NWAkron

Someone with

- young successful DI head coaching experience
- open minded in X's and O's of basketball
- willing to make changes within the program when needed
- be involved in the community
- Energetic, young coach that is looking to move up

EDIT: Forgot to add one last one

Willing to play a tough non-conference schedule, but not a suicidal non-conference schedule.

Edited by mes102

4 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Somebody that has more than one inbounds play in his repetoire of coaching skills!

I don't even know if that one inbounds play is even considered an inbounds play. It's more like, "just get the ball in because I don't trust you to score off of an inbounds play" situation.

Edited by mes102

24 minutes ago, mes102 said:

Someone with

- young successful DI head coaching experience

- Energetic, young coach that is looking to move up

If these 2 qualifications are possessed by the same person, he's looking much higher than Akron.  

25 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Somebody that has more than one inbounds play in his repetoire of coaching skills!

I had to laugh at this......Except for the end of the Ball State game at home, when it led directly to a game winning bucket.  

My actual thoughts are very similar to what CK posted in another thread. There's value in going in another direction and finding something new. There's value in continuity, as heck, the past 13 years were pretty good. But most importantly, it has to be right. There are splash hires that can create excitement, but everyone forgets that pretty quickly if you're sitting in the middle of the MAC in February. 

30 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

If these 2 qualifications are possessed by the same person, he's looking much higher than Akron.

Do you think so? Jamion Christian and Nick McDevitt fit those 2 qualifications. And those are just the two that I know.

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

If you found yourself as athletic director for the month of April, what qualities would you be looking for in a coach?

I personally want a fresh start, a new face, that will excite the campus and community at large.

A charismatic salesman that can close the deal(s) for some contributions large enough to proceed with a JAR overhaul.

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

Ok, then lets say "low level" successful D-1 coach, and we might have a shot.  

Success is still success to me. Doesn't matter if it's at a lower level or not. Just as long as they're the head coach, and not an assistant coach.

• Like 1

• An excellent recruiter who will be willing to dig deep to find the talent that fits his scheme
  • A guy who has shown the ability not only to bring in talent but to develop that talent and have his players improve during their college careers
  • Connected, as in somebody who has the connections necessary to hire the best like-minded staff necessary
  • Ability to think outside the box and adapt to whatever may happen

This list is why I like Steele and Stewart. I don't know much about McDevitt, Ja. Christian, Loyer or most of the other potential candidates other than what I have read here.

10 hours ago, mes102 said:

Success is still success to me. Doesn't matter if it's at a lower level or not. 

I mostly agree.  But that's not was I was responding to.  I was responding to someone who wanted D-1 Coaching Success, and I was questioning whether someone who's already had D-1 head coaching success would be attainable for us, unless they were at a lower level than Akron.  

1a. A great recruiter

1b. A great recruiter

1c. A great recruiter

2. An aggressive style of ball, both offensively and defensively.  We will be able to employ a more athletic and exciting style of basketball because he is such a great recruiter (see points 1a -through- 1c.) As someone else mentioned, watching the Zips recently had been akin to watching paint dry.

3. Someone who will cultivate relationships w/ the HS basketball coaches of NEO and & erect a fence around the State of Akron to keep local talent local.  As TB now appears to be doing w/ the FB program (HALLELUJAH!!!), the BB program will be the hip "place to be" for local athletes.

4. A good developer of talent.

5. Someone willing to spend 15 minutes on YouTube looking at inbounds plays.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

3. Someone who will cultivate relationships w/ the HS basketball coaches of NEO and & erect a fence around the State of Akron to keep local talent local.  As TB now appears to be doing w/ the FB program (HALLELUJAH!!!), the BB program will be the hip "place to be" for local athletes.

This is an interesting statement.  Putting a fence around Akron would be great, but these kids don't need Akron to stay "local".  I believe we have 13 D-1 programs in this State?  And with Dayton, Xavier and Cincinnati being national title competitive?  And 4 of those D-1 schools are within an hour of Akron?

I think it's very realistic to be out-recruiting the other Ohio MAC schools.  Beyond that, it's tough to compete against a few of the others unless maybe they fall on some misfortune and the landscape changes.  

On the plus size, this isn't football.  You only need a few guys a year.  And there's only 2 choices in NE Ohio in D-1A.  

9 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

This is an interesting statement.  Putting a fence around Akron would be great, but these kids don't need Akron to stay "local".  I believe we have 13 D-1 programs in this State?  And with Dayton, Xavier and Cincinnati being national title competitive?  And 4 of those D-1 schools are within an hour of Akron?

I think it's very realistic to be out-recruiting the other Ohio MAC schools.  Beyond that, it's tough to compete against a few of the others unless maybe they fall on some misfortune and the landscape changes.  

On the plus size, this isn't football.  You only need a few guys a year.  And there's only 2 choices in NE Ohio in D-1A.  

I think sometimes there's a very simple factor that makes it tough to keep local kids here- some kids want to go away for school. 

• Like 3

Of the Zips all-time great players, how many were from Akron? Some...sure. But many were from elsewhere. You limit yourself if you focus on "locking-down" the Akron area.

If we have a great coach and a great program, the better local kids will organically gravitate towards UA. Show them a little recruiting "love," and they're a Zip.

If the Zips want to compete as a high mid-major, they still need to recruit regionally/nationally. 

37 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Congrats to Akron, our 51st State..;)

Guess I'm a Governor now..

27 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I think sometimes there's a very simple factor that makes it tough to keep local kids here- some kids want to go away for school. 

(saving my likes just in case we get a new coach today)  100% agree especially when a full scholarship is involved.

41 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Of the Zips all-time great players, how many were from Akron? Some...sure. But many were from elsewhere. You limit yourself if you focus on "locking-down" the Akron area.

If the Zips want to compete as a high mid-major, they still need to recruit regionally/nationally. 

I'm generally in agreement here.  As a fan, I think it's cool when we have Akron boys, and even Ohio boys to some extent.  But in my desire to win, I want us to go wherever we need to go to get the best players.