Jimond Ivey

wadszip

With all this talk about who is leaving, who will be on Groce's staff, who will be coming in has had me doing some Twitter stalking, lol. 

One thing that sticks out is Jimond Ivey and the leadership role he seems to be taking. There has been no talk of him waivering, even though out of potential transfers, he is probably at the top of the list (above both Antino and Noah) in landing at a high major. Instead, he not only was front and center at the Groce presser, has been taking the "this is now your team talk" to heart.

The anti-OSU people will hate this, but this situation seems a lot like what it was when Tyvis Powell was the first player in the Buckeyes' football class to reconfirm his commitment to the school following the Jim Tressel fallout. True, that's not exactly apples-to-apples since Jimond is already established. But he's somebody, like Powell, if he wanted out, he had landing spots. But all you are seeing is somebody who appears to be committed to the school/program.

Powell has become somewhat of a folk hero at Ohio State. I think Ivey has the chance at doing the same at Akron. I don't blame anybody for leaving, but it says something to me when you see somebody embracing what will be a challenging season. If Jimond sees this out and helps continues to build on the foundation that has been established, there is no doubt that he will go down as my all-time favorite Zips player, and I know there has never been a player I will be rooting for more than what I will be doing for Jimond next year.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, wadszip said:

With all this talk about who is leaving, who will be on Groce's staff, who will be coming in has had me doing some Twitter stalking, lol. 

One thing that sticks out is Jimond Ivey and the leadership role he seems to be taking. There has been no talk of him waivering, even though out of potential transfers, he is probably at the top of the list (above both Antino and Noah) in landing at a high major. Instead, he not only was front and center at the Groce presser, has been taking the "this is now your team talk" to heart.

The anti-OSU people will hate this, but this situation seems a lot like what it was when Tyvis Powell was the first player in the Buckeyes' football class to reconfirm his commitment to the school following the Jim Tressel fallout. True, that's not exactly apples-to-apples since Jimond is already established. But he's somebody, like Powell, if he wanted out, he had landing spots. But all you are seeing is somebody who appears to be committed to the school/program.

Powell has become somewhat of a folk hero at Ohio State. I think Ivey has the chance at doing the same at Akron. I don't blame anybody for leaving, but it says something to me when you see somebody embracing what will be a challenging season. If Jimond sees this out and helps continues to build on the foundation that has been established, there is no doubt that he will go down as my all-time favorite Zips player, and I know there has never been a player I will be rooting for more than what I will be doing for Jimond next year.

I have no idea who Tayvis Powell is, or why I was supposed to hate your reference to him.  But I see the picture you are trying to paint, and I like it.  I see that he's a key guy who is committed to staying.  However, I have not heard anything at all about him being courted by anyone else.  

• Like 1

On April 12, 2017 at 3:44 PM, Valpo Zip said:

The biggest thing I learned from this is that Andy Toole knows talent. Robert Morris has never been a school I've followed (though remember them beating Kentucky in the first round of the NIT in a home game 4-5 years ago). But maybe we shouldn't be so quick to write of Josh Williams, Jon Williams and potentially LePear Toles as all being beneath Akron level if all end up at Robert Morris. 

Granted, we know Josh isn't below this level, but maybe he isn't taking quite the step down as we think.

Overall, this article shows what I have believed since the grad transfer rule came about ... in basketball it is way more beneficial toward the high majors than it is the mid and low majors (exact opposite in football, outside that it generally allows high majors to recruit another high school lottery ticket, since you see very few go from G5 to P5).

In basketball, the high majors are essentially trading their recruiting misses for guys who they originally also missed on (for a different reason), who have proven to be better than expected.

With that, I don't think the rule is going away, so just have to live with it. To me, this rule has made it more important for mid majors to try to land high major transfers with 2-plus years left (even if it means your eating a scholarship for a year). Because if you are waiting for a high major guy to transfer after eating 3 years of eligibility, that person is probably transferring because they weren't nearly as good (or didn't develop) like people thought.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Jimond Ivey earned Mid-American Conference East Division Player of the Week accolades after leading the Akron men's basketball team with two great performances, including a historic 48-point effort, the league announced Monday.

Over the two-game span, Ivey averaged 32.5 points while shooting 55.3 percent from the field (21-of-38) and 61.1 percent from long distance (11-of-18). In 79 minutes of action, he went 12-of-14 from the free throw line while adding 7.0 rebounds (14), 3.0 assists (6), 1.5 steals (3) per game.

Ivey broke several records in a 111-106 double-overtime loss to Ball State at Worthen Arena. Ivey scored 48 points to set Akron's all-time single-game scoring record which stood for 25 years. He also set the Worthen Arena records for most points and most 3-pointers in a game while tying the arena record for made field goals.

Ivey was magnificent on both ends of the floor against the Cardinals, shooting 65.2 percent (15-of-23) from the field that included a 75 percent effort (9-of-12) from downtown. Ivey scored 34 points in regulation and registered seven points in each of the 5-minute overtime periods. He was 9-of-10 from the charity stripe and added eight rebounds, two assists, two steals, and a blocked shot in 49 minutes of work. Source: GoZips.com

• Like 1

• Dr Z changed the title to Jimond Ivey
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I'm dusting off an old thread based on quotes on other threads and my observations of Jimond this year.

I have come to senior days of many seasons and stood to cheer the players I thought represented my alma mater in an exemplary manner.  I won't cheer any player louder than Jimond.  From that awkward out of control freshman to being a senior leader, Jimond has given 100% every minute he has been on the floor.  He stuck with UA when KD left and others bailed.  Last year, I watched him try to counsel and temper Virshon.  This year, I have watched him taking younger players under his wing and offer them advice or words of encouragement.  His impact on the team has gone far beyond his basketball talents.  He has done the Zips proud.

Good luck Jimond in wherever life leads you.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

I remember before any of us had seen the new players, we were guessing what the starting line-up might look like this year. NWAkron thought I was crazy, but I wasn't sure at that time if Ivey was guaranteed a spot in the starting line-up and that maybe LePear Toles could beat him out. But I did say that leadership was needed and if Ivey embraced that role he would be fine. I have to say the growth Ivey has shown from last year to now has been amazing, both as a player and a leader. I am very happy for him.

4 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

I remember before any of us had seen the new players, we were guessing what the starting line-up might look like this year. NWAkron thought I was crazy, but I wasn't sure at that time if Ivey was guaranteed a spot in the starting line-up and that maybe LePear Toles could beat him out. But I did say that leadership was needed and if Ivey embraced that role he would be fine. I have to say the growth Ivey has shown from last year to now has been amazing, both as a player and a leader. I am very happy for him.

I love LePear & enjoyed watching him in high school. But Ivey’s on a different level than LePear right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

I love LePear & enjoyed watching him in high school. But Ivey’s on a different level than LePear right now.

Oh, I definitely agree. But I am just saying that Ivey's game has improved so much even since last year when I thought he struggled driving the lane and handling the ball. So kudos to Ivey for putting in the work.  :thumb:

...and kudos to NWAkron.

Edited by Illini Zip
  • Like 1