Search For The Next Head Coach

LZIp

9 minutes ago, ZachTheZip said:

Lots of people from Indiana seem convinced that Groce is our leading candidate (they were equally as certain that he was the frontrunner for Dayton, too, though).

I'm confused as to why Indiana people are concerned with Groce/our coaching search.

2 minutes ago, ROCK1 said:

OSU went hard after Simpson.

I work in an AAU program... NO they didn't. He was going to Wisconsin, Xavier, Michigan, or Illinois. Actually took a visit to Michigan on the way back from Wisconsin visit.  Committed a day or 2 later. 

9 minutes ago, ZachTheZip said:

Lots of people from Indiana seem convinced that Groce is our leading candidate (they were equally as certain that he was the frontrunner for Dayton, too, though).

I would like to think that Groce is under consideration but think the money issue is show stopper on any conversations. Even rumors of him coming here are surprising to me.

Edited by Z-Pouch

9 minutes ago, Blackburn said:

THESE recruits are LM talents. Ratings are political at the HS level.  They mean hardly anything. 

Boals was suppose to be the Ohio guy. Not a secret. Every staff in Ohio needs to have an Ohio guy, or 2, to recruit the state.  This state is lucrative with talent.  I am saying NO ONE IN BOALS' KNOWN RECRUITING AREA wants to come to tOSU.  When tOSU is not as desirable to Ohio recruits, that is a HUGE problem. And who was the center of that? Boals. And NO ONE can argue that these Ohio guys are kicking the Bucks' @$s. Embarrassing. 

I get it you feel he is a poor recruiter, I don't. Lets agree to disagree and move on.

12 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I'm confused as to why Indiana people are concerned with Groce/our coaching search.

I did a Twitter search. Apparently a bunch of IU people don't want us to hire him so he can join Archie as recruiting coordinator and assistant coach.

• Like 1

I'm kind of torn on Groce. He went 34-30 in the MAC regular season, but somehow still managed to win 3 NCAAT games. He then goes to Illinois and makes 1 NCAAT appearance in 5 years in a conference that routinely receives 5-8 bids. Given his underwhelming performance at Illinois, he might need to go to someplace like Akron for 2-3 years to prove himself before he gets another chance at one of those larger schools.

Edited by kreed5120

12 minutes ago, Valpo Zip said:

Is anyone else concerned that Paris prefers UT Chattanooga over Akron?

Do we know that is the case?  It sounds like UTC has already made an offer and is in negotiations.  Akron isn't that far along in their search.  Paris may just be moving forward on an offer that has been made rather than something that might come from Akron.

Edited by zipsrule
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, zipsrule said:

Do we know that is the case?  It sounds like UTC has already made and offer and is in negotiations.  Akron isn't that far along in their search.  Paris may just be moving forward on an offer that has been made rather than something that might come from Akron.

I was just typing this exact thing.

10 minutes ago, Valpo Zip said:

Is anyone else concerned that Paris prefers UT Chattanooga over Akron?

Whoever said Paris preferred UT-Chattanooga over Akron? I'm not going to wait around for someone to offer me a job if someone else is already offering me one. Plus, if we did offer one, I'm sure ours was a 3 year deal and Chattanooga's was a 6 year deal. More security to leave Wisconsin. That's IF we did.

Goodman's tweet said Paris was the frontrunner from the time the Chattanooga job opened.

My bad! I apologize for jumping to that assumption/conclusion.

I hope someone from our AD is reaching out to coach Paris. If he is the one that is going to be selected for the job, It will be a shame to lose him because the offer came a day or two too late.  

24 minutes ago, Valpo Zip said:

My bad! I apologize for jumping to that assumption/conclusion.

I hope someone from our AD is reaching out to coach Paris. If he is the one that is going to be selected for the job, It will be a shame to lose him because the offer came a day or two too late.  

I'm sure they talked this weekend in-person. You would not believe what it's like at the Final Four, men's or women's. It's like a coaching version of a political party convention. The networking that goes on at these final fours for coaches is just incredible. It was a brilliant idea that our AD went down there this weekend.

Example of what I'm talking about:

Edited by mes102
  • Like 1

So between everything, these are the openings(by basketball budgets according to another topic on here) :

New Mexico
Akron
Furman
LIU-Brooklyn
Portland State
Bethune-Cookman
Florida A&M
Alabama A&M
Coppin State
Grambling State

UPDATED: 2:50pm ET on 4/3 after Patrick Ewing is hired at Georgetown.

Edited by mes102

5 minutes ago, zippy_ua_00 said:

From what I've been told by someone involved they have a few interviews this coming week. They are going to meet with a couple coaches and within 2 weeks we will have a new coach

At this rate in 2 weeks we will have a coach but no players

• Like 1