Duquesne Basketball Coach Keith Dambrot

Coach Dambrot at Duquesne  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Seeing that coach Dambrot left Akron out of frustration citing the lack of NCAA bids, how many NCAA trips do you expect him to make at Duquesne?

This poll is closed to new votes

11 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Another one in the "L" column for the Dukes. To paraphrase David Lee Roth - Where have all the cupcakes gone?

Well UMASS was supposed to be a cupcake as they were they last place team in a down A10 prior to last nights win over the Dookies.

Akron and Duquesne both play on Thursday. Duquesne plays at 6pm, and Akron plays around 9pm. Which game will some of this thread's participants attend...? Do they make the drive to support KD or do they head to Cleveland to support Akron? Quite the dilemma... ;):P

Sorry, I had to have some fun with this one. :lol: Go Zips. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1) While there's obviously a lot of Zips fans that want to see Keith do well, I don't expect Akron fans attending a pre-game for our own tournament game to be hooting and hollering for a Duquesne basketball game. 

2) I just hope that enough Akron fans make the trip up there tonight to call it a "bar crowd".  

I thought this was pretty interesting when I looked at the NCAA Tournament bracket this evening.  

I could go through this thread and see post after post from the Dambrot Haters, discrediting their accomplishments this season, saying that the A-10 was a "weak" and "down" league, and that the MAC is better.  

Yet, I see that they put 3 Teams in the NCAA Tournament.  

47 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I thought this was pretty interesting when I looked at the NCAA Tournament bracket this evening.  

I could go through this thread and see post after post from the Dambrot Haters, discrediting their accomplishments this season, saying that the A-10 was a "weak" and "down" league, and that the MAC is better.  

Yet, I see that they put 3 Teams in the NCAA Tournament.  

The A-10 is down troll and the MAC is better using your favorite measuring stick - RPI. Only 2 teams would have been in if it weren't for Davidson winning the tournament. HOW AWESOME. Get a life and don't forget to put your season ticket deposit for the Dookies down, troll.

Sorry you're so sad and angry, and feel compelled to react by resorting to name-calling.   Ask mommy to make you milk and cookies and tuck you into bed, and it will feel better in the morning.  

Davidson's win meant that they could have easily been justified in eliminating another A-10 team.  Instead, they gave an additional A-10 team an AT-LARGE bid.  Nice try.  

A-10 - 3

MAC - 1

You can easily go away now and stop watching for every new Dambrot post to come up on your screen, since you "don't care about him".  Right?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, LZIp said:

The A-10 is down troll and the MAC is better using your favorite measuring stick - RPI. Only 2 teams would have been in if it weren't for Davidson winning the tournament. HOW AWESOME. Get a life and don't forget to put your season ticket deposit for the Dookies down, troll.

the foe feature is your friend ;)

• Like 1

So the A10 puts 3 teams in the NCAA tournament, yet still finishes behind the MAC in conference RPI. How bad is the rest of that conference? :rolleyes:

Skip, have you heard if any Pittsburgh-area mechanics have reached out to Duquesne to offer their services? There was a lot of oil leaking from the men's basketball program during the second half of the season. Who knows if the rest of the engine/transmission blew with the double digit loss to a 20-loss team in the conference tournament...

It will be interesting to see what is easier -

• Winning the 1-bid MAC, with its tourney held 35 miles north of Akron?
  • Being the #2 or #3 team in the A-10, where you'll need to annually finish above VCU, Rhode Island, Dayton, Saint Joe's and whomever else might be hot (like Davidson or  Saint Bonaventure)?

I'm thinking winning the MAC is a much easier route to the NCAA's. Just look at all the teams that couldn't beat the crippled Zips this year.

Dambrot predicted Akron would be "Gonzaga of the East." If he said "MAC East," he'd have been much more accurate. I don't think anything I ever saw from him at his time at UA, or this season at Duquesne, foreshadows him having massive success in the A-10. 

He'll do ok. I hope he's happy there.

4 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

• Being the #2 or #3 team in the A-10, where you'll need to annually finish above VCU, Rhode Island, Dayton, Saint Joe's and whomever else might be hot (like Davidson or  Saint Bonaventure)?

I'm thinking winning the MAC is a much easier route to the NCAA's. Just look at all the teams that couldn't beat the crippled Zips this year.

Dambrot predicted Akron would be "Gonzaga of the East." If he said "MAC East," he'd have been much more accurate. I don't think anything I ever saw from him at his time at UA, or this season at Duquesne, foreshadows him having massive success in the A-10. 

We always had some top teams in the MAC in basketball and it's fluctuated around, but what I'm seeing developing is maybe a situation where there is a permanent underclass in the MAC and maybe some multiple bids from the top group similar to A10.  I think Akron and Miami will move to the top tier with Buffalo.   Maybe Toledo will hang around at the top.  As for KD, he did wonderful things for our program but he stalled out and didn't have the recruits to continue.

20 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

It all depends on how they can do recruiting.  I think he's off to a nice start with his 2018 class.  

A 25-win St. Bonaventure team just got an at-large with only one or two solid non-conference wins.  I'll take a small chance of at-large there versus my season coming down to 3 (or 4) conference tournameny games in March.

23 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

So the A10 puts 3 teams in the NCAA tournament, yet still finishes behind the MAC in conference RPI. How bad is the rest of that conference? :rolleyes:

Skip, have you heard if any Pittsburgh-area mechanics have reached out to Duquesne to offer their services? There was a lot of oil leaking from the men's basketball program during the second half of the season. Who knows if the rest of the engine/transmission blew with the double digit loss to a 20-loss team in the conference tournament...

Too bad they couldn't finish strong like we did... ;)

The MAC's issue is we have a few above average teams and a bunch of mediocre ones. It's much better to be a top heavy heavy conference like the WCC if the goal is to get multiple bids.

On another note, the season is over now. Can we put to rest the Duquesne - Akron comparisons please?

2 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

The MAC's issue is we have a few above average teams and a bunch of mediocre ones. It's much better to be a top heavy heavy conference like the WCC if the goal is to get multiple bids.

On another note, the season is over now. Can we put to rest the Duquesne - Akron comparisons please?

Yes and no. It's only better to be in a top-heavy conference if you're at the top.

3 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Until Dambrot retires, I don't think the comparisons will ever be put to rest. Dambrot made it well known his frustrations with Akron and the MAC. Duquense and the A10 is pretty much exactly what he was looking for. Nobody cares about Duquense; we care about Dambrot at Duquesne. Let's see if it was Akron/the MAC holding him back, or if his ceiling is lower than he thinks and has been reached. 

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Dr Z said:

Did anybody wonder if KD has ever been in this situation“Never,” Dambrot responded when asked if he had ever been in this situation. “Never, never, never never.”

-Sarah Spencer of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

kd.jpg

Caption this photo...

"Is that how quickly my hair color can change to grey when I don't win 20 games?!"

Edited by Let'sGoZips94