to FBS and 2016 had exactly 0 kids going FBS.  I don't care to dig any deeper because I really don't give a toss.  Troy Smith, Ted Ginn, Donte Whitner and "we ain't come to play school" are the only kids I can even name from Glenville and I'm not a Buckeyes fan so I am probably not as impressed as some others are with the Tarblooders.

I don't necessarily disagree. Jones graduated in 2011. Some other big named guys off of the top of my head the past few years were Erick Smith and Marshon Lattimore (you may have heard of him). Point is you don't need to be on some state powerhouse to put out some good players, which is what was originally questioned. None of the East players have even had a chance to step on the field yet, let alone let their collegiate career play out. Most of us are also aware of the resurrection of East football as Cap'n pointed out. Seems premature to judge any of this, unless you just don't like the recruit(s) based on their tape which is fine I guess, but Callaway had an offer from Toledo, Suggs had a a handful of D1 offers, the DB Brimage currently on the team seems to have a lot of interest as does Floyd. Other schools besides us are obviously taking notice.

Edited by LZIp

45 minutes ago, LZIp said:

2016 - Lost to Anthony Wayne (whoever the hell that is) in the first round of the playoffs.

2015 - Smoked by Perrysburg in the regional finals.

2014 - Smoked by Willoughby South in the first round.

2013 - Lost to Loveland in the state championship

2012 - No playoff bid

2011 - No playoff bid

2010 - Lost by 3 scores to St. Eds

Had to go clear back to 2010 to find a playoff loss to St. Eds or Iggy. They've hardly faired any better since dropping to D-2. None of those other schools are anything close to D-1 factories. Whatever fits your narrative though. Marlington, New Phila, and since we are on the topic of Tusc. County, Dover are all pretty damn fine programs for their size.

I am aware of what tusc county has.... I was born and raised there. That is why I laugh about it. 

16 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I don't necessarily disagree. Jones graduated in 2011. Some other big named guys off of the top of my head the past few years were Erick Smith and Marshon Lattimore (you may have heard of him). Point is you don't need to be on some state powerhouse to put out some good players, which is what was originally questioned. None of the East players have even had a chance to step on the field yet, let alone let their collegiate career play out. Most of us are also aware of the resurrection of East football as Cap'n pointed out. Seems premature to judge any of this, unless you just don't like the recruit(s) based on their tape which is fine I guess, but Callaway had an offer from Toledo, Suggs had a a handful of D1 offers, the DB Brimage currently on the team seems to have a lot of interest as does Field. Other schools besides us are obviously taking notice.

My whole point is that any team that truly has 8-10 Legit D1 prospects would smoke New Phila. I guess I am saying that I am not too optimistic about these guys turning out to be impactful D1 players. 

I don't get a warm and fuzzy when New Phila high school beats what turns out to be a large portion of the talent in our recruiting class. 

Edited by Zipgrad01

I agree that with talent like that East should roll 99% of high school teams.

But East reallllly was lacking at QB last year.  Teams would 100% stack the box on them.  I remember watching East play Ellet (or was it Buchtel...) and East had the ball on the 40-yard line but both teams were lined up like it was 4th and goal on the 1.  All 22 players in the box. Lol.

3 minutes ago, Zipgrad01 said:

My whole point is that any team that truly has 8-10 Legit D1 prospects would smoke New Phila. I guess I am saying that I am not too optimistic about these guys turning out to be impactful D1 players. 

Fair enough. Maybe semantics, but I'm only counting six who would've been upperclassman last season. Suggs, Field, Floyd, Brimage, Brimage, Callaway. I'm sure not all of them will be impactful, some probably busts. Maybe its worth taking on a guy or two who might not really be worth it to build some goodwill with an up and coming program. Time will tell.

3 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Fair enough. Maybe semantics, but I'm only counting six who would've been upperclassman last season. Suggs, Field, Floyd, Brimage, Brimage, Callaway. I'm sure not all of them will be impactful, some probably busts. Maybe its worth taking on a guy or two who might not really be worth it to build some goodwill with an up and coming program. Time will tell.

Ok... but to compare, New Phila has produced a total of 2 x D1 football players in the last 21 years. 

4 minutes ago, Zipgrad01 said:

Ok... but to compare, New Phila has produced a total of 2 x D1 football players in the last 21 years. 

What do you suppose the comparison would be between East & New Philadelphia in terms of number of cans of Copenhagen purchased?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

A few  years, ago, in PA AAAA football when the runner-up to the state, championship had zero seniors with D1 scholarships.  One kid made a freshman 1-AA team and that was about it.

Louisville, where I went to school, plays in the same region as East. One year we made it to the state championship in division 3 despite having 0 seniors that went onto play D1 football. In fact, only 1 player on the entire team went on to get a scholarship at a FBS or FCS school. That being our then JR WR who went to play at Boston College.

That's why I find it strange that East isn't more successful given all these D1 athletes they have when schools like New Philly have 0. People like to mention Glenville, but D1 is vastly more competitive and all those schools are flooded with players that will play at the next level.