Duquesne Basketball Coach Keith Dambrot

Coach Dambrot at Duquesne  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Seeing that coach Dambrot left Akron out of frustration citing the lack of NCAA bids, how many NCAA trips do you expect him to make at Duquesne?

This poll is closed to new votes

On 1/13/2018 at 4:50 PM, K92 said:

I would just like to add to LRD’s post that Keith’s feelings were hurt by the comments made on this forum.  That was probably as big of a factor as anything in his leaving if the truth was known.  Oh, and the money.

So you are saying that a measley 10 to 20 guys/girls who post things on a forum made a coach leave a DI basketball program?  K92, what the heck?  If that's the case this guy was a real wack job....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

Are we still talking about this? 

Yeah...I know....but I was bored and there wasn't a lot on the other Forums and I got sucked in to going to the highlighted one...off topic and jokes.  Man, can't help myself sometimes.

I think it further illustrates that Keith is a good coach who has turned around the Dukes. It also says he is a good coach who did not want to be at Akron. I'm OK with that because I don't want anyone who doesn't want to be here. Good luck at Duquesne. I like the coach we now have.

8 hours ago, skip-zip said:

This comment should even further illustrate just how bad Duquesne was before his arrival.  

The Dukes finished 3-15 last year in this same conference, against these same "cupcake" teams.  

Last year they had 3 teams get into the tournament with a few other solid teams.  This year it's Rhode Island and a bunch of 500 or below teams.   MAC is superior this year.

Since you brought it up....http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html

But whether the MAC or A-10 ends up being better this year is not why people are posting here.  We're posting because when you compare Duquesne against themselves, it's an eye-popping difference between last year and this year.  Even the biggest Dambrot supporters certainly couldn't have predicted that they'd improve this much, and this fast.  

11 hours ago, skip-zip said:

This comment should even further illustrate just how bad Duquesne was before his arrival.  

The Dukes finished 3-15 last year in this same conference, against these same "cupcake" teams.  

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

Since you brought it up....http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html

But whether the MAC or A-10 ends up being better this year is not why people are posting here.  We're posting because when you compare Duquesne against themselves, it's an eye-popping difference between last year and this year.  Even the biggest Dambrot supporters certainly couldn't have predicted that they'd improve this much, and this fast.  

It is not the same conference or "cupcake" teams. Last year, the A10 finished 8th in conference RPI. They had 8 teams finish in the top 137, 3 of which finished in the top 31. They currently have 4 teams in the top 150, 2 of which are in the top 50, with a conference RPI of 10. For comparison, the MAC had a conference RPI of 14 last year, which has improved to 11 this year, with 5 teams in the top 150; the MAC also has a better winning percentage than the A10, albeit against a weaker SOS.  

I didn't think Duquesne would be towards the top of the A10 standings, but I also didn't expect the A10 to be so down this year. They have a sophomore stud in Mike Lewis II that is helping carry the team, and they have an atrociously low SOS (333) which they've taken advantage of. I still contend that part of why Dambrot left was he somehow knew that the A10 would be down. He also left the cupboard more bare in Akron than what he left for at Duquesne.

It's no secret I have been and am very critical of Dambrot. I don't necessarily know if those who support him quite understand the side of those who are critical of him. In my opinion, Dambrot was a good/great coach to take Akron from a bottom-of-the-cellar MAC and mid-major program, to a top of the MAC and mid-major contender. The honeymoon period of that level of success ended in 2013 with the embarrassing loss to VCU in the NCAA Tournament, and continued to down-spiral from there with no return to the Big Dance in his final 4 seasons at Akron and continued disappointment in big games. 

I'm not surprised Dambrot has won more than 10 games at Duquesne this year, and I wouldn't be surprised (after seeing the level of the A10 this year) if he approaches 20 wins. That's his method of operation - schedule weaker competition, pray on a weaker conference, and build a "winning" reputation. As previously mentioned, a TAMU or Texas Tech coach used this strategy. It is yet to be seen if Dambrot can turn his regular season "success" into NCAA Tournament success, which is where his fallout occurred at Akron.

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

It is yet to be seen if Dambrot can turn his regular season "success" into NCAA Tournament success

Despite your condescension, if he can get them to the NCAA Tournament this year, that would indeed be a Miraculous turnaround. 

That won't happen.  They will still struggle this year, until much-needed reinforcements get there next season.   But nobody could have predicted what we've seen so far. 

No need to comment on all of the other material in your post, which appears to be rehashing things about his Akron accomplishments that have been debated over, and over and over again on this forum.  

15 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

For those keeping track

I follow since DK Pittsburgh Sports covers them so well. Duquesne is back in action Saturday at 24th-ranked Rhode Island

Chris Mueller wrote an very informative piece the other day. He does a great job. I'm jealous. 

5 hours ago, Dr Z said:

I follow since DK Pittsburgh Sports covers them so well. Duquesne is back in action Saturday at 24th-ranked Rhode Island

Chris Mueller wrote an very informative piece the other day. He does a great job. I'm jealous. 

Mueller resigned from DK today after the Deadspin article came out

^^Yawn. I took a peak over there a while back and fans were already growing restless a few games into his tenure after losses to inter-city rivals Robert Morris and Pitt. Get some context Elton, of course Duquesne fans are going to love this compared to what they've dealt with the past 30 years.

Being overanalyzed for faults in victory is a sign of a good program. It's natural to want more, especially when those victories weren't leading to anything meaningful in the post season. If you can't handle it, go to a shitty program with no expectations like KD did. I can't remember anyone calling for his head. Shame on us for hoping to raise expectations to something other than a 21+ win season over cupcakes, disappointing MAC-C loss, and inevitable first round NIT/CBI/CIT exit. :rolleyes: I guess he's never watched a Buckeye game?  People get disappointed if they don't win half of their games by 40+ points. The Steelers just let go of their OC after getting the #2 seed in the conference. Bo Pelini got fired from Nebraska for winning 9 games every year. What was Mike Brown's winning % (the first time he was fired) or David Blatt's when he was let go? I can go on and on.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 6

I'm with you, Kreed.  I want to give LZip some props for giving a good analysis of how things naturally change when a program starts to become consistently successful.  I think maybe he's mellowed a bit from his "I am going to bash Dambrot at every opportunity" post from earlier in this thread.    

I think one thing is forgotten as the Dambrot banter continues.  No matter where we all stand on our satisfaction level, ALL of us share in the disappointment of the MAC title game losses, and ALL of us share in the disappointment that we didn't win an NCAA tournament game during his tenure.  Those disappointments are not only felt by those who choose to minimize all of Keith's accomplishments.  Those trips back from Cleveland on those Saturday nights were painful.  

LZip....As a factual correction, I think you should have just checked your "inevitable first round NIT losses" comment.  On 3 different occasions, we won first round games and advanced to the 2nd round of the NIT.  For those of us who had to endure Akron Basketball between 1989 (Huggins departure) and 2004 (Keith's arrival), those triumphs certainly are not forgotten. :D

• Like 1