If you were the Athletic Director...

NWAkron

15 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I'm generally in agreement here.  As a fan, I think it's cool when we have Akron boys, and even Ohio boys to some extent.  But in my desire to win, I want us to go wherever we need to go to get the best players.  

:bow:

Basketball recruiting classes typically consist of 2-3 guys. I want the 2-3 best players that we can get regardless of what state or even country they come from. In football where you need 15-20 guys per class it becomes more important to be able to recruit locally.

8 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

:bow:

Basketball recruiting classes typically consist of 2-3 guys. I want the 2-3 best players that we can get regardless of what state or even country they come from. In football where you need 15-20 guys per class it becomes more important to be able to recruit locally.

And to add to that, I think it says something about your program when people see this D-1 school from Ohio that has a player from Las Vegas and Houston, etc.  I think it can demonstrate to some people that you have some notoriety and have a reach that's far greater than your area.  On several occassions over the last few years, I've had people look at me and say......"Your PG is from Vegas?"  So, it has some fascination with fans.  I'm sure most of the "Joe Akron's" out there don't see Akron as having to ability to reach players like that.    

3 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

And to add to that, I think it says something about your program when people see this D-1 school from Ohio that has a player from Las Vegas and Houston, etc.  I think it can demonstrate to some people that you have some notoriety and have a reach that's far greater than your area.  On several occassions over the last few years, I've had people look at me and say......"Your PG is from Vegas?"  So, it has some fascination with fans.  I'm sure most of the "Joe Akron's" out there don't see Akron as having to ability to reach players like that.    

Good point.

11 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I was from Gage Street. 526 Gage Street, to be specific. But I couldn't play worth a damn.

I'd be more impressed if you said you spent your 4 years of college on Kathryn Place.  

i only have big, bad "Sumner Street" to brag about.  

Edited by skip-zip

8 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I'd be more impressed if you said you spent your 4 years of college on Kathryn Place.  

i only have big, bad "Sumner Street" to brag about.  

Kirkwood, Gage, Conmore Court and Brown street here.  I liked to switch it up.

7 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

If you were far enough down Brown St.,, you get some extra "street cred" points.  

Close enough to hear gunplay but far enough away to avoid street cred.

Edited by K92
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

You know, these kinds of conversations remind me of how much we all have in common (besides just being Zips fans), as opposed to all of the time we spend here arguing and criticizing each other.  It's refreshing and entertaining.  We need more of that. 

Awwwwww, group hug everybody.  :cheers:

• Like 2

Basement apartment on Exchange Street between the Townhouse Bar and its parking lot. People used to stop and pee on my windows in the bushes by the house (and not always guys but maybe some of you - lol). Since torn down and replaced by the head shop that was displaced by Infocision.

34 minutes ago, MDZip said:

Basement apartment on Exchange Street between the Townhouse Bar and its parking lot.

The Townhouse had a parking lot?  I guess I wouldn't remember because I always walked there.  I remember when that place was so popular that people would stand outside in a snowstorm with no coat on, to wait in line to get in there.  The groups of people standing out there would often even venture into the street and block traffic.  And once you got in, you couldn't move anyway, or get to the bar or bathroom.  Crazy times.  Now that I'm in my mid-50's, if I see a bar like that today, I turn around and go somewhere else.  

4 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Fir Hill.  Shared a 3 bedroom apt.  I think I had my own bath and balcony.  Loved it.

Spoiled !!  You needed to endure some of the ghetto living that some of the rest of us experienced.  It builds character :lol:   And I came to Akron from the country, so this place was a complete culture shock to me.  

10 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Spoiled !!  You needed to endure some of the ghetto living that some of the rest of us experienced.  It builds character :lol:   And I came to Akron from the country, so this place was a complete culture shock to me.  

Oh, I did.  A friend convinced me to move out of my deluxe apartment in the sky and get an apartment with him because one of his 8 roommates had a cat.  I felt sorry for him and ended up on Zahn Drive!  I can match you ghetto for ghetto.

Edited by NWAkron

4 minutes ago, MDZip said:

Yep and according to Google Earth its still there right next to Kathryn Place.

I know the spot you're talking about now.  I had no idea that was their parking lot.  

4 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I can match you ghetto for ghetto.

:lol:

Hey, I can hold my own.  My Sumner house was past Thornton near the highway.  Amazingly, most of those houses are still standing.