John Groce Officially Hired

Dr Z

John Groce as the head coach at Akron  

88 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of John Groce?

This poll is closed to new votes

2 minutes ago, dirtyolcrowe said:

Travis Steele new BB coach for Miami(oh).  MAC just got tougher.   I think he’ll do great things for Miami. 

Genuine question - based on what? His only HC experience is at Xavier and he failed to ever sniff the dance there. Finished 3rd in conference his first year, then 6th, 7th, and 8th following that. Never made it past 2nd round of NIT.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, dirtyolcrowe said:

Travis Steele new BB coach for Miami(oh).  MAC just got tougher.   I think he’ll do great things for Miami. 

didn't he just lose like 8 games in a row & blow a 10 point lead with 2 minutes left to keep Xavier out of March Madness 

6 hours ago, LZIp said:

Genuine question - based on what? His only HC experience is at Xavier and he failed to ever sniff the dance there. Finished 3rd in conference his first year, then 6th, 7th, and 8th following that. Never made it past 2nd round of NIT.

Sounds like dambrodt 

Edited by dirtyolcrowe

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, akzipper said:
This seems like good news.

Based on those tweets, it sounds like Groce is content here and plans to keep building our program for many years to come!

Edited by blueandgold
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Groce, Moorhead, Embick, and Guthrie are an absolute unit together. Could easily see that group transcending the University to never before seen heights as a University. 

I agree with your sentiment, but your underlying statement is the university is only as good as its athletic teams.  Please rethink! 

1 hour ago, 94zipgrad said:

I haven’t seen any details but I think this also protects the University when they extend these coaches out so far after a nice run.  You see a lot of moves by a coach after nice runs & it gives the University some reward from a school who wants him

I'd hope that guys like Groce and Moorhead already had their "taste" of big-time programs and are happy trying to build up a program like Akron instead. Not that they don't deserve another shot, but it seems like it would be way less stressful. But that's just me talking and obviously I'm biased. 

Edited by akzipper
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Groce, Moorhead, Embick, and Guthrie are an absolute unit together. Could easily see that group transcending the University to never before seen heights as a University. 

Couldn't agree more. Let's add T & F's coach Dennis Mitchell to that group. He has raised the program to the top 25 level in both men and women despite not having the middle distance runners men's cross country usually brings along with it. I normally would also add swim's coach Brian Peresie to the list, but he has been shopping his resume around. He wants to leave for bigger rather than build to bigger. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, akzipper said:

I'd hope that guys like Groce and Moorhead already had their "taste" of big-time programs and are happy trying to build up a program like Akron instead. Not that they don't deserve another shot, but it seems like it would be way less stressful. But that's just me talking and obviously I'm biased. 

I agree but smart of school to protect themselves as well

3 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

I agree with your sentiment, but your underlying statement is the university is only as good as its athletic teams.  Please rethink! 

Athletics is the #1 marketing tool for any DI university outside of Ivy League schools.

The rest of the school benefits from strong athletic programs. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 1

What I like the most is the increased funding assistants. Program success is way more than the head coach. 

Also, I like a coach dedicated to physical fitness and good to see money for that position. Looking at the Zips, I think their physical fitness could be better. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GP1 said:

What I like the most is the increased funding assistants. Program success is way more than the head coach. 

Also, I like a coach dedicated to physical fitness and good to see money for that position. Looking at the Zips, I think their physical fitness could be better. 

Especially Groce's assistants. Dustin & Rob coach their butts off during games. It's fun to watch. 

• Like 1

On 4/27/2022 at 1:44 PM, AkronAlumnus said:

Excellent news; JG is one of my favorite coaches, at any level, of any sport. I appreciate the man's coaching philosophy.

Same here, and for me, at least as important, he just seems to be a good guy.  I haven't had a lot of interaction with him, but in what little I have, coupled with the way he carries himself, I have come away with the impression that he's just a solid salt of the earth guy you could have a beer with.

• Like 7

Five years ago I came onto this forum and congratulated you all on the hire of Coach Groce. After showering Groce with similar praise I believe @clarkwgriswold asked me if I was a member of his family. Ha!! As the founding member of the Homers for Groce Association I am very pleased to see the ranks have swelled to new heights. But not the least bit surprised. Go Zips!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Illini Zip said:

Five years ago I came onto this forum and congratulated you all on the hire of Coach Groce. After showering Groce with similar praise I believe @clarkwgriswold asked me if I was a member of his family. Ha!! As the founding member of the Homers for Groce Association I am very pleased to see the ranks have swelled to new heights. But not the least bit surprised. Go Zips!!

Groce's hiring brought one of the best members to ZipsNation - @Illini Zip. Win win. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's amazing it's been 5 years.  I was apprehensive on the initial hire, but he's certainly brought me into the fold these last 5 years.  

I think John Groce is the kind of basketball coach that you HATE when he's not your coach, and LOVE when he is your coach.  Probably like Bobby Hurley was for UB fans.  I got caught up in those years of hating him as OU's coach so it took me a few to warm up.  The latest news on the extension certainly pushes me further in that direction.  Let's hope we have a long-term solution in place for MBB and football. 

Go Zips!

• Like 2