John Groce Officially Hired

Dr Z

John Groce as the head coach at Akron  

88 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of John Groce?

This poll is closed to new votes

I still think we turn it around and win the tourney in Cleveland.  As others have mentioned, we have been in these last 3 games and lost it in the end.  I have faith that Groce and the players will be able to fix things when it is win or go home in March.  He did that OU and I believe this team is capable of doing it this year.

Groce had DJ Cooper.  We don't have anyone like that on this team.  At best we are the 5 seed and could be lower.  If we were to make it to Saturday, it would likely mean that we would be playing 3 of the top 4 teams.  We are 1-4 against them.  I don't see us winning three games in a row against the top teams.

I like everyone's optimism, but I don't see it happening.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

All the above posts are great.  I am more optimistic than most on this board.  We just lost 3 close games and one of  the games was to Kent which is the hottest team in the MAC.  Basically, we have sucked in the clutch.  Last night X caught a pass and his foot was out of bounds with a minute left in the game.  We still had a chance to tie it when Ali tribbles the ball into his own foot.  At Western, we had a 6 point lead and blew it in the final two minutes with some horrific passes and Freeman missed 2 crucial foul shots.  At Kent, we had 3 empty possessions down the stretch and still could have won it if X had passed the ball to Ali who was open for a three.  This team is struggling the last 2 minutes of the game where earlier we executed at the end of the game.

I believe our defense is good enough to win but our offense has failed to on too many occasions.  Also, it is difficult to watch.  As somebody pointed out earlier, we do not push the ball up the court.  If you watch Freeman rebound, he is not looking for a quick outlet but secures the ball and we walk the ball up the court.  This offense has a lot of movement but in most cases the ball still ends up on the perimeter with 15 seconds on the shot clock.  We need a LCJ type guard that can bread down defenses.  We see a lot of one on one action with Ali and Freeman.  However, it is rare that we see a pass to a cutter or a back door cut.  Instead it is usually a kick out to the perimeter.  

X, Trimble and Dawson went 2 of 15 from 3 point distance.  Shooting the 3 has been a problem most of the season and Trimble has been a problem.  Bring him off the bench did not improve his shooting.  Obviously, we need much better play from X.  Clark has played better but he has not been able to penetrate the defense like last year and I hate the way he dribbles 40 feet from the basket with no purpose.  I would like to see Tribble shoot more.  I watch him practice between the halve and he makes everything.  Obviously, he can't do much worse that what we already have.  

I believe this team can still have a winning season and win in Cleveland if Groce has not lost the team.  I watch him get upset on the floor and if the players no longer have faith in him and do not want to play for him anymore then I do expect this downfall to continue and Akron will watch the tournament.  

If we didn't let NIU shoot 60% from the field in the second half we wouldn't have needed for everything to go perfectly for us to win. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/18/2022 at 3:12 PM, zipsrule said:

Groce had DJ Cooper.  We don't have anyone like that on this team.  At best we are the 5 seed and could be lower.  If we were to make it to Saturday, it would likely mean that we would be playing 3 of the top 4 teams.  We are 1-4 against them.  I don't see us winning three games in a row against the top teams.

I like everyone's optimism, but I don't see it happening.

This didn't age well.  SO glad to be wrong!

• Like 1

On 2/18/2022 at 2:46 PM, zippyfan34 said:

I still think we turn it around and win the tourney in Cleveland.  As others have mentioned, we have been in these last 3 games and lost it in the end.  I have faith that Groce and the players will be able to fix things when it is win or go home in March.  He did that OU and I believe this team is capable of doing it this year.

This aged great. 

And I'm ready to change my vote in the OP to 'good hire' 👍

• Like 1

Allow me to admit that, 15 years ago, I was not a fan of John Groce. I hated OU and hated how they had our number and I was so jealous (and in awe) of their 2x NCAA success.

When KD bolted, I did not think we had a chance at coach Groce (just like I didn't think we can get coach Mo this year). I was THRILLED when we got him.

Over the last few years, I admired his ability to put together a good team. I mostly loved his craftiness and his ability to make mid-game adjustments. I also enjoy seeing how relaxed his players seem to be and how much they appear to enjoy playing for him. Yesterday, during the game, coach Groce was masterful at demonstrating all of the above. But it was the postgame press conference that blew my mind:

1 - He made sure to talk extensively about the 2019-2020 team did not play in the MAC tournament. He named the players, one by one...even bench warmers. He made sure to give them credit for changing the culture and helping this team be successful!!!!

2 - Without being asked, he pointed out that he inherited a great program from the "tremendous" (or terrific, I can't remember) coach before him. 

3 - For no obvious reason, he found a way to bring up Brian Walsh, called him "one of our guys"!!!!!! and extensively singing his praises.

4 - He took the high road and dismissed the impact of the KSU video on his team

I tip my hat to coach Groce. A great basketball coach and most importantly, a classy, classy, individual who makes me proud to be a Zip.

Edited by Valpo Zip
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Valpo Zip said:

Allow me to admit that, 15 years ago, I was not a fan of John Groce. I hated OU and hated how they had our number and I was so jealous (and in awe) of their 2x NCAA success.

When KD bolted, I did not think we had a chance at coach Groce (just like I didn't think we can get coach Mo this year). I was THRILLED when we got him.

Over the last few years, I admired his ability to put together a good team. I mostly loved his craftiness and his ability to make mid-game adjustments. I also enjoy seeing how relaxed his players seem to be and how much they appear to enjoy playing for him. Yesterday, during the game, coach Groce was masterful at demonstrating all of the above. But it was the postgame press conference that blew my mind:

1 - He made sure to talk extensively about the 2019-2020 team did not play in the MAC tournament. He named the players, one by one...even bench warmers. He made sure to give them credit for changing the culture and helping this team be successful!!!!

2 - Without being asked, he pointed out that he inherited a great program from the "tremendous" (or terrific, I can't remember) coach before him. 

3 - For no obvious reason, he found a way to bring up Brian Walsh, called him "one of our guys"!!!!!! and extensively singing his praises.

I tip my hat to coach Groce. A great basketball player and most importantly, a classy, classy, individual who makes me proud to be a Zip.

Agreed. Easy to dislike someone who is a coach of your rival who is having success you’ve always wanted, but we’ve found that’s all it was. Coach Groce has been 110% class in every way since he’s been here.

22 minutes ago, Valpo Zip said:

I tip my hat to coach Groce. A great basketball player and most importantly, a classy, classy, individual who makes me proud to be a Zip.

13 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Agreed. Easy to dislike someone who is a coach of your rival who is having success you’ve always wanted, but we’ve found that’s all it was. Coach Groce has been 110% class in every way since he’s been here.

Out of likes so this is me looking both of these. 100% spot on. 

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

I felt the same way.  Hated him at Ohio U.  But I hated him because he stomped out the Zips dreams on two Saturday nights and then rubbed it in our faces by winning in the NCAA.   But when we got him on our side I was incredibly happy.

Groce is really good at remembering names.  He must have taken a Dale Carnegie class a long the way!  He's also been around very high level coaches and programs, and he knows how to speak to the media.  He's definitely sincere (no pun intended), but he's also a master at saying the right thing at right time.  

https://www.bobcatattack.com/messageboard/topic.asp?FromPage=1&ForumPID=1&PID=331090

I've been perusing the message boards (other than PCCC @ East Mogadore) and found this gem of a Nelsonville thread.  

Apart from that, Toledo and Buffalo posters have some class.  Ball State needs to fire Whitford before our friends in Muncie stroke out.  BG's only pleasure in life is that the Zips beat Toledo.  And Miami is a nasty group of haters.

1 hour ago, zips4life20 said:

aging well

2010 win coming from 9th seed I believe.  Wins first round at Ball State in OT

2011  comes in as 5 seed and  beats Toledo and ironically loses to Ball State  in the quarterfinals again in OT

2012 new double bye format.  Ohio 3rd seed beat Toledo, Buffalo, and Akron (hmm sounds familiar)

What the hell happened in 2011?  I think I would have some memory of it.