Search For The Next Head Coach

LZIp

8 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

So in the first couple days of this search there were a few posts basically saying no way to Groce. I think hilltopper may have been one.. I consider him pretty well connected so I'm just curious what the reasons against him are.

He had a lot of success at OU and played a pretty entertaining brand of basketball to boot. Maybe there's something I don't know about him but genuinely curious to hear from those who don't want him.

I don't remember Hilltopper saying it, but I know Zach did. I'm curious for the reasoning as well, though. Did he recruit Cooper at OU (or anyone worth noting)? Really don't recall that far back.

14 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

So in the first couple days of this search there were a few posts basically saying no way to Groce. I think hilltopper may have been one.. I consider him pretty well connected so I'm just curious what the reasons against him are.

I never said that.

To clarify... "some random person"= some unknown dickwad like iCoach  whose only qualification was being the buddy of the person doing the search.

Groce is not that-- he's a known quantity and knows Akron well.   While I wish he had an Akron connection--like Boals-- I would be totally comfortable w him because we saw directly what he was able to do down in the 'holler.   

My point was I do not want some buddy of Williams whose only qualification is that friendship-- been there, done that w Tom Wistrcill and iCoach.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LosAngelesZipFan said:

To clarify... "some random person"= some unknown dickwad like iCoach  whose only qualification was being the buddy of the person doing the search.

Groce is not that-- he's a known quantity and knows Akron well.   While I wish he had an Akron connection--like Boals-- I would be totally comfortable w him because we saw directly what he was able to do down in the 'holler.   

My point was I do not want some buddy of Williams whose only qualification is that friendship-- been there, done that w Tom Wistrcill and iCoach.  

Thanks for the clarification. I took that first post as you only wanted someone with an Akron connection.

Edited by mes102

27 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

Groce does not want to drop back down to the MAC and will not be a candidate.

I don't know what any person I dont know wants, but (as much as I would like to see this) I can't really picture this. He would really have to think there is a huge upside to coming here 

I mean, he was pretty bad at Illinois. It's not that crazy to think he isn't going to get a great offer until he's successful at a place like UA. The way the Indiana writers frame it (I have a feeling they have put a little more effort into this than our media, so I'll trust them somewhat), he'll be their assistant if he doesn't get the Akron job. Not if he turns down the Akron job. Sounds like his hat's in the ring. But we'll see.

• Like 1

If Groce gets the job, it would only be fitting if he brings in Brian Walsh as an assistant.  Groce owes his success to Brian.  If Brian made a 12 foot jumper instead of it rimming out, Akron goes to the NCAA in 2012.  (Does it seem like Akron was snake bitten in MAC finals) Ohio does not make their sweet 16 run, Groce, does not get the Illinois job and make a million dollars.  I also liked Brian as a Zip, a tall guard that could rebound and played tough defense.  Somebody we could definately use as a coach.

Yeah, Groce went 37-53 in B1G play making only 1 tourney in his 5 years. He's certainly either going to have to be an assistant somewhere or take a head coach job at a mid-major for a few years before he earns another opportunity making $1M+ at some big name program.

Edited by kreed5120

All I really remember about Groce is that I used to think he was an idiot whenever we faced OU. Always red faced yelling at officials. Count me in on those who wouldn't be over the moon about him coming here. 

Same goes for Geno Ford although thankfully it doesn't seem like he's a possibility. 

I have never before considered posting on zipsnation, in fact I rarely ever visit the site (only occasionally to see what fans are complaining about). But after reading some of these conversations since the MAC tournament I finally had to register to make a post. I have plenty to say and doubt I can effectively communicate everything I would like to say, but I will give it a try:

The first thing I can't believe I haven't seen is people wanting us to hire from within. Coach Dambrot just finished an unparalleled run of success all while pretty much keeping his staff in tact- so to me the obvious thing to do is promote one of his long time assistant coaches (Rick McFadden). Would this guarantee success? No, not necessarily, but it seems more likely to me that he would continue to be successful than someone else. For those of you who want "something new" I'm not sure why? I mean if it's a more exciting playing style that you are looking for, ok fine- Just look at some other programs in the league who play what you may think is "more exciting basketball" (Central, Toledo, or even BG who wants to play fast). Now look at their history of success, it doesn't look anything like what Coach Dambrot and his staff have done. If you are looking for something more, once again I understand. We all would like to win MORE MAC championships, and win in the NCAA tournament (Nobody wanted that more than Coach D). But please remember that we DID win more than anyone else in the conference- Just look at the last 9 years: 3 MAC Tournament Championships and 4 MAC Regular Season Championships. And as for more we were obviously a shot here or there from winning more Tournament Championships, which then gives you more opportunities in the Big Dance where it is all about matchups. As for the NCAA tournament our best chance was lost when our best team had just lost its starting point guard, and then Walsh and Forsythe got the flu the night before the game. Luck is a huge part of NCAA tournament runs (buzzer beaters, injuries, officiating, or matchups) as a fan all you can ask is to put yourself in position to win. And Coach Dambrot and his staff have done that better than anyone else, so why not keep the same old boring 20 wins, regular season championship, tournament finals and then roll the dice? 

The next thing that I see is complaining about the schedule, whether it be about the way Coach D scheduled, of the way you want the next coach to schedule. Once again, I understand- I would rather see a few more tough games and a few less Ark Pine Pluffs. But the reality is our schedule has provided opportunities against high major teams (all on the road) as well as quality mid major teams. If you want a tougher schedule it will mean going on the road and giving up home games- and I have recently seen some of you bring up Coles Miami teams and their scheduling. It is often mentioned how those tough games get you ready for tournament play, and one person said of those Miami teams "They were always prepared for tournament play, MAC or NCAA". Well guess what if you look at the previous paragraph our "soft schedule" that you complain about has gotten us prepared BETTER THAN ANYONE in the league for the MAC tournament.

Now finally for those of you thinking that Akron is a good job- IT IS NOT. Now I am sure that we will be able to hire a good coach who has good experiences on their resume, but not because of anything about our program. Coaches will want this job because it offers them a chance to be a head coach, or because it offers a pay raise, but not because it offers more potential than other schools in the league (look at facilities, financial situations etc). Akron has won, not because we have more to offer, but because we had a better coach/coaching staff, so why not keep it going with someone who not only knows the blueprint, but has helped design and implement it?

• Like 4

I have not heard many opinions or talk on here about Travis Steele or Billy Donlon. I have always heard good things about both in the past and I know they are in that group of names that always seem to come up with each head coaching vacancy in the region. Any thoughts on these guys?

8 hours ago, bUAkronG said:

Same goes for Geno Ford although thankfully it doesn't seem like he's a possibility. 

I'll always remember how Ford acted when Singletary clearly punched Linhart, and got kicked out of the game.  For that, I don't know if I'd ever want him on my side.  

18 minutes ago, GJGood said:

I have not heard many opinions or talk on here about Travis Steele or Billy Donlon. I have always heard good things about both in the past and I know they are in that group of names that always seem to come up with each head coaching vacancy in the region. Any thoughts on these guys?

I like Steele. I just found out he is Groce's half brother

5 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I'll always remember how Ford acted when Singletary clearly punched Linhart, and got kicked out of the game.  For that, I don't know if I'd ever want him on my side.  

Why do I remember that as being in the Jim Christian regime for them? You may very well be correct as my memory of the timeline of some of the incidents may be a bit foggy.

17 minutes ago, Valpo Zip said:

Geno Ford never won anything. Couldn't win the MAC tournament at KENT and was terrible at Bradley. I am not sure why he will be considered for the job.

Is he?  Or is it just internet board speculation?  Personally, I sure hope he's not in the running.

14 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Is he?  Or is it just internet board speculation?  Personally, I sure hope he's not in the running.

I agree 100%. It's not like he bit off more than he can chew by going to a highly competitive league then got ran out of town for failing to meet lofty expectations. He went 19-43 in the MVC.