Search For The Next Head Coach

LZIp

58 minutes ago, mes102 said:

I'm sure they talked this weekend in-person. You would not believe what it's like at the Final Four, men's or women's. It's like a coaching version of a political party convention. The networking that goes on at these final fours for coaches is just incredible. It was a brilliant idea that our AD went down there this weekend.

Example of what I'm talking about:

As a Wooster Fighting Scot myself, love this.

Edited by NWAkron

1 hour ago, zippy_ua_00 said:

From what I've been told by someone involved they have a few interviews this coming week. They are going to meet with a couple coaches and within 2 weeks we will have a new coach

From what I've been told Williams is waiting for the outcome of the Boals Ability to Recruit Debate before he moves on. He is absolutely paralyzed until that piercing question is answered. As we all know he depends inordinately on ZNO and he wants the full debate completed before making a move. Unfortunately that will mean most of us will die from self-inflicted gunshot wounds rather than see it out. Bye cruel world. :wave::wave::wave:

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

Lamont Paris was hired by UT-Chattanooga.  What do you guys think?  Disappointing for us?  

I was definitely interested in Lamont.  However, right now, my uninformed heart is leaning toward Anthony Stewart, so I'm not too disappointed.

I heard there's a guy at South Carolina Upstate who is looking to bolt.  McDaniel, McDougall, MacDavid or something or other.

And I was thinking about John Groce and his inability to recruit Chicago.  We need someone who can recruit Akron because apparently all these top players are slipping off to Buffalo

Edited by NWAkron

If anyone is in touch with Williams in some way, will you please take a few seconds to describe the disaster that was iCoach and how much damage the one particularly bad decision made to UA which came down to one guy following his default path without really getting the tired kicked on it... 

And just to add some salt to that wound, imagine-- just imagine-- if we had ended up with someone like PJ Fleck instead of iCoach and pulled off a couple of amazing seasons with a brand new stadium... instead, the exact opposite happened.   

Oh and to add to that mix is the Scarphoon decision and aftermath... the entire UA community has collective PTSD from 2 major hiring decisions that were ill-considered and turned out in the worst possible way for UA.   UA was just getting it's reputation back together with good moves by the new president, and now this... 

KD's repalcement just can't be some random person with no connection to UA that Williams just knows "is gonna be great"...  stakes are way way way too high...

Edited by LosAngelesZipFan
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, LosAngelesZipFan said:

And just to add some salt to that wound, imagine-- just imagine-- if we had ended up with someone like PJ Fleck instead of iCoach and pulled off a couple of amazing seasons with a brand new stadium... instead, the exact opposite happened.   

Depressing.   Thanks.

55 minutes ago, LosAngelesZipFan said:

KD's repalcement just can't be some random person with no connection to UA that Williams just knows "is gonna be great"...  stakes are way way way too high...

So you much rather have a coach with Akron connections that may not have proven himself yet as a head coach compared to a coach without Akron connections that has proven to be a solid head coach?

Edited by mes102

4 minutes ago, mes102 said:

So you much rather have a coach with Akron connections that may not have proven himself yet as a head coach compared to a coach without Akron connections that has proven to be a solid head coach?

In my opinion, the Akron connection is meaningless. So is all the LeBron nonsense.

If Calipari calls and wants the job we should at least seriously consider it.

:rofl::rofl:

• Like 1

Is Groce interested in UA job?  None of us really know.  But hes under contract with Illinois for another (2, 3 ?) years meaning he is being paid already so salary is not the initial obstacle at least until his contract expires.  Another item, Antino was on a radio show on 88.1 this afternoon.  He said he was reopening his recruiting and has spoken to a couple schools but he added he will consider staying at Akron depending on the coaching selection. 

49 minutes ago, UAZip0510 said:

Groce is a serious candidate and is very interested in coming here.  

I think this is spot on because almost everything I see from Hoosier fans on twitter is "If Groce doesn't get the Akron job, he's going to be Indiana's third assistant."

They all think Groce isn't going to be anywhere else but head coach at Akron or assistant at Indiana. With that many mentioning Akron with Groce's name, someone has to have some connection with Groce or current staff there to know this and that Groce is a serious candidate.

Edited by mes102

27 minutes ago, infofan said:

Is Groce interested in UA job?  None of us really know.  But hes under contract with Illinois for another (2, 3 ?) years meaning he is being paid already so salary is not the initial obstacle at least until his contract expires.  Another item, Antino was on a radio show on 88.1 this afternoon.  He said he was reopening his recruiting and has spoken to a couple schools but he added he will consider staying at Akron depending on the coaching selection. 

I just told you he was. ;)

1 hour ago, akronzips71 said:

In my opinion, the Akron connection is meaningless. So is all the LeBron nonsense.

If Calipari calls and wants the job we should at least seriously consider it.

:rofl::rofl:

Agreed. That's why I posted what I did when I saw this quote by LAZipFan

"KD's replacement just can't be some random person with no connection to UA that Williams just knows "is gonna be great"...  stakes are way way way too high..."

Edited by mes102

So in the first couple days of this search there were a few posts basically saying no way to Groce. I think hilltopper may have been one.. I consider him pretty well connected so I'm just curious what the reasons against him are.

He had a lot of success at OU and played a pretty entertaining brand of basketball to boot. Maybe there's something I don't know about him but genuinely curious to hear from those who don't want him.