John Groce Officially Hired

Dr Z

John Groce as the head coach at Akron  

88 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of John Groce?

This poll is closed to new votes

4 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

Is it poaching, or is it the athletes feeling that a degree from a Big 10 or other major conference school will be better for their career than a degree from a MAC or Horizon school?

No, they think that other major conference schools will be better for their hoped-for future basketball career than MAC or Horizon schools.  

If some of these kids are seeing stars in their eyes because they have a chance to be playing somewhere more high profile, I doubt if any part of that decision involved the fact that a "more recognized" school will be on their future degree.....if they ever plan to get that degree during the time they spend at that school at all.  

4 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

No, they think that other major conference schools will be better for their hoped-for future basketball career than MAC or Horizon schools.  

If some of these kids are seeing stars in their eyes because they have a chance to be playing somewhere more high profile, I doubt if any part of that decision involved the fact that a "more recognized" school will be on their future degree.....if they ever plan to get that degree during the time they spend at that school at all.  

Agreed, I think.

But how many athletes are really successful at this?
The P5 schools are loaded with great players. No one we have had recently would necessarily be a standout on a ranked team. And don't say Big Dog, his recognition stopped at the MAC level.

15 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

Is it poaching, or is it the athletes feeling that a degree from a Big 10 or other major conference school will be better for their career than a degree from a MAC or Horizon school?

We are talking about grad transfers. They already have their degree from the MAC or Horizon school. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

We are talking about grad transfers. They already have their degree from the MAC or Horizon school. 

OK, well I don't see that as poaching.

The player does not have to sit out a year, and can join a team that at least has realistic NCAA chances. That would probably be a big deal for a MAC player who never got a whiff of The Dance.

I think I'd modify my thinking a bit if we are talking about MAC/Horizon kids who are simply transferring as a grad for their last year.  My comments were directed towards a typical transfer.  But, that also doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't focused on the possibility of playing basketball as a lucrative career after that final year, vs. how they viewed the MAC/Horizon school's ability to deliver on that dream.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

Back in the day many students transferred from UA to tOSU after freshman year because it was a "better" school.

I may be too skeptical, but I don't think most D1 basketball players are looking at the strength of their degree.   

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Jalapeño Zippy said:

I thought Dalton opened a spot for Duvivier but some on here are saying Dalton wasn't on Scholly...

I believe what has been mentioned on here in the past is that Dalton was a walk-on last season with expectations of being on scholly this season. So him leaving essentially opened up the scholly for Duvivier at the time. Someone correct me if I am wrong...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I believe what has been mentioned on here in the past is that Dalton was a walk-on last season with expectations of being on scholly this season. So him leaving essentially opened up the scholly for Duvivier at the time. Someone correct me if I am wrong...

To my knowledge, you are correct.

Whether or not he would have been on scholarship is actually now irrelevant. On this board, we had him taking a scholarship, so either he opened one up by leaving or JG has had an extra one this whole time that we did not realize.

Edited by UAZippers

On 5/23/2017 at 9:48 AM, Jalapeño Zippy said:

Disappointed that our color guy couldn't get the name of the University right though...

That's the very first thing I noticed when I pulled up the link.  Someone in production probably put it up that way, but it does look bad when a graphic says "Akron University" on Dunn's show.  

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, UAZippers said:

The Zips have officially announced JG's full coaching staff.

Hopefully for the last time, I have be the fact checker and correct our people who write up these website stories, and state that Groce/Ford did NOT win 2 MAC Championships at Ohio.  They never finished higher than 3rd Place.  It was 2 MAC Tournament titles.  

13 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Hopefully for the last time, I have be the fact checker and correct our people who write up these website stories, and state that Groce/Ford did NOT win 2 MAC Championships at Ohio.  They never finished higher than 3rd Place.  It was 2 MAC Tournament titles.  

Duly noted.  Groce/Ford went to the NCAA tournament twice but they NEVER secured that automatic bid to the NIT.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, K92 said:

Duly noted.  Groce/Ford went to the NCAA tournament twice but they NEVER secured that automatic bid to the NIT.

Thank You.  You're clearly one of the people that knows that there is a difference between the 2 of them.  The people who write press releases should know the same.  

My remarks had nothing to do with how I feel about which one is of higher importance.