Duquesne Basketball Coach Keith Dambrot

Coach Dambrot at Duquesne  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Seeing that coach Dambrot left Akron out of frustration citing the lack of NCAA bids, how many NCAA trips do you expect him to make at Duquesne?

This poll is closed to new votes

I think most people here can probably tell the difference between someone fairly and accurately acknowledging the quick resurgence of Duquesne basketball, vs. those who react to what's happening there as if they somehow feel like they still have an ax to grind with Keith.  

Knocking off the new Duquesne had tremendous meaning to them.  Watch the reaction of the players, staff, and fans in the video at the end of the game.  

I wonder how they reacted when they beat 3-15 Duquesne last year?

2 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I think most people here can probably tell the difference between someone fairly and accurately acknowledging the quick resurgence of Duquesne basketball, vs. those who react to what's happening there as if they somehow feel like they still have an ax to grind with Keith.  

Knocking off the new Duquesne had tremendous meaning to them.  Watch the reaction of the players, staff, and fans in the video at the end of the game.  

I wonder how they reacted when they beat 3-15 Duquesne last year?

You can't possibly think knocking off Duquesne meant that much to them, right? 

They're a top 25 team and the cream of the crop in a down A10 this year. They struggled mightily all game, shooting around 30% from the floor at the half or something like that, and won on a buzzer beater 3. Anybody with a pulse is going to be excited for a win like that, and the fans helped will them to victory in that second half. My bet would be they wanted to see their team remain in the top 25 and undefeated in the A10, not because of a strong desire to beat the new-and-improved mighty Dukes of Duquesne. 

Dambrot has the Dukes playing at an exciting new level for what they're used to at Duquesne.  He's a good coach, and I don't think that has ever been denied, but he has a ceiling that he has yet to break through. This was a typical Dambrot loss, no matter the state of the program, and that's what my comment was in regards to. We saw it plenty of times here at Akron - Nevada, VCU, NIT games, MAC tourney games, etc. And I'm telling you, the state of the A10 this year is aiding the appearance of the quick turnaround at Duquesne. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, skip-zip said:

The Dukes snap a string of 8 years of consecutive road losses at George Washington last night.  

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2018/01/31/duquesne-george-washington-75-73-recap/

Isn't GW 9-13...good for 13th in the 14-team A-10?

Nice 2-point win for the Dukes. :bow:

19 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

For those keeping track - the Dukes have dropped 5 of their last 7, most-recently falling to the 10-12 Dayton Flyers by 15 last night (88-73).

A big Fordham cupcake this weekend may be just what the doctor ordered for the former Zips HC?

I thought it was a little quiet in this one. Also for those keeping track (and felt the need to point out them beating Dayton earlier in the season at home even though we lost), they just lost to Dayton by more than we did at their place.

21 hours ago, LZIp said:

The Dukes getting absolutely crushed on their home court by last place A-10, 8-15 Fordham for those of you keeping score at home.

Just saw this. I laughed. I need to go read Shoo Shoo Rah Rah to see if there is any rah rah on the board.

Update: I did. Whoa. :eek:

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

28 minutes ago, UAZip0510 said:

Some of you taking joy in Duquesne losses is one of the weirder subplots of the 17-18 season.

Those taking joy in Duquesne's wins is the weirdest subplot of the 17-18 season. Frankly I only point it out due to the knob-slobbin' that was taking place in this thread earlier in the season, especially when it comes in the form of discrediting our current coach.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Those taking joy in Duquesne's wins is the weirdest subplot of the 17-18 season. Frankly I only point it out due to the knob-slobbin' that was taking place in this thread earlier in the season, especially when it comes in the form of discrediting our current coach.

It's fine if you choose not to, but it's not at all weird to wish success to the most successful coach in our program's history in his new job.

Edited by UAZip0510

11 minutes ago, UAZip0510 said:

It's fine if you choose not to, but it's not at all weird to wish success to the most successful coach in our program's history in his new job.

Idk.... I doubt any OU fans are wishing Groce success here. It's not like he left us for a clearly better job a la Fleck to Minnesota, Groce to IL, etc., etc. He is still the competition..whether it be for current players (the ones he took), future players (we've already recruited against him multiple times), fans (seems like some people were more KD fans than Zips fans), and even on the court (if he ever has the cojones to schedule us).

Not saying you, but its interesting to me that there are people who are the biggest OSU haters on the site and claim that they are our competition, yet are seemingly rooting for KD at Duquesne. Different strokes for different folks I suppose. It is a bit agitating to see this board praising a coach who Akron wasn't good enough for. Its very easy to argue he took a step down while taking a slight pay raise. And yes, I certainly appreciated what he did he and wish he didn't leave before anyone tries to say otherwise.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, UAZip0510 said:

I've rooted for Bob Huggins ever since he left here to go to Cincinnati, even though our program tanked after his departure, and he took Buford with him.  

In one sense, I think I knew that I could always point to his beginnings at Akron to everyone I encounter who's a college basketball fan, once he was successful at a higher level.  And I still do that to this day. 

But more importantly,  I simply have rooted for him to do well as my "thank you" for everything he did for Akron, and all of the joy I got to be a part of during my student days.      

• Like 1

On 2/10/2018 at 1:37 PM, LZIp said:

The Dukes getting absolutely crushed on their home court by last place A-10, 8-15 Fordham for those of you keeping score at home.

Those who are truly keeping score at home can see that Duquesne has already DOUBLED their win total from last year, and did so before the month of February even began, under some really difficult circumstances in terms of personnel availability.  

As I said earlier, if a few of you enjoy waiting  for a loss to occur so you can run to this thread to post something negative (see above), you're clearly displaying your agenda.   

Edited by skip-zip