John Groce Officially Hired

Dr Z

John Groce as the head coach at Akron  

88 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of John Groce?

This poll is closed to new votes

4 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

If we were just talking  MAC, adding up his accomplishments at OU and  Akron should be a fair comparison? 

Would Duquesne trade Groce for Dambrot today?

Dambrot was a great coach for Akron. Groce is a better coach. 

Groce wouldn't be stupid enough to coach at Duquesne.  It is one of the many graveyards of coaches in college basketball along with places like St. Bonaventure.

On 1/28/2021 at 5:46 PM, GP1 said:

Dambrot was a great coach for Akron. Groce is a better coach. 

Groce wouldn't be stupid enough to coach at Duquesne.  It is one of the many graveyards of coaches in college basketball along with places like St. Bonaventure.

If stupid gets me a $1M salary, I don't want to be smart...

Then again, I could have actual success in March and still make a hefty six figures (Groce). 

I'll get back to you on which path I choose for College Basketball Coach Game of Life.

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

Dambrot would have gone back to making something in the neighborhood of $600k/yr. If I recall right that big bonus was a 1 time bonus built into his contract for staying past a certain date. I don't think it's fair to say that Dambrot left purely because of the money. He turned down the Duquesne job I believe twice and 1 of the Florida C-USA schools that were willing to offer more than what he made at Akron. He probably turned down some others along the way as well.

I feel it had more to do with Dambrot knowing that his time as a coach was nearing an end and he wanted to experience a tourney run before it came to an end. He has said in numerous interviews that he doesn't plan to coach well into his 70s. His last Akron team was probably his second best team from a talent stand point and he was going to need a complete rebuild as Kwan, Big Dog, and from the sounds of it Noah also made up his mind to leave. Meanwhile, his fathers alma mater came to him and showed a commitment to want to win. Either way it worked out for us. It's still to be determined how it will work out for Keith. If he isn't able to get a tourney win at Duquesne then I'd say it was a bust for him.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Dambrot would have gone back to making something in the neighborhood of $600k/yr. If I recall right that big bonus was a 1 time bonus built into his contract for staying past a certain date. I don't think it's fair to say that Dambrot left purely because of the money. He turned down the Duquesne job I believe twice and 1 of the Florida C-USA schools that were willing to offer more than what he made at Akron. He probably turned down turned down some others along the way.

I feel it had more to do with Dambrot knowing the his time as a coach was nearing an end and he wants to experience a tourney run before it comes to an end. He has said in numerous interviews that he doesn't plan to coach well into his 70s. His last Akron team was probably his second best team from a talent stand point and he was going to need a complete rebuild as Kwan, Big Dog, and from the sounds of it Noah as made up his mind to leave. Meanwhile, his fathers alma mater came to him and showed a commitment to want to win. Either way it worked out for us. It's still to be determined how it will work out for Keith. If he isn't able to get a tourney win at Duquesne then I'd say it was a bust for him.

I love KD & in my mind he is responsible for making Akron basketball what it is today. He was responsible for bringing in Romeo, Dru, & Wood which really got the ball rolling.

So even if he never makes a run @ Duquesne he’s always a Zip & ultimately can cry all the way to the bank. Lol.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2021 at 2:00 PM, RowdyZip said:

I loved Charlie back in the day, but I think Dambrot's MAC career blows him out of the water outside of NCAA wins (0 vs 2). 

Maybe this is fodder for another thread?  Best MAC coach of all time?

For the heck of it, I put together a little comparison spreadsheet specifically for head coaching records and awards for these 3.  Let's hope in another 4-5 years, Coach Groce is at the top of this list.  EDIT:  Groce's MAC HC Seasons should say 7.5. Oops:

image.png

In my opinion, the real test is the NCAA tournament. If we take out last year (tournament was not played) and this year (no tournament yet), Groce has coached in seven full seasons and made the tournament in 2 of them. That's a much better percentage than Dambrot (3/15) or Coles (4/22).

More impressive is the fact that, at the tournament, he is the only one with a winning record.

Back to your original question, I don't see a reason for a coach to not accept an extension knowing that it is a one way commitment. Groce will probably accept the extension and when a higher profile team comes calling, he can easily leave. My hope is that in this odd year, with all things considered, not many big programs will fire their coaches and therefore, there shouldn't be many attractive jobs.  

• Like 2

On 2/3/2021 at 12:53 AM, Valpo Zip said:

In my opinion, the real test is the NCAA tournament. If we take out last year (tournament was not played) and this year (no tournament yet), Groce has coached in seven full seasons and made the tournament in 2 of them. That's a much better percentage than Dambrot (3/15) or Coles (4/22).

More impressive is the fact that, at the tournament, he is the only one with a winning record.

Back to your original question, I don't see a reason for a coach to not accept an extension knowing that it is a one way commitment. Groce will probably accept the extension and when a higher profile team comes calling, he can easily leave. My hope is that in this odd year, with all things considered, not many big programs will fire their coaches and therefore, there shouldn't be many attractive jobs.  

Dambrot should've made the tourney 4 times during his time here. P... Pen... I can't say it. 

The W/L column under the NCAAT section speaks volumes. Here's to hoping Groce's W column number increases. ?

• 1 month later...
44 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I saw this thread get bumped and thought it was going to be a departure post. Incredibly good news. 5 more seasons means 2-3 trips minimum to the Big Dance, and probably 3-4 NCAA Tourney wins in there. I have no doubts. 

Zips to the Final Four confirmed. Who is our Sister Jean equivalent? Gerry Faust?

• Haha 2