Search For The Next Head Coach

LZIp

5 minutes ago, UAZip0510 said:

We should know who our new coach is within 24-48 hours.  

Good. Isn't national signing day April 12th?! Give the coach some time to hopefully fill a hole or two. Seem to be some good players identified on this forum.

I would be surprised if search firms didn't include contract negotiation, background checks, and other legal/paperwork handling in their services. People get too caught up in the semantics of calling it a "search firm". It doesn't make sense not to use one, even if you have a specific person you're trying to hire. Coaching hires like this are major, major undertakings for Division I universities. It's not your normal hiring process.

Edited by ZachTheZip

1 hour ago, Z.I.P. said:

I wrote to AD Mike Bobinsky in 1994 (95?) requesting him to give John Loyer -- the candidate most closely associated with the Akron basketball program at the time -- an interview for the head coaching job after the departure of my friend Coleman Crawford. 

ZIP....you'd be interested to know that this article even states that Loyer was actually considered a Finalist for our job back then. 

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1995-03-30/sports/9503300092_1_hipsher-stetson-akron-job

FYI.....Loyer's son is also an early verbal to Michigan State for the 2018 class.  Could dad change that and instantly make him our first big-time recruit?

Edited by skip-zip

28 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

I was there too. Do you remember Ewing punching out Greg Dreiling in one of the preliminary games?

I also remember a kid throwing a ball in Dreiling's face and the kid from Ewing's team breaking the backboard dunking in warmups.    As I recall, Troy Taylor and Ronnie Stokes' team won that one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Listened to Joe Dunn's show on the way home and he was speaking to a former Huggins assistant.  I believe his last name was Moeller.  He indicated a large number of people have shown interest in the UA job.  He also repeatedly belittled Williams for having to hire a search firm.  According to this guy, every AD should have a list of 5 or 6 guys always handy in the event that a coach moves on, and that search firms are just a way for an AD to cover his @$$.  The guy was also a big proponent of Groce as he knows Ohio and has head coaching experience. 

Wistrcill had a list handy all right. Then we had to fix that by using a search firm that did enough due diligence to reach out to TB. Dude sounds like a goof.

How will using a search firm cover the AD?  Like Williams will say, "I just took the one the firm recommended.  Really.  It wasn't my choice."  Utter nonsense.

Having a middle man I think would help especially in a limited time frame.  The firm could reach out to McDevitt or Ja Christian and see what the deal is before contact is made.

If it's a 24-48 hour window, then a name should start floating around tomorrow.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

ZIP....you'd be interested to know that this article even states that Loyer was actually considered a Finalist for our job back then. 

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1995-03-30/sports/9503300092_1_hipsher-stetson-akron-job

FYI.....Loyer's son is also an early verbal to Michigan State for the 2018 class.  Could dad change that and instantly make him our first big-time recruit?

Thanks for that Skip -- I had to check, because I thought Foster Loyer was a UofM Wolverine recruit (Class of 2018).   He IS going to be a Spartan Izzo -- and he's a Big Time Player.  And he has a brother in 7th grade.  Here's a clip of him talking about his upbringing.   http://www.freep.com/story/sports/high-school/2017/01/13/foster-loyer-basketball/96521474/    Clarkston HS -- same as the Fife Brothers went to (older bro played with Fab 5)

Interesting article from the Bobinski files too!  Coleman always talked about finding his "battleship" in the middle, but could never come close.  Team played in Hawai'i in 1991, and their starting center was a 6-7 white kid from Salem, Ohio.  What a nice kid -- the opponents all agreed!   ;) 

Edited by Z.I.P.
  • Like 1

Actually, search firms are often used as "cover".

That is to say, it may be a lawsuit or NCAA violation if UA initiates contact with a coach currently under contract.

But a search firm exists to do just that. And IF they bring the school together with a currently contracted coach, the "story" will be that the coach had contacted the firm looking for openings, or that the firm reached out to him unknown to the school. Plausible deny ability. It is done all the time in business, in fact, the company will use the search firm to reach out to someone they might be prohibited from contacting directly.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

It's pretty bad we have to rely on sketchy twitter handles, other teams message boards, and 1 ZN.o poster for our coaching updates. It would be nice if the local media at least made an effort to make it at least appear they were trying to cover the coaching search.

What coaching search? :tomato:

Here's what I'll say:

If it's John Loyer or Jamion Christian, I'll buy season tickets. If it's Anthony Stewart or Russell Turner, i'll have to see his staff but I'll probably buy season tickets. Groce will be just single game tickets. If it's Jim Christian, the university will owe me season tickets.

And if it's a curveball and my favorite,  Nick McDevitt, as the next head coach, I'll buy myself season tickets and a random ZN.o poster season tickets :thumb:

Edited by mes102
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Blackburn said:

A name that should be mentioned and isn't is Brett Reed... A LM guy that has success and was the one that saw the talent in Canton that no one did...

Good.  We need someone who can recruit Canton.  It's going to be season tickets for me no matter what even if it's Jim Christian. (what else do I have to do Dec thru March than watch a train wreck twice a week)  However, don't be surprised if George Thomas tweets that it's Jim Christian because he thinks Jim is short for Jamion.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

That is to say, it may be a lawsuit or NCAA violation if UA initiates contact with a coach currently under contract.

But a search firm exists to do just that. And IF they bring the school together with a currently contracted coach, the "story" will be that the coach had contacted the firm looking for openings, or that the firm reached out to him unknown to the school. Plausible deny ability. It is done all the time in business, in fact, the company will use the search firm to reach out to someone they might be prohibited from contacting directly.

I do not believe any permission is needed to contact other schools coaches.... at one time it was a courtesy, but that's it.