Search For The Next Head Coach

LZIp

48 minutes ago, mes102 said:

Since this search is coming to an end it seems, here was the list of names I gave our AD on 3/28, a week ago from today.

==========================================

Tom Crean - Former Indiana & Marquette head coach

John Groce - Former Illinois & Ohio head coach

Jack Perri - LIU-Brooklyn former head coach

============================================

Jeff Boals - StonyBrook current head coach

Brian Jones - North Dakota current head coach

John Becker - Vermont current head coach

Nick McDevitt - UNC-Asheville current head coach

Russell Turner - UC-Irvine current head coach

Jim Less - UC-Davis current head coach

Pat Skerry - Towson current head coach

Greg Kampe - Oakland current head coach

John Brennan - Northern Kentucky current head coach

King Rice - Monmouth current head coach

Tim Cluess - Iona current head coach

Jamion Christian - Mount St. Mary's current head coach

Rick Byrd - Belmont current head coach

Ray Harper - Jacksonville State current head coach

Brett Reed - Lehigh current head coach

Mike Slessinger - New Orleans current head coach

Rod Barnes - Cal State-Bakersfield current head coach

=================================================

Lamont Paris - Wisconsin current associate head coach, NOW HIRED AS CHATTANOOGA HEAD COACH

Travis Steele - Xavier current associate head coach

Larry Davis - Cincinnati current associate head coach

Kenny Johnson - Louisville current associate head coach

Larry Harrison - West Virginia current associate head coach

Dwayne Stephens - Michigan State current associate head coach

Matt Figger - South Carolina current associate head coach, NOW HIRED AS AUSTIN PEAY HEAD COACH

Rod Balanis - Notre Dame current associate head coach

==================================================

Brian James - Northwestern assistant coach

Steve Lutz - Creighton assistant coach

Jerrance Howard - Kansas assistant coach

Chris Jent - Ohio State current assistant coach

Billy Donlon - Michigan current assistant coach, former Wright St head coach

Terry Johnson - Butler current assistant coach

Wow, I'm impressed how much you know about all of these guys.... I can't wait to see your NFL Mock Draft #1

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GoZips88 said:

Sorry. The end doesn't justify the means for me. Yelling, screaming, throwing clipboards, berating players and referees aren't my style. Just a difference of opinion.

And if what others have posted is true, add sh** talking opposing coaches to the list of reasons I'm not quite excited.

If Groce was the second coming of John Wooden, I'd accept him as the head coach but that wouldn't mean I wasn't allowed to say he seems like an idiot on the sidelines.

I'm with those who have pointed out that he's finished 6th, 5th, 3rd and 3rd in the MAC EAST.  Not the MAC, just the East Division!!  Not impressed.  Looks like he slipped from the middle of the pack to the back of the pack during his tenure at Illinois too.  

No doubt I'd take the 3 tournament wins he has.  But, he hasn't even gotten into the tournament 4 years straight now.  And one of his appearances with OU was by pulling a rabbit out of a hat with a team that finished way back in the standings.  

I don't know.  I don't like the guy.  And I'm certainly not going to give him too much credit for his overall ability to produce based on a couple of games when I see the whole picture in the 1st paragraph above.  

To be honest, on the surface, this isn't appealing to me. However, if he can recruit like he has and connect with the community(aka HS coaches, etc.), then I see this as a win-win. It's a win for Groce, and a win for us. If Groce leaves, then that means we won an NCAA Tournament game or two, and our head coaching job will possibly be more enticing than it is right now.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, mes102 said:

To be honest, on the surface, this isn't appealing to me. However, if he can recruit like he has and connect with the community(aka HS coaches, etc.)

That "community" includes the fans, donors, and sponsors.  Might that be a tough road for a guy who was just despised by those people a few years ago?

I know...."If he wins, everyone will forget".  So they say.  But, that might not be everyone.  And it may take too much time to heal old wounds.  

Let me get this straight, now some Zip fans are making excuses for Groce winning in the tournament. I'm was just getting used to the excuses for KD losing in the tournament. I'm going to have to have some adjustment time. ?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

That "community" includes the fans, donors, and sponsors.  Might that be a tough road for a guy who was just despised by those people a few years ago?

I know...."If he wins, everyone will forget".  So they say.  But, that might not be everyone.  And it may take too much time to heal old wounds.  

I have a suggestion for fans that "despised" him. Quit being sore losers!

• Like 1

What exactly do people feel bad about? This is ridiculous.   Bring this up IF he's hired and crashes and burns.  When the out of conference schedule toughens up and we start winning some games we shouldn't and our players are actually motivated by an intense, firey coach instead of the "poor me" ..."I will bring one home for you coach" all will be forgiven.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

When the out of conference schedule toughens up and we start winning some games we shouldn't and our players are actually motivated by an intense, firey coach instead of the "poor me" ..."I will bring one home for you coach" all will be forgiven.

Uh oh.  Here's comes the expectations already.  :D

39 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I'm with those who have pointed out that he's finished 6th, 5th, 3rd and 3rd in the MAC EAST.  Not the MAC, just the East Division!!  Not impressed.  Looks like he slipped from the middle of the pack to the back of the pack during his tenure at Illinois too.  

No doubt I'd take the 3 tournament wins he has.  But, he hasn't even gotten into the tournament 4 years straight now.  And one of his appearances with OU was by pulling a rabbit out of a hat with a team that finished way back in the standings.  

I don't know.  I don't like the guy.  And I'm certainly not going to give him too much credit for his overall ability to produce based on a couple of games when I see the whole picture in the 1st paragraph above.  

You bring up some valid points, but the MAC BEast is the only division that matters. The MAC West is the JV division.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sportsjunkie330 said:

I have heard the new coach will be Jamion Christian. 

Meh. 83-81 record. Only finished first in the conference one time, while being 4th-5th the other 4 years.

A lot of people have been critical of Dambrot leaving his alma mater. How do we feel about Jamion Christian doing the same?

Edited by akzipper

13 minutes ago, akzipper said:

Meh.

A lot of people have been critical of Dambrot leaving his alma mater. How do we feel about Christian doing the same?

I think a majority of those critical of Dambrot also believe Duquesne to be a lateral move. Not to mention he did a good job of kicking us while we are are down a bit with some of his departure comments. 

MSM to Akron would be a vertical move. While the MAC may be a 1 bid league, at least our 1 bid isn't guaranteed to be in the Play In Game. 

With all of that being said, nothing about Christian excites me. 

Edited by lilroodude

From Jamion Christian's website:

"The process is helped by highlighting versatile players in Christian's "mayhem" system, a pressure defense coupled with a 3-point-centric offense"

"The Mountaineers’ pressing defense combined with their quick, small guards and reliance on the three-point shot, could provide a bad match-up" 

We certainly have the shooters to fulfill his offense, but as much as I would like to see a high pressure defense, can our current players handle it? It is asking a lot to go from  defense in which the guards could not stay in front of their men to a defense about full court pressure.

4 minutes ago, lilroodude said:

MSM to Akron would be a vertical move. 

I know that would be for him to decide, but do you think it's enough?  He's already been in the NCAA Tournament twice.  

I just doubt if coaches in the NEC are aspiring to be MAC coaches.  As I said earlier, I'm sure if they are doing well they are targeting their next move to be much higher.   

7 minutes ago, lilroodude said:

I think a majority of those critical of Dambrot also believe Duquesne to be a lateral move. Not to mention he didn't a good job of kicking us while we are are down a bit with some of his departure comments. 

I can agree with that. I don't really care that he left, it's more of where he went and how he left.

I'm not a fan of the hire for a variety of reasons. But I still dislike it when a coach bails on their alma mater. That should be a place you want to make better, not use it as a stepping stone.

Edited by akzipper