Search For The Next Head Coach

LZIp

20 minutes ago, mes102 said:

With having a former Marquette athletic director, maybe we have a chance at a certain former Marquette head coach? Maybe use that LeBron-Dwayne Wade connection to get Dwayne Wade to convince that coach to come to Akron since he is now unemployed(but getting paid big with his buyout)

I'd love this idea.  I see the connections to Crean.  I'll just assume that he has much bigger aspirations than a MAC school at this point.  

4 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I'd love this idea.  I see the connections to Crean.  I'll just assume that he has much bigger aspirations than a MAC school at this point.  

Former Marquette Athletic Director is now the Akron athletic director

Tom Crean is a former Marquette head coach(even though Williams wasn't there when Crean was, but still a connection that can be correlated to Akron)

Tom Crean coached Dwayne Wade at Marquette

We all know Dwayne Wade's relationship with LeBron and how LeBron feels about the city of Akron(which includes the university)

And Tom Crean just got a huge buyout from the Indiana job, so he can afford a paycut...

So it's not like a 0% chance of happening. More like a 0.1% chance....

Edited by mes102

8 minutes ago, LZIp said:

If Crean couldn't win at Indiana I'm not sure he could at Akron.

He started out rough, getting them back on track.  But since then, he's had two 27 win seasons, and a 29 win season.  

We'd be EXTREMELY fortunate to get a shot at someone of his caliber.  

Edited by skip-zip

4 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Okay guys one or two Crean references were funny but we're not getting Tom effing Crean. Moving on

Yeah, I'll take partial blame for that with my 2nd Crean post.

Steele would be a nice fresh start for this program. Boals would be the next obvious choice. As dull as it seems, don't be surprised if they just promote McFadden or Thomas...

4 minutes ago, mes102 said:

Yeah, I'll take partial blame for that with my 2nd Crean post.

Steele would be a nice fresh start for this program. Boals would be the next obvious choice. As dull as it seems, don't be surprised if they just promote McFadden or Thomas...

We will immediately launch a national search for our new basketball coach....

17 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

We will immediately launch a national search for our new basketball coach....

Good. Didn't get the chance to read the press release yet. I hope by mid-April, we have a head coach. If not, transferring out and recruiting for upcoming season will start taking it's toll...I know a lot of talk about transferring in the other topic, but a lot of that is reactionary. Once the dust settles, I think many of them will be back. Unless this search goes on too long....

Edited by mes102

2 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Aren't they automatically released if there is a coaching change before they arrive?

I don't believe so, but I am not at all an expert in this area. Usually schools are understanding enough to let them go. Eric Parrish is a strange case though. Didn't he work with the team during the second half of the year?

5 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Aren't they automatically released if there is a coaching change before they arrive?

This is obviously an old article, but it says that the contract specifically spells out that recruits commit to the school, not the coach. It is actually about how Jay Bilas disagrees with the practice.

http://assets.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/bilas_jay/1541904.html

Important to note, and what makes Boals more enticing to me, is that he most likely has some guys he can bring with him to fill holes that have been created tonight...Not sure that is a realistic scenario with most other options.