John Groce Officially Hired

Dr Z

John Groce as the head coach at Akron  

88 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of John Groce?

This poll is closed to new votes

A really good hire, in my opinion. Addition by subtraction, as I believed Dambrot took the Zips as far as he was capable of taking the program.

My son is an OU grad, the Scripps school, and he is NOT happy. He was hoping Groce would return to Athens. 

At least I'm not the only idiot that thought this since he posted it on his Instagram at 12:21pm today, AFTER Groce took the head coaching job here at Akron. Tilmon has had 3 weeks to request a release from his NLI. Why wait until after Groce got a head coaching job again?

Edited by mes102
  • Like 1

Guys(and gals), there's a reason why I said "Future Zip?" I doubt it happens too. This is a huge coincidence to most people. I'm one of those people that don't believe in coincidences though. All I'm saying is the timing of this, makes me have to question it. He's had three weeks to request a release from his NLI, and decides to announce it after Groce lands the Akron job officially? It was just a thought.

Edited by mes102
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, mes102 said:

Guys(and gals), there's a reason why I said "Future Zip?" I doubt it happens too. This is a huge coincidence to most people. I'm one of those people that don't believe in coincidences though. All I'm saying is the timing of this, makes me have to question it. He's had three weeks to request a release from his NLI, and decides to announce it after Groce lands the Akron job officially? It was just a thought.

He was considering asking for a release to go to Missouri and on Monday he stated he was staying at Illinois. So it does not seem related.

4 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

He was considering asking for a release to go to Missouri and on Monday he stated he was staying at Illinois. So it does not seem related.

So he re-commits Monday and says he's staying then Wednesday Groce is announced to Akron and he de-commits. Hmmm I'm gonna get way more excited for this than I know I should

Edited by zippy5

5 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

Today is April 5th, correct? If you look at his Instagram post, it says 12:21 on 4/5/17.

Edited by mes102

3 minutes ago, mes102 said:

Today is April 5th, correct? If you look at his Instagram post, it says 12:21 on 4/5/17.

I get that, but Groce was already gone for a while, so I am just not connecting it to the new hire. This guy was sought after by a bunch of big time schools, I can only imagine they have kept the pressure up (probably against the rules, what else is new?).

I will say this. Groce is coming to a program with a connection to arguably the greatest basketball player of all time, and one that has had 12 years of consistent success. If this kid truly committed to Illinois because of Groce, and has an interest in following Groce, Akron would seem to be a pretty attractive option. Especially with the current state of Missouri basketball. I'd say Akron, especially led by Groce, would give Missouri a game if not beat them. 

Edit: Plus, how often have we said Akron would be a great place for a kids to make a name for themselves?

With that being said, I'm not holding my breath. Ok, maybe the NEO sports fan inside of me is. Disappointment coming in 3...2...1...

Edited by lilroodude

8 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

I get that, but Groce was already gone for a while, so I am just not connecting it to the new hire. This guy was sought after by a bunch of big time schools, I can only imagine they have kept the pressure up (probably against the rules, what else is new?).

Okay, I got you now. He must have like Groce enough though to have all those offers and want to play for Groce at Illinois. Maybe that would carry over to here.

IF(and that's a huge if) Tilmon comes to Akron, can you imagine what Groce can do in recruiting in the next few years? It would definitely send a message and foundation for future recruiting.

Edited by mes102
  • Like 2