John Groce Officially Hired

Dr Z

John Groce as the head coach at Akron  

88 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of John Groce?

This poll is closed to new votes

47 minutes ago, jupitertoo said:

His wife is not a diva.

I think you may have missed this one in another thread. I think that was the point.

I'm always entertained by the OU fans with the "Crakron" references.  

If you go back a few pages on that blog, you can read some really horrible stuff about Akron and how no coach's wife (Mrs. Groce for one) would ever agree to allow her husband to take a job here because this is a dead, failing, awful hell mouth of a city.

I know this is a dream and not happening.

Wanted to put that first, but can you imagine if Groce agreed to work for free or insanely low money for the first two years as long as UA agreed to put the salary he would have been payed towards an arena renovation. He still would get the same pay from Illinois and that would be a nice chunk of change to get the university started.

Even if it was just a higher scouting budget or an upgraded player locker/hang out room to make UA more desireable, at face value this could be a big opportunity to improve the program.

Edited by UAZippers

3 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

I'd rather the excess money go toward his assistants if that happened. A few hundred grand might get us a couple new bathrooms.

I thought about the assistants, the problem would be that UA would have to continue to pay the higher salary once they start paying Groce as well, or the assistants would all get a pay cut heading into year 3.

I would gladly take a couple new bathrooms at the JAR.

Totally realistic about this.   Akron made a solid hire.   And I think and hope the players will respect him and want to earn his respect.  I don't expect an IMMEDIATE (clarifying) repeat of the Kitten  NCAA success.  But maybe now we can look forward to the end of the season and the MAC tournament without total fear and loathing.

Edited by NWAkron

10 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Totally realistic about this.   Akron made a solid hire.   And I think and hope the players will respect him and want to earn his respect.  I don't expect a repeat of the Kitten  NCAA success.  But maybe now we can look forward to the end of the season and the MAC tournament without total fear and loathing.

I do. If you don't expect that, then why hire him?