Top 10 in the Bowden Era

K92

I got bit by the football bug last week watching the pieces of video that were posted and got my mind to thinking.  Give me your top 10 players since Bowden has been here.  Doesn't need to be a Bowden recruit.  Doesn't matter if he was a one and done.  Doesn't even need to backed up with statistics.

It is your opinion.

Beginning with the 2012 season through this current year, who makes your top 10 list?  There are a couple of givens that will probably be on everyone's list, but it will be fun to talk about our choices.  I am putting a list together now and I will be back to post mine when it's complete.

Edited by K92
  • Like 2

Tough, and nice idea.

My 10 (in order):

Jatavis Brown

Jamal Marcus

Jojo Natson

Jerome Lane

Dalton Williams

Justin March

Jarrod Pughsley

Thomas Woodson

DeAndre Scott

Jawon Chisholm/Zach D’Orazio

I know the list seems mostly filled with recent players, but that probably also make sense considering the program couldn't have been in worse shape when he got here. I have trouble separating Chis/D'Orazio. I think both deserved to be mentioned. Probably add Warren Ball to the list after this season (fingers crossed).

Edited by LZIp

I was hoping to get back on here before anyone posted their list, but no dice.  I am on the same wavelength as LZ and SZ for a few of these guys.  Mine are not in order other than saving the best for last.

Grice_Cody_Akron_Football_H15_web.jpg?ma Cody Grice

This kid was Akron to the bone.  Great leadership from a player with a lot of toughness and charisma.  His short yardage running got the crowd on its feet and he will be remembered forever for the 4th quarter pump up video.

williams-_dalton_(2012)_(web).jpg?max_wi Dalton Williams

He gave us a lot to root for when there wasn't a lot to root for.  If we only had a defense that could stop air, he would have attained legendary status as the guy who led a great turnaround.  It is a crying shame he only won one game.

Suel-_Marquelo_(web_crop).jpg?max_width= Marquelo Suel

Another guy to cheer for in the dark and dismal days.  He caught damn near everything that touched his hands.  Too bad we only had him for 2 years.  What a great player.

pughsley-_jarrod_-web-_-2013-.jpg?max_wi Jarrod Pughsley

Tough as nails and was a stalwart at left tackle.  He gets extra bonus points from me for his pitcher chug before a Zips game at the MAC Basketball Tournament.

Bailey-_Austin_(web_crop).jpg?max_width= Austin Bailey

Now hear me out. . .This kid had 3 rushes for 20 yards in his career as a Zip but as a Senior, hungry for some playing time, he got down and dirty on the defensive line.  This ultimate team player gave his teammates on that line some much needed rest and I admire that so much.

capi-_nordly_-web-_-2013-.jpg?max_width= Nordly Capi

I got to attend a fair number of practices while Nordly was here.  What a character.  His sense of humor was a breath of fresh air and he could flat get up the field to pressure the QB.  I will always remember him clutching the Wagon Wheel after the win.

Switzer-_Travis_web.jpg?max_width=160&ma Travis Switzer

39 steady starts at center; 36 in a row.  Kid was a stud.

Paul_Zach_Akron_Football_H15_web.jpg?max Zach Paul

Several wins would not have happened if it were not for this guy's clutch punting.  Pitt comes to mind immediately, but there were several other games where the argument could be made that Zach was worthy of MVP.

Natson_JoJo_Akron_Football_H16_web.jpg?m Jojo Natson

The most electrifying player in a decade.  Sacrificed his body on numerous occasions to make a grab.  If he had only come down with the ball versus Ohio. . .

Brown_Jatavis_Akron_Football_H15_web.jpg Jatavis Brown

JB1 will be on everyone's list because he is the most deserving.  No Zip ever identified the target and got there faster with bad intentions.  Not only a terror on the field, but in the weight room as well.  Holding the bench press record is a testament to his hard work and he has been such a great ambassador for our alma mater.

Thanks for playing, guys.

Edited by K92

This is a great idea Keener way to go!

1.  Dalton Williams

2. Cody Grice

3. Jatavis Brown

4. Justin March

5. Zach Paul

6.  Connor Hundley

7.  DeAndre Scott

8.  Jawon Chisholm

9.  Maquelo Suel

10.  Robert Stein

Williams, Paul, Suel, Chisholm, Stein I thought were all critical to the Zips in the Bowden Era.  Both on making Zips football more bearable to watch, but also putting the Zips in situations to win games. 

Grice, Brown, Scott and March were leaders who got this team to new heights on defense relatively quickly.  

Honorable Mention:  Tommy Woodson.  The book has yet to be finished on him, and so I hold him off the list.  Hopefully this season he will rise to #1 on the list after taking the program to unreached heights.

20 minutes ago, Buckzip said:

Was Bryan Wagner pre Bowden?

He would be high up there other wise. Well, and then there is the entire quitting thing.

Yes he was. Transferred to AZ then quit because Ianello killed his passion for the game, IIRC.

Good picks, guys.  Believe it or not, every player named so far was on my original list that I pared down to 10.  There are a few more on my larger list that I will be looking forward to see if anyone mentions.  A couple of guys merited consideration from me for one play.  One really exciting play.

4 minutes ago, K92 said:

Good picks, guys.  Believe it or not, every player named so far was on my original list that I pared down to 10.  There are a few more on my larger list that I will be looking forward to see if anyone mentions.  A couple of guys merited consideration from me for one play.  One really exciting play.

Avis Commack pick 6 vs TN?  Quentin Hines long TD run vs TN? Justin March had the pick 6 vs UM, but he has been mentioned. Natson had the big play vs Wisconsin, but he's been mentioned. MTB had a big TD vs Pitt. Hundley had a hell of a game at Pitt.

3 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Avis Commack pick 6 vs TN?  Quentin Hines long TD run vs TN? Justin March had the pick 6 vs UM, but he has been mentioned. Natson had the big play vs Wisconsin, but he's been mentioned. MTB had a big TD vs Pitt. Hundley had a hell of a game at Pitt.

Ding ding ding.  Those two plays in Knoxville were probably the loudest I've ever cheered for.

To me, one of the most exciting plays I have seen in the Bowden era, was the fake punt against Toledo in 2013. From what I understand that was designed to be a play called on the field when the players saw a certain set-up. They saw it, successfully executed it and went on to win the upset. The players involved in that play (can't recall) might also be worthy of at least an honorable mention.

1 hour ago, zipsoutsider said:

To me, one of the most exciting plays I have seen in the Bowden era, was the fake punt against Toledo in 2013. From what I understand that was designed to be a play called on the field when the players saw a certain set-up. They saw it, successfully executed it and went on to win the upset. The players involved in that play (can't recall) might also be worthy of at least an honorable mention.

My favorite play in recent memory was Jatavis Brown chasing down someone on Toledo from the other side of the field and laying the smack down

• Like 2

I pretty much have the same list of players. The one player I would add for sure is Kurt Mangum, the LB transfer from Washington. He was an absolute stud for the one year we had him. It seemed like he made every tackle that year. Unfortunately Jatavis wasn't developed as a player yet as he was only a Freshman, but imagine the two of them on the field together in their prime.

Edited by blueandgold
  • Like 1

On 3/27/2017 at 2:10 PM, K92 said:

Brown_Jatavis_Akron_Football_H15_web.jpg Jatavis Brown

JB1 will be on everyone's list because he is the most deserving.  No Zip ever identified the target and got there faster with bad intentions.  Not only a terror on the field, but in the weight room as well.  Holding the bench press record is a testament to his hard work and he has been such a great ambassador for our alma mater

I was reminded yesterday, while reading an article about Jason Taylor, that he is the only guy who's ever worn an Akron uniform who had as many sacks as Jason.  That alone is a super accomplishment. 

Much like Jason, Jatavis came here with several limitations.  So, kudos to all of the "late bloomers" out there who worked hard to become great players vs. the entitled brats who barely used their natural ability.   I love guys who can simply "play football" despite not meeting all of the preconceived standards and measurements set by people who think they know better.  

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

How about Top 10 players Bowden has coached against while coach of the Zips? 

Two on the list could be running backs coached by Matt Campbell:  Kareem Hunt and David Montgomery. 

Actually, a Top 10 list of just running backs would be a pretty impressive list because it would include Barkley and a few other also-rans from Columbus.