Groce's New Coaching Staff

Z.I.P.

I just discovered on Gozips.com that there are already two new coaches listed:  Kevin Byrne, former Head Coach at Ohio Northern, an Akron native; and (a GA), Allen Deep, just a year out of Indiana U, Pennsylvania.  Imagine there will be announcements soon for these, and this will be a place to discuss incoming and prospective coaching staff hires.

http://www.gozips.com/sports/mbkb/coaches/coachesindex

Edited by Z.I.P.

1 hour ago, Z.I.P. said:

I just discovered on Gozips.com that there are already two new coaches listed:  Kevin Byrne, former Head Coach at Ohio Northern, an Akron native; and (a GA), Allen Deep, just a year out of Indiana U, Pennsylvania.  Imagine there will be announcements soon for these, and this will be a place to discuss incoming and prospective coaching staff hires.

Those guys were there last year... 

Article from Rob Fulford's hiring at Mizzou.  I know two of his recruits, Stefan Jankovich and Webster-Chan who both transferred to Hawaii.  FWIW, Chan was maybe the best pure shooter I've ever seen in my life!   http://www.rockmnation.com/2014/10/6/6896487/rob-fulford-the-new-breed

Edited by Z.I.P.

On 4/10/2017 at 2:25 PM, Blackburn said:

I am VERY disappointed that we aren't hearing anything about bringing back a player or 2 for positions.  Hoping that it is just because it hasn't been in the press yet!

A former player, sure - perhaps Matt Futch, or hopefully Rome &/or Dru III one day.  But, other than Thomas, I'm relieved no one on the current staff was retained.  We sincerely needed a very real reboot & Duquesne bailed us out of a situation which was becoming tedious and awkward.  Zips athletics is one of the three passions of my life, and even I had a hard time dragging myself to the JAR last year.

Thank you, Dukies :wave:  Hope you enjoy :lol:

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

A former player, sure - perhaps Matt Futch, or hopefully Rome &/or Dru III one day.  But, other than Thomas, I'm relieved no one on the current staff was retained.  We sincerely needed a very real reboot & Duquesne bailed us out of a situation which was becoming tedious and awkward.  Zips athletics is one of the three passions of my life, and even I had a hard time dragging myself to the JAR last year.

Thank you, Dukies :wave:  Hope you enjoy :lol:

Amen.  However, I drag myself to every game +1.

On 4/7/2017 at 8:56 PM, Z.I.P. said:

Is this the Kevin Byrne that played b-ball at Stow?

19 hours ago, Rwbb54 said:

Rob is a great hire for Akron. He's a tireless recruiter who connects with players very well. The sky will be the limit for the Zips!

My Missouri buddy (who I've now mentioned here several times) had nothing but great things to say about Rob and said that even in departing, he did it with class.

I won't get into specifics, but he said that Fulford would've landed both 5-star Thomas Bryant (Indiana) and 4-star Ted Kapita (North Carolina State) if Kim Anderson didn't botch the recruitments. Both were Huntington Prep guys who played for Fulford. The Ted Kapita story I was told, if true (and I have no reason to believe it isn't), shows how out of touch Anderson was in recruiting. Lets just say, Anderson is probably the perfect candidate for the Oral Roberts position.

An interesting note, before Kapita went to Huntington Prep, he played a year at Spire Institute in Geneva. Spire, with its world class facilities, is trying to become a player on the prep/post-secondary basketball scene. They have produced a bunch of D1 guys the past couple of years and have a couple highly ranked guys coming up. I'm not sure if Fulford has any ties there, or if there was any sort of bad blood with Kapita leaving to Huntington Prep, but it could be nice having a guy who is familiar with those prep school type programs since we now have one in our back yard that is producing a lot of college talent.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mes102 said:

Lol, I wouldn't mind at all if Sonny tweeted that after hanging up the phone after accepting a spot on the staff. This is a great sign. Sonny (hard to believe how old I am, remember playing ... badly ... against him in summer league back in the 90s), now he is basically the dean of Cleveland area high school basketball. His voice carries a ton of weight.

• Like 2