Possible Late Additions

wadszip

26 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Sorry.  Did we get Kostelac?  

(And I thought Groce would recruit athletes and not just to fill positions like Dambrot?)

Or a slightly more recent one on Kostelac. Take the sources for what they're worth but this looks reasonably reliable.

Edited by MDZip

23 hours ago, skip-zip said:

It's a camp/boarding school for basketball players.    

Just to let those who aren't familiar with the history, IMG Academy is far more than the "Findlay Prep of Florida".  It was founded in the 70s as the Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy, where Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert were trained before their legendary careers.  Take a look at the wiki site, and see that the school offers luxury class accommodations to potential phenoms in many sports.  The locale has been the home for the US Soccer U-16/U17 National teams residential academy. and among those who attended were several Zips, including this one:  https://www.imgacademy.com/soccer-alumni-and-trainees/zarek-valentin

1 hour ago, Z.I.P. said:

Just to let those who aren't familiar with the history, IMG Academy is far more than the "Findlay Prep of Florida".  It was founded in the 70s as the Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy, where Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert were trained before their legendary careers.  Take a look at the wiki site, and see that the school offers luxury class accommodations to potential phenoms in many sports.  The locale has been the home for the US Soccer U-16/U17 National teams residential academy. and among those who attended were several Zips, including this one:  https://www.imgacademy.com/soccer-alumni-and-trainees/zarek-valentin

Thanks for chiming in.  I was actually just trying to define what it was, but certainly could have added more about the accommodations.  I actually saw some pricing :eek:   That's why I commented earlier that the money may not have been an issue for a private school kid. 

4 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

And to add a little more, IMG, the sports agency law firm that purchased IMG Academy, was founded in downtown Cleveland. ... For a LeBron angle, when Rich Paul (LeBron's agent) branched off on his own, he kept his headquarters at the IMG building in Cleveland.

IMG Academy (and agency) got their starts in the country club sports but have definitely branched out to be powers overall in athletics (baseball, basketball and most recently football). 

On a similar note, somebody (sorry I didn't go back to look to see who) asked about Spire Institue and how it and IMG operates. Essentially in the same way, Spire is just emulating what IMG Academy has established in Florida. Both offer world class athletic facilities (IMG originated in tennis/golf and Spire in track and field) now both offer wide-ranging sports, college-prep education (both pre and post HS graduate) and cater to students who want to pursue college/pro athletics. ... Though I believe the academics at IMG are far above what Spire offers since it is way more established (I believe Spire just started offering college prep courses within the past 5-6 years)... and probably why guys like Micah Potter (Mentor) and Kostelac (Chardon Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin) opted to go there to finish high school instead of Spire, which is like 20 minutes up the road from either.

Really, from what I understand, neither are different than most other prep schools outside of the fact they started as athletic first and branched into academics, where as other started as academic first and branched to athletics.

27 minutes ago, wadszip said:

Though I believe the academics at IMG are far above what Spire offers since it is way more established (I believe Spire just started offering college prep courses within the past 5-6 years)... and probably why guys like Micah Potter (Mentor) and Kostelac (Chardon Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin) opted to go there to finish high school instead of Spire, which is like 20 minutes up the road from either.

Just to keep the names, schools, and situations straight, since some of them have been talked about at length:

Potter was 1st team all-state at Mentor as a Jr., and decided to spend his Sr. year at Montverde Academy, not IMG.

Kostelac went to IMG after high school, and skipped his would-be freshman year of college.  

Valentin shows he went down to IMG Acedemy when he would have been about 15 yrs. old.  Can't see if he went there in lieu of a year in traditional high school, or possibly for a summer, etc.?

38 minutes ago, wadszip said:

And to add a little more, IMG, the sports agency law firm that purchased IMG Academy, was founded in downtown Cleveland.

That is correct.  Actually, my earliest memory of IMG was when I was in college in the 80's and read the now-legendary business book "What They Don't Teach At Harvard Business School", which was written by Mark McCormack, the founder of IMG.    Their first sports client was actually Arnold Palmer.  Nothing like starting at the top, I guess.  

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, wadszip said:

And to add a little more, IMG, the sports agency law firm that purchased IMG Academy, was founded in downtown Cleveland. ... For a LeBron angle, when Rich Paul (LeBron's agent) branched off on his own, he kept his headquarters at the IMG building in Cleveland.

IMG Academy (and agency) got their starts in the country club sports but have definitely branched out to be powers overall in athletics (baseball, basketball and most recently football). 

On a similar note, somebody (sorry I didn't go back to look to see who) asked about Spire Institue and how it and IMG operates. Essentially in the same way, Spire is just emulating what IMG Academy has established in Florida. Both offer world class athletic facilities (IMG originated in tennis/golf and Spire in track and field) now both offer wide-ranging sports, college-prep education (both pre and post HS graduate) and cater to students who want to pursue college/pro athletics. ... Though I believe the academics at IMG are far above what Spire offers since it is way more established (I believe Spire just started offering college prep courses within the past 5-6 years)... and probably why guys like Micah Potter (Mentor) and Kostelac (Chardon Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin) opted to go there to finish high school instead of Spire, which is like 20 minutes up the road from either.

Really, from what I understand, neither are different than most other prep schools outside of the fact they started as athletic first and branched into academics, where as other started as academic first and branched to athletics.

Wadzip...that was exactly what I was looking for...the IMG stuff great too.  I'm kinda a novice about this route to Collegiate level.  I just always assumed H.S. To NCAA was one step.

11 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Just to keep the names, schools, and situations straight, since some of them have been talked about at length:

Potter was 1st team all-state at Mentor as a Jr., and decided to spend his Sr. year at Montverde Academy, not IMG.

Kostelac went to IMG after high school, and skipped his would-be freshman year of college.  

Valentin shows he went down to IMG Acedemy when he would have been about 15 yrs. old.  Can't see if he went there in lieu of a year in traditional high school, or possibly for a summer, etc.?

That is correct.  Actually, my earliest memory of IMG was when I was in college in the 80's and read the now-legendary business book "What They Don't Teach At Harvard Business School", which was written by Mark McCormack, the founder of IMG.    Their first sports client was actually Arnold Palmer.  Nothing like starting at the top, I guess.  

Skip, thanks for the correction on Potter. Knew it was a prep school in Florida. Though in his case, I remember reading that he was a good student at Mentor, so him going to a prep school wasn't simply for college qualification reasons.

As for Kostalec, I won't claim to know what his situation was, but will just add that just because he went to prep school as a "fifth-year" senior, also doesn't automatically mean he had academic issues out of high school, especially coming from Cathedral-Latin. Kind of like JUCOs, there is a stigma around prep schools (especially for the fifth-year guys) that they only go there to get a basic college qualifying mark. For Kostalec, I'm guessing it was for more exposure than not being able to qualify. If that's the case, it was better for him to come to UA as a "freshman" and still has five to play four, instead of going to a JUCO and using a year of eligibility to get noticed.

Thank God for a vigilant press. It never would have occurred to me that a coach taking over a successful progrum, that had lost its two best players and had 5 transfer out, would be hosting possible recruits within a few weeks of that coach taking the job. :rolleyes:

So after one of the most hectic recruiting weeks I have seen as a Zips fan, we are down to one final open scholarship. Personally, I would like it to be an older transfer that can play immediately just for the experience and scholarship balance. I would love either the JUCO point Reece or the Oregon State transfer Duvivier. I would also be happy with the ECU center, but I think we need one more piece for next season. 

Obviously, with the amount of visits that have been happening lately, there is a good chance that the final scholly will go to a name that hasn't been mentioned yet. 

Edited by UAZippers