2017 G Torrey Patton

From today's Beacon write up of the St V-M vs Trotwood Madison game:

Senior Torrey Patton led the Rams (26-3) with a Division II state semifinal-record 34 points. He made 13-of-26 shots from the field, including 3-of-8 3-pointers, hit 5-of-7 free throws, and had 11 rebounds in 32 minutes.

“He is a very good player,” Joyce said of Patton. “Somebody was telling me, I couldn’t believe it, that he is not a Division I player, that he doesn’t have a Division I scholarship, and I’m like, ‘How? How could he not?’ He is a 6-4 point guard who can go either way and he can shoot it.”

=======

Is it true that he doesn't have an offer?

Is there something they aren't saying? Bad student? Poor attitude?

I'd like the insight of the board on this one..

Torrey Patton was the Ohio D-2 Co-POY, & just played out of this world.  However, sadly, he had an awful final 32.9 seconds of his high school career.  With the game tied Trotwood-Madison had the ball.  It, of course, was inbounded to Torrey to probably work for a last shot.  But John Williams stole the ball from him.  Then w/ about 1 second left in the game Jayvon Graves drove baseline on him & hit the game-winning shot at the buzzer :lol:

12 hours ago, Joe Akron said:

From today's Beacon write up of the St V-M vs Trotwood Madison game:

Senior Torrey Patton led the Rams (26-3) with a Division II state semifinal-record 34 points. He made 13-of-26 shots from the field, including 3-of-8 3-pointers, hit 5-of-7 free throws, and had 11 rebounds in 32 minutes.

“He is a very good player,” Joyce said of Patton. “Somebody was telling me, I couldn’t believe it, that he is not a Division I player, that he doesn’t have a Division I scholarship, and I’m like, ‘How? How could he not?’ He is a 6-4 point guard who can go either way and he can shoot it.”

=======

Is it true that he doesn't have an offer?

Is there something they aren't saying? Bad student? Poor attitude?

I'd like the insight of the board on this one..

I saw on another discussion board his only offer is Dll West Virginia State. I also wonder what is the backstory.

Edited by UA'71

• 4 weeks later...
  • Zip Watcher changed the title to 2017 G Torrey Patton

Sometimes, when your roster is depleted with transfers it's viewed by potential recruits as an opportunity to get playing time earlier.   So, I hope that this unfortunate situation might now be our blessing on the other end.  

I'm really happy to land someone of some significance.  It's been a tough few weeks waiting to see if anything good would happen for us.    

The fact that Patton picked Akron over Duquesne should open the eyes to Collins as well. Then it's a matter if he wants to go to a dysfunctional USF or sign with us.

11am tomorrow can't get here fast enough. This is very good momentum right now for Coach Groce and his staff on the recruiting trail !!!!!!!!!

Edited by mes102

9 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Or, does he go somewhere else BECAUSE another quality Guard just picked a school he might be considering?

That can work both ways. :D

The one thing I don't think many people are thinking about right now, is that all these Zips/MAC players transferring to Duquesne may be hurting Duquesne on the recruiting trail because they know they may be able to play this season, but what about the following season when all of them can get back on the court in games? We have basically a clean slate here, and that's more enticing to recruits than not sure where you might be in year 2 of your college basketball career.

Edited by mes102
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Or, does he go somewhere else BECAUSE another quality Guard just picked a school he might be considering?

That can work both ways. :D

1.) He's a #2 guard and not a PG

2.) If he wants to attend a school where his teammates stink, so he can get get a ton of playing time, he probably shouldn't choose Akron.

• Like 3