Search For The Next Head Coach

LZIp

22 minutes ago, mes102 said:

Looks like Miami has been reading our posts on here.

Jokes aside, that tells me that we may be competing for some of the same candidates. Hope we're already making phone calls....

Looks like Miami has made their hire. Sounds like Jack Owens, Purdue associate head coach, is going to be their next head coach according to their message board.

31 minutes ago, mes102 said:

Jokes aside, that tells me that we may be competing for some of the same candidates. 

It wouldn't be a joke to me.  Considering where Miami has been over the last decade, and where Akron has been over the same period of time, I'd like to think that we are in a much different position to pull a higher level of candidate.  

I'll say this again:  Luring a candidate after consecutive 26 and 27 win seasons has to be an easier task than it would be for any other school in our league that would be looking for a coach.  

8 minutes ago, Z-Pouch said:

Nothing more frustrating then looking for updates on our coaching search and seeing nothing but football attendance nonsense. Does it really matter if only 100s actually go? and why not start another topic if it matters that much. Geeez....oh look squirrel...

No updates man, unfortunately. Seem to be some updates for everyone but us.

2 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I hope.  Aim high.  We're the premier program in the MAC.  Keep it that way.

I mean it's a total guess. I just get the feeling Pres. Wilson is really invested in the hoops program the way he has been and will want it to remain at the top of the MAC.

3 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

I mean it's a total guess. I just get the feeling Pres. Wilson is really invested in the hoops program the way he has been and will want it to remain at the top of the MAC.

I'm thinking the same.  He's a basketball fan & obviously seems to know the importance of the program.  He's a sharp guy.

I'll say slightly lower than KD. Still top 3 in the MAC. The guy will most likely be unproven at this level and doesn't deserve top money without earning it. Now if its a perceived big time hire...think Crean or Groce, then I am okay with top dollar. If they low ball this whole thing I think I'll be pissed.

13 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I'm thinking the same.  He's a basketball fan & obviously seems to know the importance of the program.  He's a sharp guy.

What is the importance of the program... important to whom?... 30 of us on ZN?  A sharp guy?--- I guess we will find out.

Edited by morris buttermaker

5 minutes ago, morris buttermaker said:

What is the importance of the program... important to whom?... 30 of us on ZN?  A sharp guy?--- I guess we will find out.

C'mon, man.  Almost every school... even Walsh and Malone... know the importance of the men's basketball team to the university.

I'm not saying it's necessarily a good thing that it's come to that, but it is what it is.

A lot just depends on who they feel the right candidate for the job is. No point of throwing $600k at some guy they feel they can get for $350k. 

Edit: I don't expect them to throw out the $650k that they were paying Dambrot, but could see them spending $400k-$500k for the 'right guy'.

Edited by kreed5120

What does $600,000 get you vs $250,000? Universities are businesses, and the UA is strapped. I like cable TV way more than any UA sport-- but I tell you what I do if i'm ever strapped...I whack cable TV.  You wait for Matt Wilson to really start gutting things around campus on the academic side after he gives the guy in charge of a basketball team that loses money a $600,000 contract...that will tell me he is more brave than sharp, because those cuts are coming.

8 minutes ago, morris buttermaker said:

What does $600,000 get you vs $250,000? Universities are businesses, and the UA is strapped.

Ding. Ding. Ding.  Correct Answer. 

He'll have to work his way up to Keith's salary, I can guarantee you that.   Why would we want to be saddled with a huge debt if he ends up being a dud?  It's a business, indeed.  This might give us limitations, but that's the way it will be.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, morris buttermaker said:

What does $600,000 get you vs $250,000?

It should be able to get you a lot, actually. Paying a coach 250k and him not performing vs paying a coach 600k and him being at Keith's level or above can have much more than a net 350k impact. I am guessing anyways. I said it before and I'll say it again. I believe cuts should start on the Women's basketball side, and that probably won't happen until after this season.

Edited by LZIp