Dr Z

John Groce Officially Hired

John Groce as the head coach at Akron   78 members have voted

  1. 1. What do you think of John Groce?


Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

595 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

Thank You.  You're clearly one of the people that knows that there is a difference between the 2 of them.  The people who write press releases should know the same.  

 

My remarks had nothing to do with how I feel about which one is of higher importance.  

The guy that wrote the press release is listed at 5' 7", but word on the street is he's really 5' 7 3/8". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

The guy that wrote the press release is listed at 5' 7", but word on the street is he's really 5' 7 3/8". 

The rare reverse height psychology. Very effective when used correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That hack Bob Dyer has a lazy awful hit piece about Groce and the university in the beacon today. It's filled with accusations and slurs to stir people up.  For example it hints that Tom Crean was a candidate for the job.  But be careful with that wording because Dyer says Crean was one of candidates who was "suggested" or applied for the job. Article says players "wanted" Charles Thomas but didn't say he actually applied for the job.  Article goes on about this $60k but fails to mention what Dambrot was paid or that for the first two years of Groces contract we will be saving close to 500k each year (rough guess) and that his 3rd year salary will still be a savings from Dambrot.  It's just a nasty, negative piece unsupportive of the team or the university.  Have any of you seen Dyer at a game???  He mentions a letter from the players.  Could he even name two starters if asked?  And, LeBron writes a letter asking for a job for his friend who has no D1 level experience. So?  Why didn't Dyer write about who the final three or four candidates were and the decision making process?   Article implies that the 60k was just for Groce.  What about all the other candidates it vetted?  Yes, Groce was known quantity to us but the others probably weren't.  I could go on and on.  

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NWAkron said:

That hack Bob Dyer has a lazy awful hit piece about Groce and the university in the beacon today. It's filled with accusations and slurs to stir people up.  For example it hints that Tom Crean was a candidate for the job.  But be careful with that wording because Dyer says Crean was one of candidates who was "suggested" or applied for the job. Article says players "wanted" Charles Thomas but didn't say he actually applied for the job.  Article goes on about this $60k but fails to mention what Dambrot was paid or that for the first two years of Groces contract we will be saving close to 500k each year (rough guess) and that his 3rd year salary will still be a savings from Dambrot.  It's just a nasty, negative piece unsupportive of the team or the university.  Have any of you seen Dyer at a game???  He mentions a letter from the players.  Could he even name two starters if asked?  And, LeBron writes a letter asking for a job for his friend who has no D1 level experience. So?  Why didn't Dyer write about who the final three or four candidates were and the decision making process?   Article implies that the 60k was just for Groce.  What about all the other candidates it vetted?  Yes, Groce was known quantity to us but the others probably weren't.  I could go on and on.  

I've been on a rant the last few months about the ABJ and especially this weekend - see post in other forum - but this is ridiculous.  As discussed, the Zips have a new NCAA Champion, four new All Americans.  Ziprulz points out the tennis team is ranking way high, the athletic teams wins trophies for overall sports in all categories, lots of academic all stars...but the ABJ/Ohio.com can only find this piece of lintpunt to write a crapsandwich article about something that ALL schools do to try to find a new coach quickly.  Did this mental midget even check to see how much OSU just spent to find their new BB coach?  How about looking at that article earlier on the Plain Dealer page and see how overpaid some of the Big Schools coaches in sports like rowing and fencing make.  Better yet, how about the ABJ opening up their books for all to see how much they pay/spend on finding new CEOs or Publishers, or whatever they hire?  I guarantee they didn't find their managing editor on LinkedIn.  How much did they pay a search firm to find the current leaders at this dying news fishwrap?

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With that column he comes across as angry, bitter and not very blessed. I'm almost starting to feel a little bit sorry for him. At least he pointed out the tremendous interest there was in the job. There's no way an AD could vet 50 candidates on his own within the short time window required.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Old Man Bob, "Sixty thousand dollars?!?!... why, gas only costs .15 a gallon, dammit!"

4731188_orig.jpg

Edited by Blue & Gold
6 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A 1 time time $60k expense in a ~$35M annual budget seems like such a small figure to make a fuss about.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Akron Beacon Journal's slide into obscurity has gone undaunted for decades.  They now have an all-time low in full-time reporters and are constantly missing major stories picked up first by the Plain Dealer.   In that slide, news and sports stories fall to guys like Dyer.  Dyer can't figure out whether he wants to be a columnist humorist or an investigative reporter.  In the end, he does neither well.  The article had some interesting info, like LBJ's support of Drew Joyce, but it was thrown together so haphazardly that it just came across as angry drivel.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

A 1 time time $60k expense in a ~$35M annual budget seems like such a small figure to make a fuss about.

Yep, and given the limited info in the article, we have no idea if that's close to average, more than most or whether they got a deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KD's Buyout   $100,000

Search Firm   ($60,000)

Net Gain         $40,000

 

One of the purposes of having a contract buyout is to cover the costs of finding a replacement. Seems disingenuous to act like this cost the university.  

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Especially when Groce will be making something in the neighborhood of $300k less than what we would have paid Dambrot. There are countless examples of how the University and athletic department blow money, I just don't think this is one of them.

Edited by kreed5120

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn't really distinguish the crux of the the Bob Dyer article. Seems like another agenda piece, but I did find these two items interesting:

 

Dru Joyce was among those who threw their hats into the ring, and his candidacy was backed by LeBron, who wrote a 335-word email to the UA president and the athletic director. 

 

More than 50 people applied or were recommended for the job, including assistant coaches at UCLA, Wisconsin and former Indiana head coaches Tom Crean and Mike Davis; Chris Jent, a former Cavs assistant now at Ohio State; and former Cav Jimmy Cleamons.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spending 60k for some additional due diligence to potentially save you hundreds of thousands or possible even millions down the road seems like an okay use of funds to me, especially when nearly everyone else does it. All Bob Dyer had to do was spend 10 minutes googling the use of search firms in college sports and he wouldn't have to waste time writing and researching that piece and looking like a fool. I agree there were some good tidbits in there, but he is just uniformed.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

More than 50 people applied or were recommended for the job, including assistant coaches at UCLA, Wisconsin and former Indiana head coaches Tom Crean and Mike Davis; Chris Jent, a former Cavs assistant now at Ohio State; and former Cav Jimmy Cleamons.

 

In no world is Tom Crean coaching the Akron Zips. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was it just me, or did it seem like a lot of his unconfirmed information was from this forum, made it look like investigative work, and he just twisted it to fit his agenda? I'm even a little skeptical about the PDF files. Even at that, I can see getting the players to talk to a reporter about who they wanted, but why would LeBron even release his email recommending Joyce to a reporter? Just with how LeBron conducts himself, I just don't see him and/or his circle willing to release that information when it's a mute point now.

Until I see confirmation of these emails from whichever player sent the email, LeBron confirming, and/or President Wilson confirming, I'll take his "investigating" with a grain of sand. At least U of A shouldn't take too much of a hit with this article, since the viewership of this dying paper is small.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mes102 said:

At least U of A shouldn't take too much of a hit with this article, since the viewership of this dying paper is small.
 

UA shouldn't take a hit no matter the viewership of this paper. I don't see an issue with the way anything was conducted.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, LZIp said:

UA shouldn't take a hit no matter the viewership of this paper. I don't see an issue with the way anything was conducted.


I don't think it'll take much of a hit myself because I think this was the smartest thing they could have done. Larry has done a solid job since being hired here in my opinion. However, there's always those people out there that don't think on their own and believe everything they hear, read, etc. That's where the "hit" could take place in my opinion.

 

Edited by mes102
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mes102 said:

Was it just me, or did it seem like a lot of his unconfirmed information was from this forum, made it look like investigative work, and he just twisted it to fit his agenda? I'm even a little skeptical about the PDF files. Even at that, I can see getting the players to talk to a reporter about who they wanted, but why would LeBron even release his email recommending Joyce to a reporter? Just with how LeBron conducts himself, I just don't see him and/or his circle willing to release that information when it's a mute point now.

Until I see confirmation of these emails from whichever player sent the email, LeBron confirming, and/or President Wilson confirming, I'll take his "investigating" with a grain of sand. At least U of A shouldn't take too much of a hit with this article, since the viewership of this dying paper is small.
 

I suspect the LBJ letter was in the UA correspondence, so it was subject to the public records law.

 

As for Crean, I like how that paragraph was worded so that it looked like he was a candidate where it could have just been that his name was mentioned in passing by someone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mes102 said:

I don't think it'll take much of a hit

  

Hopefully, like usual, not enough people care enough about U of A Athletics for this to matter.  But since it's on the subject "wasting public money", unfortunately most of the people who decide to read the article will probably believe what it says.   Sheep will continue to be sheep.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now