Possible Late Additions

wadszip

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

I agree with you on both points.  Especially the 2nd point.  

This is very odd.  When I commented on him earlier, I thought it was strange that he was in April of his Sr. year with only medium interest and no offers.  Then I noticed that his Sr. year was actually LAST YEAR.....2016.   So, he goes to IMG Academy for a year and only gets an offer from Iona?

This is a strange path.  I hope he's going to be just a very late bloomer in terms of his skill level.  Recruiters typically salivate over a guy his size, even if he's still just a project.  So, the fact that he had to go this route is very unusual.  

From what I saw online, it looks like he grew quite a bit (6-8 to 6-11) from his sophomore to senior year.  As a senior he looks a little "solid".  It then looks like he lost weight at IMG. 

23 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

Could some of you more knowledgeable (than me) B-ball people explain to me about these academies, like IMG with this 6'11" guy?  I read earlier in the threads also about the SPIRE Institute in Geneva having a team.  Are these like Summer Camps or are they real substitutes or the real deal for high school?  Do they play their seasons at the same time as high schools?  And who do they play their gamrs against?  Inquiring minds (well, mine) want to know....

Thanks in advance for your help....

Second request...still in the dark about these academies and needing enlightenment....

18 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

Second request...still in the dark about these academies and needing enlightenment....

Not all academies are structured the same. IMG Academy is a large enough one that it has its own wiki page. They actually have their own campus. A lot of other academies partner with private schools.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMG_Academy

24 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

It's a place where they can go to try to develop.  I don't know anything about the cost, but I can see that he went to private high school, so maybe that wasn't an issue?

But for a guy with really good size to skip his Freshman year of college to go there just seems bizarre to me.  Yes, I know he had no offers.  But why not go to a JC just so you can play college basketball.  Then you can transfer out of there at any time.  That's how we got a Big like S. Patterson back in 1986.  I have no clue why anyone would want to go the route that this kid went on.   

41 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

It's a place where they can go to try to develop.  I don't know anything about the cost, but I can see that he went to private high school, so maybe that wasn't an issue?

But for a guy with really good size to skip his Freshman year of college to go there just seems bizarre to me.  Yes, I know he had no offers.  But why not go to a JC just so you can play college basketball.  Then you can transfer out of there at any time.  That's how we got a Big like S. Patterson back in 1986.  I have no clue why anyone would want to go the route that this kid went on.   

You go this direction, because you don't skip your freshman year. He still has 5 years to play 4 seasons. If you go to a JC you lose a year of eligibility. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, UAZippers said:

You go this direction, because you don't skip your freshman year. He still has 5 years to play 4 seasons. If you go to a JC you lose a year of eligibility. 

Who?  I think a few of us are just trying to illustrate how bizarre this is.  No offers out of high school, decides not to play for a year, and then a reputable mid-major gives you a D-I scholarship?  Is there anyone else at our MAC level who's gone to a basketball developmental school for a year after completing high school and then landed a D-1 full ride?  I just hope to God that it's not because of desperation and panic to fill roster spots, but I see that we might be in that unfortunate position at this point.  

Edited by skip-zip

35 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Who?  I think a few of us are just trying to illustrate how bizarre this is.  No offers out of high school, decides not to play for a year, and then a reputable mid-major gives you a D-I scholarship?  Is there anyone else at our MAC level who's gone to a basketball developmental school for a year after completing high school and then landed a D-1 full ride?  I just hope to God that it's not because of desperation and panic to fill roster spots, but I see that we might be in that unfortunate position at this point.  

Here's a few

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IMG_Academy_alumni

21 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Who? Obviously, I'm talking about the player that we are discussing. He did play for the past year, just not at a collegiate level. Another great example is LePear Toles, whom Akron offered in high school and multiple posters on this forum have been drooling over. Players generally go the route of a year of prep school, because they feel that they are better than their scholarship offers, it can be because they had a severe injury in high school, went to a small school and didn't have a high level of opposition, or many other things. In Mark's case, it seems that he had a pretty bad ankle injury and he feels that it affected who recruited him. He may or may not have gotten offers, I really can't find any official offers myself, but I have seen stories about significant interest from Dayton, Kent, Wright State, Northern Kentucky, and Toledo while he was in high school. It is not like IMG is a nobody. They are a well respected, national program.

It is not even new phenomenon. Here is a story from 7 years ago about players choosing to go to prep schools: http://www.ctpost.com/basketball/article/Prep-schools-can-provide-avenue-to-college-512963.php

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Below is a list of some players who have gone through IMG Academy. There are players who emerge after 1 year of JUCO. I guess I don't see how this couldn't be any different.

Renaldo Balkman, former forward for the New York Knicks.[4]

Michael Beasley, currently power and small forward for the Milwaukee Bucks

Satnam Singh Bhamara, center playing for the Texas Legends; the first ever Indian to get selected in the NBA (drafted by the Dallas Mavericks)

Ramel Bradley, currently playing for Hapoel Holon in the Israeli Super League

Earl Clark, forward for the Delaware 87ers[6]

Erick Dampier, former professional basketball player who last played for the Atlanta Hawks in the NBA

Taurean Green, currently plays point guard in Spain for CB Gran Canaria; drafted in the 2nd round (52nd overall) in 2007 by the Portland Trail Blazers; also played for the Denver Nuggets

Ricky Sanchez, drafted in the 2nd round of the 2005 NBA Draft by the Denver Nuggets; currently plays for the Santurce Crabbers of the National Superior Basketball League of Puerto Rico

Dwight Powell, current forward for the Dallas Mavericks.

Jonathan Isaac, college basketball player for the Florida State Seminoles.

Dwayne Bacon, college basketball player for the Florida State Seminoles.

Elton Brand, who has played for multiple NBA teams

Patrick Patterson, current forward for the Toronto Raptors.

50 minutes ago, lilroodude said:

I posted this in the recruiting thread for Mark. In an interview posted in that other thread, he mentions he's "back" and talks about an apparent Kevin Durant injury that he had. Does this injury have anything to do with his path?

That might explain some things.  That's what I've been trying to get at.  Thanks for the info.  

35 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Below is a list of some players who have gone through IMG Academy. There are players who emerge after 1 year of JUCO.

Nobody's talking about guys who attended IMG Academy.  I'm sure there's plenty of them who reached major success.  We're talking about someone who's already done with high school, gets no offers, and skips their would-be freshman year of college to go to IMG Academy.

I have a great belief in JUCOs. I agree.  If you choose the right one, it's great competitive basketball, and full of guys who were good enough to go D-I, but might have academic issues, etc.  And those guys work hard and have a lot to prove, because they are usually still being pursued by many of the same schools.  I also have my own first-hand knowledge.  I myself went to a JUCO with a guy who got a scholarship to a Major after playing two years there, and a couple others got their last 2 years of school paid for at some smaller schools.  

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

I don't know crap about IMG but I'm not sure what is so hard for skip to understand.

It's a camp/boarding school for basketball players.  I DO know what's hard to understand.  I'm talking about going to a place like IMG Academy AFTER high school, instead of going to your freshman year of college.  Find me some examples of guys who are going that route.  Unless....like in his case....he wasn't getting any college offers.  

Just trying to figure out this unusual story, my friend.   I'll stick with my assumption that guys don't skip college ball to go to a basketball school for a year, unless I see differently.   

19 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

It's a camp/boarding school for basketball players.  I DO know what's hard to understand.  I'm talking about going to a place like IMG Academy AFTER high school, instead of going to your freshman year of college.  Find me some examples of guys who are going that route.  Unless....like in his case....he wasn't getting any college offers.  

Just trying to figure out this unusual story, my friend.   I'll stick with my assumption that guys don't skip college ball to go to a basketball school for a year, unless I see differently.   

I gave you an example of a player who had plenty of offers: LePear Toles. 

Here is another: Andre Drummond, an all star NBA center, was fully prepared to turn down all of his offers and signed to go to a prep school until deciding to go to UCONN at the very last moment.

There is also every other player mentioned in the article that I posted that you seem to have conveniently ignored.

Edited by UAZippers
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

LePear Toles did.  He simply thought he was being under-recruited.  Fork Union Academy gave him an extra year to work on his game & to see if any more programs made offers.  

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

IT'S NOT UNUSUAL! 

Come on Skip! I know you are not that dense!:unsure2:

Student athletes opting to play extra year of high school sports instead of college

The primary reason? Student-athletes and their families are aiming to land a college scholarship, and in some cases even improving on the one already offered. "I think all over the country right now there are kids and families that are hedging a bet that if another year they are involved in sports then all of a sudden that school that was interested may see a physically stronger kid or a particular school who doesn't know about the child because they participate for another year at the high school level all of a sudden makes it in," says Hurley

1 hour ago, UAZippers said:

There is also every other player mentioned in the article that I posted that you seem to have conveniently ignored.

Don't get your feelings hurt.  I saw it, which is why I asked if those are guys that went to IMG at some point, or chose to forego their freshman year of college to go to IMG?  That's what I was trying to find out.  

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

LePear Toles did.  He simply thought he was being under-recruited.  Fork Union Academy gave him an extra year to work on his game & to see if any more programs made offers.  

Thanks.  That's what I was looking for.  I went and read the article on him.   I'm obviously way too old to fathom why a "prep school" route would be chosen for anything else other than academic issues.  Looks like Toles' decision was questioned for the same reason.  To each his own, I guess. 

Thanks to everyone else for the additional articles/info. as well.