Search For The Next Head Coach

LZIp

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

it was evident OSU was consistently bringing in top 10 classes with him there and with him gone their recruiting classes have fallen off quite a bit.

Dude.  You gotta give it up.  Over 7 years, they've gone from the #2 team in the country.....STEADILY AND CONSISTENTLY DOWNWARD...to the 90th best team in the country who finished 11th in their conference.  With the same coach all of that time.  And it's not because a couple of guys left a couple of season ago, as you contend.  This has been a steady plunge that started long before that.   I don't give a damn what you say about their recruiting class rankings.  The plummeting results over a long period speak for themselves.  Then you try to scramble to prove your point for the 10th time by starting an argument with Blackburn about a couple of kids that would have been pursued by recruiters in High School nearly a decade ago.  

This isn't about Boals at all.  You wouldn't be spending all of this time belaboring something like this.  Please, go to the great and almighty Ohio State message board if you want to defend one of our competitors.  Funny enough, I bet you'll get a lot of support.  

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I'm not going to pretend to know how influential he was on the recruiting trail, but it was evident OSU was consistently bringing in top 10 classes with him there and with him gone their recruiting classes have fallen off quite a bit. It may me coincidence or it may not be. The original point I was disputing was someone tried stating OSU recruiting fell off while he was there, which clearly wasn't the case. It fell off after he left.

So after 1 basketball season, and 1 recruiting season, that is what you are basing your info on? This will be the 2nd, maybe 1.5, summer since he was gone.  The players that is there now are part of his recruiting classes. 

Edited by Blackburn

34 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Dude.  You gotta give it up.  Over 7 years, they've gone from the #2 team in the country.....STEADILY AND CONSISTENTLY DOWNWARD...to the 90th best team in the country who finished 11th in their conference.  With the same coach all of that time.  And it's not because a couple of guys left a couple of season ago, as you contend.  This has been a steady plunge that started long before that.   I don't give a damn what you say about their recruiting class rankings.  The plummeting results over a long period speak for themselves.  Then you try to scramble to prove your point for the 10th time by starting an argument with Blackburn about a couple of kids that would have been pursued by recruiters in High School nearly a decade ago.  

This isn't about Boals at all.  You wouldn't be spending all of this time belaboring something like this.  Please, go to the great and almighty Ohio State message board if you want to defend one of our competitors.  Funny enough, I bet you'll get a lot of support.  

IDK what your problem is. You are the one that stated their problem was recruiting and claimed it started under Boals. I stated they recruited great under Boals and backed it up with facts (them having 4 top 10 recruiting classes). They had a terrific recruiting class in 2015, however, 60% of that class transferred. I don't know the story of why nor do I really care. Their 2016 class was underwhelming and their 2017 class appears to be shaping up to be equally as bad.

OSU program has obviously been regressing over the last 2 years by missing the tournament and I never stated otherwise. I don't see how me disputing a balatant alternative fact on your part is me defending OSU. Their program is going downhill and based off their incoming class it doesn't appear to be turning itself around anytime soon.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Blackburn said:

So after 1 basketball season, and 1 recruiting season, that is what you are basing your info on? This will be the 2nd, maybe 1.5, summer since he was gone.  The players that is there now are part of his recruiting classes. 

And some of the best guys he recruited are no longer on the team because they transferred to other P5 programs and in the case of a guys like D'Angelo Russell they left early to play in the NBA.

4 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

They had a terrific recruiting class in 2015, however, 60% of that class transferred. I don't know the story of why nor do I really care. 

You should! THEY WERENT GOOD ENOUGH.  They get a little guy out of Dayton and not even go after Simpson from Lima? Mr. Basketball! Don't even go after him. And hear the same thing with Kennard when he was in HS. Didn't even go after him. His recruiting territory! Nick Ward, Michigan State. Ibi Watson, Michigan. This list is long!

5 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

And some of the best guys he recruited are no longer on the team because they transferred to other P5 programs and in the case of a guys like D'Angelo Russell they left early to play in the NBA.

What do you not understand about recruiting areas?

And what are they doing at those new programs?

27 minutes ago, Blackburn said:

Where did these guys go? Who are they?

It actually appears it was 4 guys who transferred out of that 5 guy class. The one I missed initially was Mickey Mitchell. All were top 120 players coming out of high school.

Daniel Giddens transferred to Alabama

Austin Grandstaff transferred to Oklahoma

A.J. Harris transferred to New Mexico State

Mickey Mitchell transferred to UCSB

http://ohiostate.247sports.com/Season/2015-Basketball/Commits

Edit: As I stated before Boals signed a 4 year $1.875M (469k/year) contract at Stony Brook and I honestly don't see us paying him, or anyone for that matter, $600k starting out which is probably what it would take to get him here.

Edited by kreed5120

So back on the topic of our coaching search, appears Boals and Paris are out. I think most on here would have been satisfied with either of them. I haven't read anything yet about who we are targeting that I would consider reputable. Let's get it moving, Larry.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

I could see a couple of coaches using the Akron job as an opportunity to get more money out of their current schools.

Some of the Zips faithful don't want to hear it, but the reasons KD used for leaving and the facility issues we've beaten on for years, are reasons some candidates may not be interested.  Certainly, some young up and comers may see it as worthwhile or as a stepping stone, but a head coach like Boals or Stewart may see it as more of a potential lateral.

I get a feeling the Zips are going to get someone we haven't considered.  Nothing concrete just a feeling, similar to the one I had about KD taking the Duquesne job.  As such, I'll take the field in this race.

Anyone interested in a thread poll with the top candidates we've referenced? 

3 hours ago, Dr Z said:

I know some University employees read here, but maybe a well written email to Larry would be appropriate. krex@uakron.edu

You seem passionate on the subject, and he seems like a good communicator, and may be responsive. 

Already done. I sent him one about McDevitt this morning and one originally with the 34 names I came up in the middle of late Monday night/early early Tuesday morning when KD left. Hoping that that would give him a decent head start on some names for the search firm, etc.

For the people that were wishing they would be hearing things right now. I look at it in these two ways:

1. We probably won't hear anything until Tuesday morning at the earliest. With the national title being tomorrow night, I see a lot of candidate and reference in-person interviews going on as we speak in Phoenix.

2. I consider this the "calm before the storm". It's only a matter of time before we get bombarded with rumors all over the place.

EDIT: LZip just answered what I was about to answer..

Edited by mes102

20 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Where do you see Boals is out?

@UAZip0510 Has stated he will not be coming here and I have to take his word for it as he seems in the know.

5 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Where do you see Paris is out?

Multiple reports are saying Paris is close to taking the job at UT-Chatanooga.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mes102 said:

2. I consider this the "calm before the storm". It's only a matter of time before we get bombarded with rumors all over the place.

Let's not kid ourselves. There's no one who cares enough to research and put the rumors out there. We'll hear something when it's official, unfortunately.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

It actually appears it was 4 guys who transferred out of that 5 guy class. The one I missed initially was Mickey Mitchell. All were top 120 players coming out of high school.

Daniel Giddens transferred to Alabama

Austin Grandstaff transferred to Oklahoma

A.J. Harris transferred to New Mexico State

Mickey Mitchell transferred to UCSB

http://ohiostate.247sports.com/Season/2015-Basketball/Commits

Edit: As I stated before Boals signed a 4 year $1.875M (469k/year) contract at Stony Brook and I honestly don't see us paying him, or anyone for that matter, $600k starting out which is probably what it would take to get him here.

So AJ Harris is a complete bust. Proved that when we played tOSU in NIT. Wasn't better than what we had. That was the best OH player THE Ohio State University could get out of Ohio?

Wasn't Austin Grandstaff the one that got is HS gf pregnant and they took him because his dad is a AAU guy (tried to connect pipeline).  Anyways, he is from TX.  And by the way, is transferring OUT of Oklahoma without having suited up because HE ISNT GOOD ENOUGH! 

Giddens is from GA. NOT a Boals recruit. 

Mitchell to UCSB... P5 school? From TX. NOT a Boals recruit. 

Come on! :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

I don't even know what you guys are arguing about anymore

Absolutely, move on guys. Boals is out and that's the most important part pertaining to the thread. I could care less who is right/ wrong about OSU recruiting and why players didn't develop. We are best just agreeing to disagree on Boals abilities. I think he will end up a big time coach at some point when his time comes. It will not be Akron for many good reasons already stated on this board.

12 minutes ago, Blackburn said:

So AJ Harris is a complete bust. Proved that when we played tOSU in NIT. Wasn't better than what we had. That was the best OH player THE Ohio State University could get out of Ohio?

Wasn't Austin Grandstaff the one that got is HS gf pregnant and they took him because his dad is a AAU guy (tried to connect pipeline).  Anyways, he is from TX.  And by the way, is transferring OUT of Oklahoma without having suited up because HE ISNT GOOD ENOUGH! 

Giddens is from GA. NOT a Boals recruit. 

Mitchell to UCSB... P5 school? From TX. NOT a Boals recruit. 

Come on! :rolleyes:

I don't know the back stories on all these guys. Just that they were highly touted coming out of high school. I'm not sure who recruited every single player that came in and out of OSU nor do I really care. I don't have this magical map that you somehow apparently do that shows who was assigned to what state. So you're saying it is just a coincidence they quit landing these guys after Boals left? Good to know. :rolleyes:

Edit: As Z-Pouch stated I'll just agree to disagree.

Edited by kreed5120

3 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I don't know the back stories on all these guys. Just that they were highly touted coming out of high school. I'm not sure who recruited every single player that came in and out of OSU nor do I really care. I don't have this magical map that you somehow apparently do that shows who was assigned to what state. So you're saying it is just a coincidence they quit landing these guys after Boals left? Good to know. :rolleyes:

THESE recruits are LM talents. Ratings are political at the HS level.  They mean hardly anything. 

Boals was suppose to be the Ohio guy. Not a secret. Every staff in Ohio needs to have an Ohio guy, or 2, to recruit the state.  This state is lucrative with talent.  I am saying NO ONE IN BOALS' KNOWN RECRUITING AREA wants to come to tOSU.  When tOSU is not as desirable to Ohio recruits, that is a HUGE problem. And who was the center of that? Boals. And NO ONE can argue that these Ohio guys are kicking the Bucks' @$s. Embarrassing. 

1 hour ago, Blackburn said:

You should! THEY WERENT GOOD ENOUGH.  They get a little guy out of Dayton and not even go after Simpson from Lima? Mr. Basketball! Don't even go after him. And hear the same thing with Kennard when he was in HS. Didn't even go after him. His recruiting territory! Nick Ward, Michigan State. Ibi Watson, Michigan. This list is long!

OSU went hard after Simpson.