Search For The Next Head Coach

LZIp

28 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

You're right there.  That IS our reality once again.  Kreed touched on the sobering facts above as well.   We had a different situation that developed over 13 years, and we were very fortunate to have it.  It was very unique for a mid-major school.  

Very unique for a mid-major.  You have to be at the top-of-the-top of the College Basketball Pyramid to have total security.  Remember when Roy Williams left Kansas for North Carolina?  Dayton's in the same situation we are this year.  Try to enjoy it; it's part of college basketball.

20 minutes ago, LZIp said:

If we are talking budget, I'd start by looking at Kest. She is paid a lot for a very minimal revenue generating sport and her program has significantly dropped off the past few seasons. Her contract is up after this upcoming season.

I wish we could just use common sense and abolish Title 9!

Oh, I went there :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, morris buttermaker said:

Isn't this the opportunity Matthew Wilson has been looking for.... fiscally speaking, it has to rank as one of his best days as President. He loses the  university's highest paid employee, and his seasoned (paid) staff. Without being the bad guy.... he gets to reset the basketball program finances.... which loses money, generates very little revenue, and has ( if we use attendance as a reference) relatively little interest to the community - city and school. He probably would love to make a hire of a coach who's pay would be in line with what the program's true value is....given the financial condition of both the Athletic Dept, and the University as a whole. Easily spun as this is a great young coach blah blah blah

It alleviates some salary cost on paper in the short term but those savings need to be plowed directly into the facility upgrades fund. It's not like a windfall that's going to ease a lot of pressure on the athletics budget.

5 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

It alleviates some salary cost on paper in the short term but those savings need to be plowed directly into the facility upgrades fund. It's not like a windfall that's going to ease a lot of pressure on the athletics budget.

At the same time, if Dambrot was truly loyal to the University, couldn't he have done this in retrospect by taking a slight up-front pay cut to allow the University some financial breathing room to upgrade the JAR at the very least?

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

If we are talking budget, I'd start by looking at Kest. She is paid a lot for a very minimal revenue generating sport and her program has significantly dropped off the past few seasons. Her contract is up after this upcoming season.

$308k is way too much for a sport that attracts ~300 fans.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kangaroo kid said:

The article mentions McFadden and Thomas contacting players on behalf of Duquesne. Sounds like they're leaving with Dambrot.

According to KD radio interview, he is taking his entire staff. 

11 minutes ago, kangaroo kid said:

http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2017/03/28/duquesnedambrot-adds-first-player-makes-offers/

The article mentions McFadden and Thomas contacting players on behalf of Duquesne. Sounds like they're leaving with Dambrot.

If I was Akron I would block any transfers to Duquense.... just sayin

Edited by morris buttermaker
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, morris buttermaker said:

I wouldn't. Let them go. I don't want anyone here that doesn't want to be here. Also, I hate when schools "block" a transfer. If a student - not an athlete - transfers, there is no "block" put in place, at least I don't believe so. These are 18+ year olds, AKA adults. They're big boys; let them make their own decisions. Not to mention I think it's a bad look for a mid-major like us to be blocking transfers. It wouldn't make me feel warm and fuzzy about a University if I were a recruit, that the University is preventing student-athletes from furthering their playing careers and academics with a different University that might suit them better.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, ZachTheZip said:

I would be supremely happy with Boals or Paris.

And to whoever keeps suggesting John Groce out in the Internet, please, just, NO.

I agree with this post exactly.  Groce grates at my every nerve. He may be the only guy that would have the ability to destroy my passion for Zips hoops altogether.

43 minutes ago, morris buttermaker said:

Nah. Let 'em go. More scholarships for the new coach to get players that fit his system. Also, you don't want to harm the University's relationships with the players' high schools.

Here are a few long shots...

• John Loyer - Former Zip, Coached with Huggins, former NBA Interim HC and now scout for LA Clippers
  • Greg Paulus - Ohio St Asst. and former Duke Player born in Medina (30 years old)
  • Scott Duncan - NBA Asst. and longtime college assistant coach
  • Larry Shyatt  - NBA Asst. and former Wyoming HC (65 years old)

Shyatt and Duncan got Larry Nance, Jr. to go to Wyoming.  We need a Pete Nance to elevate the program.  Got to get the players.

Steve McNees is the guy, but he is just probably too young to be considered.

4 minutes ago, Akron1 said:

Here are a few long shots...

• John Loyer - Former Zip, Coached with Huggins, former NBA Interim HC and now scout for LA Clippers
  • Greg Paulus - Ohio St Asst. and former Duke Player born in Medina (30 years old)
  • Scott Duncan - NBA Asst. and longtime college assistant coach
  • Larry Shyatt  - NBA Asst. and former Wyoming HC (65 years old)

Shyatt and Duncan got Larry Nance, Jr. to go to Wyoming.  We need a Pete Nance to elevate the program.  Got to get the players.

Steve McNees is the guy, but he is just probably too young to be considered.

over some like a Boals, Paris, or Brannen(NKU coach)?????   don't know if I like any of those choices.