Search For The Next Head Coach

LZIp

8 hours ago, Oldschool said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/collegeinsider/status/793132851860533248

Read this MES102. Very impressive dude. Not that Mc Devitt isn't. Tell me what you think.

You make some good points MES102. I do like the fact that he's local and won a Ohio State Championship at Hoban High School. I'm also holding out that if he were to get the job he would be able to persuade his son to be a  Zip. His son is a High Major recruit committed to play in the SEC. Saw some clips on him. WOW????

Also read on the after game article that 2 starters didn't play for UT Martin against Asheville. They accounted for 25 points a game and 17 rebounds between the 2 of them. So Stewart did make an adjustment.

He was most likely prepared for those two starters not to play. I'm talking more in-game adjustments.

Plus, if his son wasn't going to go with him to UT-Martin and commit to Ole Miss anyway, what makes you think he would de-commit from Ole Miss and come to Akron with his father? Too many variables there. Stewart isn't a dumpster fire pick. I would be okay if Stewart is the guy. But Nick McDevitt is still my first choice, and one of very few guys that would entice me to buy season tickets.

Edited by mes102

15 hours ago, mes102 said:

So the fact that UT-Martin almost let that game be that close down the stretch, tells me that McDevitt made the in-game adjustments to get his team back into the game, 71-80, with two minutes to go. It was also 50-58 with 11 minutes left in 2nd half. That's a 21-10 run to start the 2nd half. Sound like halftime adjustments to me. That also tells me that Stewart didn't make good counter in-game adjustments. I don't think I need to say this, but I don't think I'm the only one that wants a coach that can make solid in-game adjustments, not someone that can't counter in-game adjustments. We just had that.

I'm sure it would be simple to label a coach as brilliant every time their team goes on a scoring run during a game, and chastising the other coach if his team doesn't, for each individual instance.  Now we're also labeling our former coach as a guy who can't do that.  How and why things happen during the course of a basketball game are far more complex than that.  

11 hours ago, ZachTheZip said:

Most NCAA administrators, presidents, and the like tend to meet up during this event, kind of like pro sports owner's meetings.

More importantly this year, the number of coaches who show up at these gatherings to network with people.  I've never seen a profession where everyone somehow has a direct or indirect relationship with everyone else like the coaching profession.  

4 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I'm sure it would be simple to label a coach as brilliant every time their team goes on a scoring run during a game, and chastising the other coach if his team doesn't, for each individual instance.  Now we're also labeling our former coach as a guy who can't do that.  How and why things happen during the course of a basketball game are far more complex than that.  

I understand it's more complex than that. Did I ever say "every time" at all? There's certain parts of the game that adjustments are made. Maybe because I'm a coach at the high school level, I can see more specific details and what adjustments are being made and which ones are not being made. I'll give you an example:

Our MAC semifinal game, Ball State was fronting Big Dog and having someone behind him for the help side. That's why we had so much trouble getting it into Big Dog. Our adjustment should have been flashing Big Dog to the high post(near the elbow/free throw line). It would have made Ball State have to stop fronting Big Dog all the way out there. Or at the very least it would open a lob pass to Big Dog because there would be too much space for the help side defender to effectively help on Big Dog while also seeing the person they're actually defending. It leaves backdoors open and possible high low actions. We never really did that. And then when I hear Dambrot say in the postgame that it doesn't matter where Big Dog is, we need to give him the ball, which explains all the turnovers trying to force it in to Big Dog. It frustrated me that we never went to the high post in that game. To me, that was as simple as an adjustment as you make in a game. And we were lucky Ball State couldn't hit a shot in the last few minutes.

Also, a lot about adjustments is not reacting to what is going on, but being one or two steps ahead on what's about to happen. A lot of times as a coach, you can see something coming after you spend so much time scouting the opponent and then see things play out in the game. My main point to oldschool was that if he can base off of one game of a halftime score and who had the superior talent be the "better" coach, than I can base my "adjustments" on one play-by-play box score.

One of the main reasons why I choose McDevitt over Stewart is the OOC schedule. Stewart has coached against 5 power five schools , and McDevitt has coached against 10 power 5 schools. And if you count Villanova and Georgetown as power 5, then mark that as 12 power 5 schools. Like you said, Stewart has superior talent than McDevitt has, which makes it more impressive that UNC-Asheville has been losing to some of these Power 5 schools by small margins. Like 46-60 at Georgia, 77-79 at Ohio State, 78-82 at Tennessee, and 79-73 win at Georgetown.

Edited by mes102
  • Like 2

Williams better use the time in Arizona at the Final 4 wisely.  That's a chance to get with everyone and make some serious strides in finding a new coach.  If we're here in another week having these discussions, the Zips are going to be reduced to recruiting the bottom of the barrel and leftovers.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Williams better use the time in Arizona at the Final 4 wisely.  That's a chance to get with everyone and make some serious strides in finding a new coach.  If we're here in another week having these discussions, the Zips are going to be reduced to recruiting the bottom of the barrel and leftovers.

You can add coaching staff to that as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lilroodude said:

I have switched my HC preference. I'm all in on Kevin Kuwik. 

Certainly a name to consider, but I want someone with successful DI head coaching experience already. Not an assistant coach learning on the job.

Edited by mes102

Let's take our time and get the right head coach for the next 5-7 years. Worry about the players and assistants later. KD has left our program with a good reputation, and with playing time available here I don't think we'll fall off the cliff.

Edited by ZippyRulz
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Blackburn said:

Would MUCH RATHER bring in Geno Ford.  Successful HC experience in the MAC. Struggled at Bradley, but who hasn't? 

Word on the Streets of Akron is that Geno may be hesitant to return to Ohio and collect a pay check, since Kent received a judgement against him in Portage Co Common Please Court, which (as I have been told) remains uncollected as of yet.

Perhaps someone who has better street connections can add to this..;)

15 minutes ago, Joe Akron said:

Word on the Streets of Akron is that Geno may be hesitant to return to Ohio and collect a pay check, since Kent received a judgement against him in Portage Co Common Please Court, which (as I have been told) remains uncollected as of yet.

Perhaps someone who has better street connections can add to this..;)

I don't think being in Ohio would have anything to do with collecting would it? What was the $$$ amount?

My dream scenario includes Big Dru getting the job (after another title at STVM if he is not looking to retire there, now is his chance to make a big jump into college meanwhile...) He has the AAU connections that can get the program back on track by infusing the talent we need to compete with Buffalo and OU. He coaches for 3-5 years UNTIL Little Dru finishes his playing career and takes over the job. LeBron said when asked this week, little Dru wants to be a coach and you can bet LeBron will make it happen somewhere, I believe LeBron is starting to run more of the University behind the scenes than most people are willing to admit and if the Joyces want to go "all in," LBJ will set this up.

Same thing with Jent, although I'm not so sure he would want the job either.

Without a candidate with either strong Akron/LBJ ties, I think the program is in serious trouble going forward as so many of the program's recruiting tools expire.

10 minutes ago, Joe Free said:

My dream scenario includes Big Dru getting the job (after another title at STVM if he is not looking to retire there, now is his chance to make a big jump into college meanwhile...) He has the AAU connections that can get the program back on track by infusing the talent we need to compete with Buffalo and OU. He coaches for 3-5 years UNTIL Little Dru finishes his playing career and takes over the job. LeBron said when asked this week, little Dru wants to be a coach and you can bet LeBron will make it happen somewhere, I believe LeBron is starting to run more of the University behind the scenes than most people are willing to admit and if the Joyces want to go "all in," LBJ will set this up.

Without a candidate with either strong Akron/LBJ ties, I think the program is in serious trouble going forward as so many of the program's recruiting tools expire.

I'll acknowledge Joyce might do well in recruiting but he's an average in-game coach.  Dru III would be great to be a part of the program, although he'd need to work his way up like other coaches before we'd discuss HC.

19 minutes ago, Joe Free said:

Going from high school coach to college D1 head coach is an incredible leap. I do see value in putting him on staff and giving him the opportunity to work his way up, the same we did with Dambrot.

1 hour ago, UAZip0510 said:

I'll acknowledge Joyce might do well in recruiting but he's an average in-game coach.  Dru III would be great to be a part of the program, although he'd need to work his way up like other coaches before we'd discuss HC.

Some would call that description generous.  I do believe he has improved.    He might be good at getting athletes here but he'd need a very good staff to work the details.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blackburn said:

Would MUCH RATHER bring in Geno Ford.  Successful HC experience in the MAC. Struggled at Bradley, but who hasn't? 

We often bring up the word "poison" on ZNO... Geno is poison. Right now there isn't a school that wants to touch him as a head coach. He's got a lot of making up to do before he gets another HC job.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sportsjunkie330 said:

We often bring up the word "poison" on ZNO... Geno is poison. Right now there isn't a school that wants to touch him as a head coach. He's got a lot of making up to do before he gets another HC job.

What would be really interesting is PCCC garnishing old Geno's UA salary for their judgment out of the Bradley related litigation. 

• Like 2

Like I said, it's my fantasy...

And recruiting is much more important to sustained MAC success than in game coaching. Dru Joyce would be able to step in right away and recruit with Nate Oats and and Senderoff. A bunch of the other names being suggested will take 3-4 years to get the program back on track. We all know KD had his blind spots in-game (inexplicably NEVER playing a zone this past year, repeatedly having teams struggle at the line, jerking Antino's minutes around, favoring Robotham to the detriment of Josh Williams and Tavian, etc.) too. You don't need to be Lenny Wilkens to win the MAC.

2 hours ago, Joe Free said:

One of my dream scenarios is Dru-3 taking over the program one day, and this scenario would make sense chronologically.  Hmm.

Idk if Dru-2 is a good in-game coach or not.  But recruiting is much more important than in-game adjustments.  Plus, STVM lost to Trotwood-Madison by 39 earlier in the season but beat them in the state semi-finals.  I'd say that's some serious and impressive adjustments being made by Dru-2 (granted, not  in-game, but nonetheless).

If not HC, I think it'd be great if Dru-2 (and eventually, Dru-3) were asked to be on the future staff.  I think Willie McGee would make a great HC at STVM.  

Edited by Blue & Gold

Haven't done a deep dive on the candidates, but my gut says Jeff Boals is the guy.    Wasn't he a great recruiter, here and OSU?  Great Ohio connections.   Would be great to have L Dru on his staff for the LeBron connection.

I would like somebody that has an Akron connection and that we know/knows us.   I am terrified that Williams has a favorite he's been waiting to hire some place a'la Coach I.    Geesh, I just got a shudder...

4 minutes ago, LosAngelesZipFan said:

Jeff Boals is the guy.    Wasn't he a great recruiter, here and OSU? 

I like Jeff, but I don't know about this one. 

Haven't we watched the Suckeyes steadily slide almost completely off of the college basketball cliff over the last 5 years?

Hasn't Akron had many of their best years since he's been gone?