Josh Williams transferring

Hilltopper

I don't think so.

Two years ago (Jordan's junior year) I saw Jordan play against Medina & Michigan recruit Jon Teske.  Jordan more than held his own.  He wasn't tall or particularly explosive, but he was strong as an ox, confident and very aggressive.  By the end of the game Teske had gotten the better of him... but not  by much.  I was impressed.

When I saw Jordan play on a handful of occasions his senior year (I went out of my way to watch him b/c he had verballed to Akron) Jordan acted like he was "too cool for school," ultra-nonchalant & looked almost completely disinterested.  He had regressed.  A lot.  I wasn't impressed at all.

Idk what happened to him but I'm 99% sure he's not coming to Akron.  But the Jordan Davis I saw play as a senior wouldn't help us anyway.

The 2016 McKinley grad who I do think could help us (though he's not a post player) is LePear Toles.  He's Mr. Smooth.  I love his game.  LePear's 6'6" but I think he might be able to play PG.  For 6'6" he's got really good handles.

He spent a year in prep school at Fork Union Military Academy.  Don't know if he's on our radar or not.

Edited by Blue & Gold

7 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

The 2016 McKinley grad who I do think could help us (though he's not a post player) is LePear Toles.  He's Mr. Smooth.  I love his game.  LePear's 6'6" but I think he might be able to play PG.  For 6'6" he's got really good handles.

He spent a year in prep school at Fork Union Military Academy.  Don't know if he's on our radar or not.

I wondered where LaPear Toles ended up. There is a Kwausy Toles who played for McKinley this year. Are they brothers?

BTW - I like your Akron Beacon Journal comment. 

6 minutes ago, UA'71 said:

I wondered where LaPear Toles ended up. There is a Kwausy Toles who played for McKinley this year. Are they brothers?

Idk, but now that you mention it, yeah, I'd bet they are!

6 minutes ago, UA'71 said:

BTW - I like your Akron Beacon Journal comment. 

There's almost nothing I'd appreciate more than if the Akron Beacon Journal took the City of Akron and the University of Akron seriously.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Josh is transferring to Robert Morris

Well, he'll have to sit a year. Robert Morris has to be happy as is the Williams family. 

To my recollection, Josh was a good student. He may get a playing year for his Masters out of this.

@elvisss_w

"I want to thank everyone in the Akron community and family for a great 2 years here at the university! Being a kid from Akron my heart will forever be in this place! This by far has been one of the hardest decisions of my life but I have decided to continue the rest of my college career at Robert Morris University! It's bitter sweat knowing that I won't be able to play in this uniform anymore but the opportunity to play with my brother has certainly been a big influence in my decision! Again thank you for all the memories, laughs, and heart felt moments!#330#bobosgrandchild #foreverinmyheart"

18 hours ago, Dr Z said:

@elvisss_w

"I want to thank everyone in the Akron community and family for a great 2 years here at the university! Being a kid from Akron my heart will forever be in this place! This by far has been one of the hardest decisions of my life but I have decided to continue the rest of my college career at Robert Morris University! It's bitter sweat knowing that I won't be able to play in this uniform anymore but the opportunity to play with my brother has certainly been a big influence in my decision! Again thank you for all the memories, laughs, and heart felt moments!#330#bobosgrandchild #foreverinmyheart"

Bitter sweat?  LOL.

22 minutes ago, UAZippers said:

Josh represented UA well one last time. He was just named to the All-MAC Academic team. The only Zip to receive the honor.

Shoot really hate to lose a kid like that. Now that Groce is a here maybe a reverse full court press and convince his brother to come here? :) The one thing about those teams is you usually don't see a lot of the top players in the league on it so have to hand to James Thompson IV. The only MAC player to be named to any of the postseason All_MAC teams and also the academic. Also have to admit he'd not the first guy that would have come to mind for that so kudos to him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MDZip said:

Shoot really hate to lose a kid like that. Now that Groce is a here maybe a reverse full court press and convince his brother to come here? :) The one thing about those teams is you usually don't see a lot of the top players in the league on it so have to hand to James Thompson IV. The only MAC player to be named to any of the postseason All_MAC teams and also the academic. Also have to admit he'd not the first guy that would have come to mind for that so kudos to him.

With Groce here, I couldn't help but think how Josh could have been in a Bassett/Offutt type of role on this team. I don't think he would put up the same numbers as those two did at OU, but it would have been interesting.

Edited by mes102

2 minutes ago, MDZip said:

I was also quite surprised to see Thompson on the list. It certainly opened my eyes a little. Big props to him.

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

Do any of you know of any other Zips basketball players who were on that list in the past?  Congratulations to Josh and James Thompson (in Biology no less!).

Reggie McAdams (in Civil Engineering!) three straight years and Jake Kretzer for his final two. Carmelo Betancourt in 13-14. Brian Walsh three times(with a 4.0 in his senior year) Steve McNees (also with a 4.0) and Mike Bardo in 10-11.  I think before 2009 there were only spots for the top five players but then they loosened it up to anyone who had over a 3.2 and played in at least 50% of the teams games. BTW this years women's team had three - Alli Ball, Hannah Plybon and Megan Sefcik.

Edited by MDZip

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 1:04 PM, UA'71 said:

Well, he'll have to sit a year. Robert Morris has to be happy as is the Williams family. 

To my recollection, Josh was a good student. He may get a playing year for his Masters out of this.

FYI, the dad has an Akron JD.  So I would have high expectations from the Williams kids!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

FYI, the dad has an Akron JD.  So I would have high expectations from the Williams kids!

The Mom has an Education degree and was/is employed by Akron Public Schools. So yes, education expectations are high in their family. 

Edited by UA'71
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, UA'71 said:

I just saw that Josh received the 2017 Arthur Ashe Scholar Athlete Award for UA. Another reason to lament his loss.

FWIW - I would have liked seeing how Josh did with Groce. Woulda, shoulda, coulda. 

Too bad his brother was a decent basketball player. Wish he played the tuba or something...

• Like 1