John Groce Officially Hired

Dr Z

John Groce as the head coach at Akron  

88 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of John Groce?

This poll is closed to new votes

28 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

They've gone awfully silent amid the success. That's too bad, unfortunately they were never Akron fans after all.

I was one of the ones critical of the hire, but I'm not sure if I posted it here.  For me (I think), it was more that I hated we hired a former coach of one of our rivals.  A few may have disliked the hire, but certainly no one was rooting for the program to fail under him.  Silly to say people aren't Akron fans if they disagree with AD's moves.

Anyway, I was in no way insinuating that they should NOT extend him, I was more wondering what the university is capable of, considering the current situation. 

Coach has a way to get the best out of his guys, same as Dambrot always did.  The additional plus that I see with Groce is that he does a great job building that team chemistry with HS kids and transfers.  These guys love each other and it makes me love the team even more.  I jumped out of my seat when Maishe hit that 3 in OT vs. Toledo.  

Edited by RowdyZip
typo
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

Silly to say people aren't Akron fans if they disagree with AD's moves.

Did I say that? Or did I say that they've disappeared completely amid the success? Those two are not the same thing, as you are someone who is active on this board. There are plenty of posters, some of whom even showed up this summer when there was mild speculation that Groce may leave, to say "I TOLD YOU SO" as if it's a bad thing for a coach to be good enough to leave Akron.

These people who "cheer" for Akron by only showing up to criticize coaching and poor play are not Akron fans, they would rather be proven right by Akron failing. Their ego is more important than their "team" winning. F them. There are plenty examples over in the football thread too. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

I was one of the ones critical of the hire, but I'm not sure if I posted it here.  For me (I think), it was more that I hated we hired a former coach of one of our rivals.  A few may have disliked the hire, but certainly no one was rooting for the program to fail under him.  Silly to say people aren't Akron fans if they disagree with AD's moves.

Anyway, I was in no way insinuating that they should NOT extend him, I was more wondering what the university is capable of, considering the current situation. 

Coach has a way to get the best out of his guys, same as Dambrot always did.  The additional plus that I see with Groce is that he does a great job building that team chemistry with HS kids and transfers.  These guys love each other and it makes me love the team even more.  I jumped out of my seat when Maishe hit that 3 in OT vs. Toledo.  

I don't think anyone here has anything against people who were hesitant at first of the hire. It was more so the people who posted Groce first year that were posting in a way that made it seem they were getting enjoyment out of Akron having a bad year because Dambrot wasn't the coach that irked this board. You see those same type of fans posting on the football board currently.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Did I say that? Or did I say that they've disappeared completely amid the success? Those two are not the same thing, as you are someone who is active on this board. There are plenty of posters, some of whom even showed up this summer when there was mild speculation that Groce may leave, to say "I TOLD YOU SO" as if it's a bad thing for a coach to be good enough to leave Akron.

These people who "cheer" for Akron by only showing up to criticize coaching and poor play are not Akron fans, they would rather be proven right by Akron failing. Their ego is more important than their "team" winning. F them. There are plenty examples over in the football thread too. 

You took the words right out of my mouth

22 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

In defense of the Zips Hoops Fan’s acumen, the poll shows 58 in favor of the Groce hire and 3 against. 

I see it is up to 60 in favor now? Voter fraud runs rampant even at ZipsNation!??

I have a stack of "affaDavids" that state Groce was leading in the poll by a huge margin as we went to bed. I also have lined up a NY attorney, with dye streaming down his face, ready to attack anyone who disputes the lead. Only one slight problem, he farts a lot and charges $20,000/day. That should be no problem since Dr. Z and Cast Kangaroo can take it out of ZipsNation's petty cash. Stop the Steal! 

40 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Did I say that? Or did I say that they've disappeared completely amid the success?

Fair enough.  But recognize some of those folks have left these boards for other reasons. 

I'll always be a Dambrot fan because of the unprecedented run of success.  It was great for a dozen years just knowing you can plan on being in Cleveland for a Friday and Saturday in March.  That being said, my allegiance (and most likely 99% of those that have ever posted here) is to the program itself.  I hope we extend Groce.  I hope we continue to succeed.  I hope he chooses to stay in Akron. 

But let's still be realistic and say that Coach Dambrot has done much, much more for this program so far than Coach Groce, including creating a program that is enticing for successful coaches.  This season, as it's gone so far, makes me believe we can continue on the upswing with this staff.  

55 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Groce is the best.  Knew it from Day 1.  Loved when he got himself ejected from the game in Canada.

That, and when he melted the microphone with fire after the EMU game in Cleveland that year. And the tone in regards to attitude and effort for those first years, we knew it was only a matter of time before the program took off. And sure enough, we all have MAC Champion T-Shirts to prove it and we're on the right track for more. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

But let's still be realistic and say that Coach Dambrot has done much, much more for this program so far than Coach Groce, including creating a program that is enticing for successful coaches.  This season, as it's gone so far, makes me believe we can continue on the upswing with this staff.  

Not to take anything away from KD, but he also had 13 years to do it.

I wish KD luck.  We were fortunate to have him, his commitment and the blotch in his past that allowed him to stay here for so long.  I'm afraid we won't have that with Groce as his success might well draw him elsewhere.  Hopefully, his lack of success at Illinois will dissuade bigger programs from trying to snatch him up.

• Like 1

Who is the greatest Akron coach vs who is the greatest MAC coach would be two entirely different discussions. As of today I don't think either is a debate. Dambrot is still the most accomplished Akron coach. I'd say Charlie Cole was the greatest MAC coach. With times things can change.

Edit: Huggins proved to be a better coach than either of them thus far, but his success didn't come at Akron.

Edited by kreed5120

8 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Who is the greatest Akron coach vs who is the greatest MAC coach would be two entirely different discussions. As of today I don't think either is a debate. Dambrot is still the most accomplished Akron coach. I'd say Charlie Cole was the greatest MAC coach. With times things can change.

Edit: Huggins proved to be a better coach than either of them thus far, but his success didn't come at Akron.

Technically, I think Huggins would be the greatest OVC coach of all time!

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

I loved Charlie back in the day, but I think Dambrot's MAC career blows him out of the water outside of NCAA wins (0 vs 2). 

Maybe this is fodder for another thread?  Best MAC coach of all time?

For the heck of it, I put together a little comparison spreadsheet specifically for head coaching records and awards for these 3.  Let's hope in another 4-5 years, Coach Groce is at the top of this list.  EDIT:  Groce's MAC HC Seasons should say 7.5. Oops:

image.png

Edited by RowdyZip

17 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

I loved Charlie back in the day, but I think Dambrot's MAC career blows him out of the water outside of NCAA wins (0 vs 2). 

For the heck of it, I put together a little comparison spreadsheet specifically for head coaching records and awards for these 3.  Let's hope in another 4-5 years, Coach Groce is at the top of this list.  EDIT:  Groce's MAC HC Seasons should say 7.5. Oops:

image.png

Charlie didn't deserve one of those tournament championships dammit! Yes I'm still bitter after 15 years - and yes I still scan any hiring resumes for the name Doug Penno first. ??

1 hour ago, RowdyZip said:

image.png

Groce was COTY last year.

1 hour ago, RowdyZip said:

image.png

I just feel the MAC was better in the 1980s-early 2000s than it is today. The MAC use to actually send players to the NBA (Boykins, Bonzi Wells, Kaman, Wally, Harper) and actually competed for at-large bids. That and the tournament wins i why I have Coles ahead of Dambrot, but certainly the argument could be made otherwise. 

44 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I just feel the MAC was better in the 1980s-early 2000s than it is today. The MAC use to actually send players to the NBA (Boykins, Bonzi Wells, Kaman, Wally, Harper) and actually competed for at-large bids. That and the tournament wins i why I have Coles ahead of Dambrot, but certainly the argument could be made otherwise. 

It was a better conference then.

Gary Trent was another 1st rounder from that era, as was Dave Jamerson. Devin Davis played for Coles, and in the NBA too. Keith McLeod had a nice NBA career. Antonio Gates was dominant, but played in the NFL as a pro. Grant Long and Carl Thomas had nice NBA careers (EMU). Tons of talent came to the JAR back then. Hipsher had it tough.?

How many of those guys would have transferred to a P5 school had today's rules been in place?