John Groce Officially Hired

Dr Z

John Groce as the head coach at Akron  

88 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of John Groce?

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

If Groce gets Freeman to stick around for his senior year then I'll give him credit for recruiting Freeman.

If you were his mom or dad, would you tell him to stay another year if he wants to make a career playing basketball?  Would it benefit him to go pro, transfer to a bigger program, or stay at Akron?  If he were undecided about making this a career, I would advice him to stay at Akron and have fun since he is not going to find a better coach than Groce and all the guys on the team are class guys.  For most players their college careers are the highlight of their athletic careers since very few college players make it to the pros unless you are committed to playing in Europe where you may find less fans than in Akron.  May not find that somewhere else. 

1 hour ago, 1981 grad said:

If you were his mom or dad, would you tell him to stay another year if he wants to make a career playing basketball?  Would it benefit him to go pro, transfer to a bigger program, or stay at Akron?  If he were undecided about making this a career, I would advice him to stay at Akron and have fun since he is not going to find a better coach than Groce and all the guys on the team are class guys.  For most players their college careers are the highlight of their athletic careers since very few college players make it to the pros unless you are committed to playing in Europe where you may find less fans than in Akron.  May not find that somewhere else. 

I'd say stay at Akron! (Of course 😉)  If it's in the cards he can make the League from the MAC.  And, like lots of MAC players, he can certainly play professionally elsewhere (Europe) if the NBA's not in the cards, if that is what Enrique would want to do.  And look at Ali Ali.  The grass is not always greener.  The psychological aspect of basketball is so important & Enrique has a familiarity and comfort level with everything at Akron - on and off the court - that, if I were him, I would be very hesitant to risk losing all that by transferring.  

On the other hand, with NIL money, I guess he could possibly make some money next year at a P5 while still in college. Idk.  (I'm still getting used to the new world of NIL.)

I love Enrique.  He's a great player at this level.  However, there's a name for 6'7" guys in the NBA-  small forward.  He doesn't have the skill set to play the 3 in the NBA.  He may well have a nice career in Europe, but it won't be in the NBA.

He's also in for a great future outside of basketball.  Very smart, great personality.  I'd buy stock in that kid.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

John Groce

4-0 in MAC Tournament Finals.  

Last 4 years:  2020 MAC regular season champ, 2021 MAC Semi Finals (covid year), 2022 MAC tournament champion, 2023 MAC Semi Finals, 2024 MAC tournament champion.

He is an amazing coach who knows whom he trusts in crunch time.

• Like 4

John Groce has coached 11 seasons of MAC basketball

He has won at least one MAC tournament game in each of those seasons (sans 2020, N/A). In the 10 MAC tournaments he has coached in, he has won 40% of them. His highest rated team at Akron was not able to participate in 2020.

Bonkers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

John Groce

4-0 in MAC Tournament Finals.  

Last 4 years:  2020 MAC regular season champ, 2021 MAC Semi Finals (covid year), 2022 MAC tournament champion, 2023 MAC Semi Finals, 2024 MAC tournament champion.

He is an amazing coach who knows whom he trusts in crunch time.

The last time the MAC had a coach as good as him was when HE was at OU. 

• Like 1