Groce OOC Schedules at OU

zippy5

Thought this might be interesting to some. I know one of my main criticisms of KD was the OOC schedule. Disclaimer - not sure when he was hired and if he put together the 08-09 schedule.

2008-2009

William & Mary

AT Austin Peay

AT George Mason

Tulsa

Lamar (Neutral)

AT Louisville

Indiana State (Neutral)

AT Xavier

AT Delaware

AT Marshall

Holy Cross

St Francis NY

Bucknell

2009-2010

Ohio Valley

MTSU

NC A&T

Lamar

Marshall (Neutral)

AT Tulsa

Austin Peay

AT Delaware

Illinois State

Eastern Kentucky

AT Pitt

Elon

Robert Morris

AT IUPUI

2010-2011

Delaware

Oakland

TAM Corpus Christi

Valpo

Kansas (Neutral)

Santa Clara (Neutral)

Masrhall

AT Illinois State

IUPUI

St Francis PA

AT St Bonnie

Temple

Norfolk State

Robert Morris

2011-2012 (Sweet Sixteen)

UT Martin

Lamar

Arkansas State

AT Louisville

AT Marshall

Morgan State

AT Oakland

AT Portland

Marietta

AT Wright State

AT Northern Iowa

NC A&T

Kennsaw State

Robert Morris

4 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Seems to have a connection to Robert Morris? Maybe Josh Williams hasn't played his last game at the JAR?

I was going to say it looks like we'll play Bobby Mo each year before we start MAC play. Also, they played more away games OOC in 11-12 than we have the last 5 years :lol:

Edited by zippy5

5 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Thought this might be interesting to some. I know one of my main criticisms of KD was the OOC schedule. Disclaimer - not sure when he was hired and if he put together the 08-09 schedule.

2008-2009

William & Mary

AT Austin Peay

AT George Mason

Tulsa

AT Louisville

Indiana State (Neutral)

AT Xavier

AT Marshall

Holy Cross

Bucknell

2009-2010

MTSU

Marshall (Neutral)

AT Tulsa

Austin Peay

Illinois State

Eastern Kentucky

AT Pitt

Robert Morris

2010-2011

Oakland

Valpo

Kansas (Neutral)

Santa Clara (Neutral)

Masrhall

AT Illinois State

AT St Bonnie

Temple

Robert Morris

2011-2012 (Sweet Sixteen)

UT Martin

AT Louisville

AT Marshall

AT Oakland

AT Portland

AT Wright State

AT Northern Iowa

Robert Morris

I edited this to only show the ones I'm interested in, which is quite a few. Three thoughts...

1. Not a gauntlet, but good, solid competition. 

2. Seems to have the mentality of "You won't come here? Ok, I'll go there and beat you." Lots of road games.

3. Wondering if any further connections/relationships were built while at Illinois, and if he'll have some more pull to get some better home games at Akron.

At the mid-major level it's all about locking up quality home and homes as trail of tears tours do nothing but destroy your program. Dambrot often made reference that we couldn't even get "our old friend" Huggins to agree to a 1 and 1 or even a 2 and 1. I expect Duquesne to now be something better than a perennial A-10 bottom feeder. It would be nice if we can sign a 4 year home and home with them. It could be the start of a good rivalry, meanwhile, it's a short trip for both.

4 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

At the mid-major level it's all about locking up quality home and homes as trail of tears tours do nothing but destroy your program. Dambrot often made reference that we couldn't even get "our old friend" Huggins to agree to a 1 and 1 or even a 2 and 1. I expect Duquesne to now be something better than a perennial A-10 bottom feeder. It would be nice if we can sign a 4 year home and home with them. It could be the start of a good rivalry, meanwhile, it's a short trip for both.

No chance in hell of that happening imo. He's stated he hated playing Shaka because they were friends, I really doubt he'd want to coach against Akron.

9 minutes ago, lilroodude said:

3. Wondering if any further connections/relationships were built while at Illinois, and if he'll have some more pull to get some better home games at Akron.

Illinois State would be great. I'd take a roadie at Illinois, they're a beatable B1G team

It's worthwhile to look at our schedule, but keep in mind that while the coach often has a big say in scheduling, the AD and the school's willingness to pay for buy games (and flipside of that how many times they want you to be the "buy" for extra $) plays a huge role in scheduling. For Ohio, I think our AD (Jim Schaus, Wichita State AD from 99-08 prior to Ohio) is probably a bigger factor than our individual coaches for scheduling.

I always am interested to see what early season neutral floor tournaments we can get into. I am not sure how much say the HC has in picking those. I know he can probably decline but how much politicking is done to get an invite?

9 minutes ago, Bubba4three said:

It's worthwhile to look at our schedule, but keep in mind that while the coach often has a big say in scheduling, the AD and the school's willingness to pay for buy games (and flipside of that how many times they want you to be the "buy" for extra $) plays a huge role in scheduling. For Ohio, I think our AD (Jim Schaus, Wichita State AD from 99-08 prior to Ohio) is probably a bigger factor than our individual coaches for scheduling.

Our budgets are pretty much identical, so I don't think the buy games would be much different

32 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Our budgets are pretty much identical, so I don't think the buy games would be much different

Our budgets were nearly identical this year but looking at spending at the high level doesn't factor in how that spending was funded. You played @Gonzaga and @Creighton this year. Last year you played @Villanova and @Arkansas. You probably made some solid $ to play in those games. The homes games you did buy (if any weren't 1-1 deals?) were likely funded off those away trips. 

Ohio bought A LOT of home games the last two years against low-majors while only playing probably 1 away game we were paid for (GT) this year. Our additional ticket revenue and funding has been pushed towards scheduling. I would anticipate your scheduling to be similar to what it looked like the past two years. Playing a couple big name road games for $ to help fund your current spending.

edit: I forgot, GT wasn't a pay game for us. Part of a tournament...

Edited by Bubba4three

4 minutes ago, Bubba4three said:

Our budgets were nearly identical this year but looking at spending at the high level doesn't factor in how that spending was funded. You played @Gonzaga and @Creighton this year. Last year you played @Villanova and @Arkansas. You probably made some solid $ to play in those games. The homes games you did buy (if any weren't 1-1 deals?) were likely funded off those away trips. 

Ohio bought A LOT of home games the last two years against low-majors while only playing probably 1 away game we were paid for (GT) this year. Our additional ticket revenue and funding has been pushed towards scheduling. I would anticipate your scheduling to be similar to what it looked like the past two years. Playing a couple big name road games for $ to help fund your current spending.

Just when I was starting to think you weren't that dumb. I'll make it simple. We have bought a lot of home games recently that weren't home and home deals. it appears Groce doesn't do that as much, so in short - not as many home buy games = less money spent. Groce's schedules at OU could easily be replicated here if he chooses to.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bubba4three said:

We played @Villanova and @Akansas as part of the pre-season NIT tournament. Those were not buy games. We played @Creighton and @Gonzaga because we landed ourselves in a 2nd rate tournament and wanted some teams on value on the schedule. Our only home and home this year was Marhsall. The other games we purchased.

I remember that Marshall game in 2009.  Hassan Whiteside almost had a points rebounds blocks triple double.  The Temple game listed above was part of the scheduling agreement with them joining the MAC Football only.  Some of the other Home games were part of preseason tournaments played in Athens (like TA&MCC, Valpo, NC A&T, and Lamar).  It should be noted that some of those games were Bracket Buster return games. (Austin Peay, Wright State).  

Edit: I also remember hearing when he was hired at Ohio that he wouldn't schedule Ohio st. because he didnt want to coach against Matta.  Might be the same with Holtman at Butler.

Edited by Eagle66

21 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Just when I was starting to think you weren't that dumb. I'll make it simple. We have bought a lot of home games recently that weren't home and home deals. it appears Groce doesn't do that as much, so in short - not as many home buy games = less money spent. Groce's schedules at OU could easily be replicated here if he chooses to.

Finances aside, my point is "Groce doesn't do that much" isn't the correct approach to looking at this. "Groce's schedules" at Ohio were actually "Jim Schaus' schedules." Schaus has slowly transitioned away from being paid to play in away games to Ohio buying more home games. Groce was the first coach in Schaus' time at Ohio. If you look at the Wichita State model from Schaus' time there, it follows the same script. We could discuss scheduling theory for hours, my point is that most of the games and connections on Ohio's schedule from that timeframe were Schaus' connection and Schaus' theory on how to build a basketball program rather than Groce's, so while looking at Ohio's schedule when Groce was here is worthwhile, I don't think it's nearly as telling for your schedule moving forward as you believe it is.

17 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

We played @Villanova and @Akansas as part of the pre-season NIT tournament. Those were not buy games. We played @Creighton and @Gonzaga because we landed ourselves in a 2nd rate tournament and wanted some teams on value on the schedule. Our only home and home this year was Marhsall. The other games we purchased.

Point taken on Nova and Arkansas, I missed tournament factor for Ohio's game at GT quickly looking at schedule until I thought about it. Were @Creighton and @Gonzaga pay games?