Duquesne Basketball Coach Keith Dambrot

Coach Dambrot at Duquesne  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Seeing that coach Dambrot left Akron out of frustration citing the lack of NCAA bids, how many NCAA trips do you expect him to make at Duquesne?

This poll is closed to new votes

11 minutes ago, ZachTheZip said:

Does nobody remember how OU hit circus shot after circus shot in 2012? Groce got supremely lucky to get those tournament wins. We're banking the future of Akron Zips basketball on luck, and ignoring the fact that we're just as likely to have bad seasons and early conference tournament exits as we are to win. And this is after the shine has worn off of Groce's coaching and recruiting reputations after failing hardcore at Illinois.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good, neither of which were Akron when it came to NCAA Tournament appearances. Fact of the matter is, Groce won NCAA Tournament games and Dambrot didn't. I'll take the lumps if it means the ceiling of what's achieved is higher with Groce. Dambrot had ample opportunities to notch that big win, and never did. 

Embick has had some frustrating seasons with Zips soccer, but the ceiling with him is nearly as high as it was with Porter. 

Edited by lilroodude
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, lilroodude said:

I'll take the lumps if it means the ceiling of what's achieved is higher with Groce. 

That's a gigantic "if", though. Four years from now, are we more likely to have multiple tournament wins, or a .500 record and a few CIT games to show for it? Groce has done bother (Ohio, Illinois), and I know which one is more recent. Also, there's the whole issue of multiple players getting arrested at both stops. Why do you think that pattern will stop now?

19 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

1) Dambrot supporters will continue to highlight his entire body of work.

2) Groce supporters will continue to insist that you ignore the conference records, ignore the two early Quarterfinal losses, and only focus on 2 MAC finals and NCAA games.    

Can't we be supporters of both of their Zip eras?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, LZIp said:

So are you a fan again or not @ZachTheZip??

I am a fan of the Akron Zips. And that's why it's so disconcerting to me that so many fans here hold Dambrot to a much higher standard than they're giving Groce. If certain fans were as excited about consistently winning the MAC East and playing in the MAC championship game as they are currently excited about a season where 15 wins would be a pleasant surprise, we might not have struggled with attendance in past seasons.

2 minutes ago, ZachTheZip said:

I am a fan of the Akron Zips. And that's why it's so disconcerting to me that so many fans here hold Dambrot to a much higher standard than they're giving Groce. If certain fans were as excited about consistently winning the MAC East and playing in the MAC championship game as they are currently excited about a season where 15 wins would be a pleasant surprise, we might not have struggled with attendance in past seasons.

Get some context before spewing that hyperbole.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ZachTheZip said:

That's a gigantic "if", though. Four years from now, are we more likely to have multiple tournament wins, or a .500 record and a few CIT games to show for it? Groce has done bother (Ohio, Illinois), and I know which one is more recent. Also, there's the whole issue of multiple players getting arrested at both stops. Why do you think that pattern will stop now?

1) You can't lump in his tenure at Illinois. It's a completely different animal. 

2) I'll take 2-3 .500 seasons if it means we get an NCAA Tournament win. 

3) If there isn't program growth in 4 years, then I will consider looking for a new coach. However, Dambrot got 12 years or whatever it was, with zero NCAA Tournament wins. I'm willing to take the risk with the supposed "gigantic if". 

4) So the suspensions of Quincy, Treadwell, Harney, Abreu - they never happened? Which by the way, with the national attention the Zips were getting in 2013, that Abreu suspension was doubly embarrassing to the program, university, and fan base, which was then followed up with an equally embarrassing 40 point loss to VCU in the NCAA Tournament. 

Edited by lilroodude
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Can't we be supporters of both of their Zip eras?

Tell us what you think.  

I think it actually reached another level of contentiousness a few days ago, when a poster asked everyone to "shut up about Dambrot".....in the Dambrot thread....and a couple of others actually "liked" the post.

50 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

I think I can appreciate what KD did and be supportive of Groce hopefully taking the next step. 

Perfecto!  Some folks who like to criticize the previous staff thinks the new staff should be above said criticism.  The fact is, a lot of folks had grown stale to winning 20-26 games every year and playing a bunch of games in Cleveland, never to get that perfect confluence of events that led to a win in the Big Dance.  Some of us valued those wins, some of them found them empty because of the lack of tournament wins.  It's all in what you value more. 

The way I look at it, Groce and company had one mediocre season and 3 above average to great ones (edit: at Ohio).  I'm happy if his path leads the same way in Akron.   I just find it a little difficult to completely negate the results of his years in Illinois.  I have no doubts the Big Ten is a different animal that the MAC, but I'd think a decent coach with at or above average talent for the conference would at least be at .500 within the conference over 4 years, if not a little above.  The 14 games below .500 or whatever it was scares me just a little bit.  

In the end, we're all fans and we all want the team to succeed.  This group seems to be the type to really bust their asses and hopefully everything gels in the best possible way.  We all just want wins, right?

Edited by RowdyZip

On 11/16/2017 at 12:13 PM, GJGood said:

I started following the Zips about two years before Hipsher was hired and if you thought watching Hipsher's teams was difficult be thankful you weren't around to watch the Coleman Crawford years.

I bought my first season tickets in Crawford’s first season, because the upper chairbacks got cheaper once Huggins left...I was also one of the “bagheads”wearing a shopping bag over my head (much to the chagrin of my 6 year old son) in his last season there....tell you where GJGood and I are coming from?

Crawford’s last season was the first year I started following the Zips. I think I remember the ABJ wanting UA to retain Crawford because he had a son who was a great player at Firestone. After Crawford got canned I believe I remember his son signing with Florida State.

Back then I remember watching one of my all-time favorite Zips -Tron Jenkins ???

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I think I remember the ABJ wanting UA to retain Crawford because he had a son who was a great player at Firestone. After Crawford got canned I believe I remember his son signing with Florida State.

Back then I remember watching one of my all-time favorite Zips -Tron Jenkins ???

You have the story right about Crawford,  you're just missing a few facts about his son.  He played at Barberton in High School, and then followed his dad to an Assistant job at Tulsa.  Then when his dad got the Assistant job at Florida State, he transferred there. 

When I saw him play in high school, he was so gifted and smooth for his age.  He was unusually tall for a guy who handled the ball and could play the point, and he scored plenty too.  

Tron was one of my favorites too.  And another Barberton grad.   Crawford used to say he had "intestinal fortitude".  He was a tough guy.  Fun to watch.  

• Thanks 1

If there was anybody who would need intestinal fortitude it would be Dad Crawford if he ever came on here to read about his record in his only career collegiate head coaching job.  I can tell you from experience, the two gentlemen linked here expressed that Coleman was the finest assistant coach they had ever worked with.  http://www.goheels.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1947&path=mbball    http://wvusports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=48&path=mbball

And from a guy who only watched two of his games as Akron HC (in 1990 at the University of Hawaii's Klum Gymnasium), and a handful as assistant at Fla St and SMU I would vouch that Coleman is as personable and approachable as anyone I've ever met in the coaching or athletics profession.  The last I heard he was working individually with players in the Dallas area, after a stint as a junior college coach in the Big D.  Hope I get to see him again.  Truly a winner! :wave:

1 hour ago, Z.I.P. said:

If there was anybody who would need intestinal fortitude it would be Dad Crawford if he ever came on here to read about his record in his only career collegiate head coaching job.  I can tell you from experience, the two gentlemen linked here expressed that Coleman was the finest assistant coach they had ever worked with.  http://www.goheels.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1947&path=mbball    http://wvusports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=48&path=mbball

And from a guy who only watched two of his games as Akron HC (in 1990 at the University of Hawaii's Klum Gymnasium), and a handful as assistant at Fla St and SMU I would vouch that Coleman is as personable and approachable as anyone I've ever met in the coaching or athletics profession.  The last I heard he was working individually with players in the Dallas area, after a stint as a junior college coach in the Big D.  Hope I get to see him again.  Truly a winner! :wave:

Never questioned or said anything bad about the man.  Criticized his coaching and recruiting.  Can do so without the former....

http://www.wtae.com/article/duquesne-basketball-2018-19-recruiting-class/13530114

Duquesne University head men's basketball coach Keith Dambrot has announced the signing of a five-man recruiting class to National Letters of Intent.

The group, consisting of 6-11 small forward Gavin Bizeau (Plainfield, Ind./Plainfield), 6-9 power forward Amari Kelly (Roosevelt, N.Y./Norcross, Ga. Meadowcreek), 6-10 power forward Austin Rotroff (Wauseon, Ohio/Wauseon), 6-11 center Dylan Swingle (Chillicothe, Ohio/Paint Valley) and 6-2 point guard Brandon Wade (Ann Arbor, Mich./Skyline) comprise the tallest single recruiting class in school history.

It's funny really, the few people on this board that were so bored with winning the MAC and just missing those NCAA wins, have now turned Keith Dambrot into some kind of villain.  I don't get it, but to each their own.  The guy did unimaginable things with a program that was mediocre at best for decades. 

Imagine a football coach coming in and winning 8 to11 games per year for a decade.  He moves on, are you mad we didn't win a New Years bowl?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3