Spring Game Atendance

Zipmlady

3 hours ago, Zipmlady said:

I know it's only the Spring Game, but hyped to get an ideal of what 2017 Zips FB will look like. Keeping my expectations realistic....but; I feel a winning season on the horizon.  GO ZIPS?

It looks like you might already be showing traits of a die hard Zips tailgater.  You posted something at 4 AM on a gameday, and you're all excited and ready to go !!.   

Great day at the Info. My thoughts on the game only include line play, with one exception, as many receivers and ball carriers were not in attendance. I listened to the post game report, and I believe the defense received accolades. This is not how I saw it. I thought the O line dominated. Brown at left tackle is being forced into early play, but should be a good one if he can put on 10 - 15 pounds. It appears that Ryan Kortokrax is gone from the roster, which is a big loss.

The defensive line is a major concern as the only player there is Brock Boxen. Moore is undersized, Copeland has been moved form Nose to D/E, and Williams seems out of shape. Not impressed with #68 Siegman either as he seemed slow. I defer to our coaches, but I believe we need immediate help on the D line.

Now to everyone's favorite - QB - I do not think Nelson is ready. He reminds me of Chapman when #5 played QB. Nick John's looked to me to be ready to play at this level.

Thank you Akron for great day - even women's softball was interesting as they were crushing KSU.                     

Okay my turn,

I thought of the two QBs Kato looked the best.  Really the best look was Uecher!  Tommy better get health quick.  With Ball not playing, Manny Morgan looked better than Van Edwards, especially since he was up against the 1st team D.  Kwadarius Smith looked the best WR, although Fransohn had some noce looks, but he is not sturdy.  Kwad is and is tall and fast.  Bennett was okay.  Chapman has a ways to go in the transition.  Defensively, it was Travonte Junius, John Lako, Deon'Tae Moore and Ibrahima Camara that stood out to me.  

Official attendance - 3,100!!!

And....I think I have the line on the cookies!!!!

I couldn't make it, but the report I heard indicated the Kato was much more athletic and talented than Johns, but neither come close to Woody. The guy I talked to said it was back to Pre-Woody level of play. He also indicated there were lots of dropped passes and that overall, the whole event looked unimpressive. 

I always find the Spring Game tough to gauge and if a lot of key personnel were missing, it makes it even tougher. IIRC, Bowden mentioned, recently, he would like to pick up D-Line transfers. 

I think football without JoJo will feel slow and less exciting unless Warren Ball can turn up some big plays.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zipsoutsider said:

I couldn't make it, but the report I heard indicated the Kato was much more athletic and talented than Johns, but neither come close to Woody. The guy I talked to said it was back to Pre-Woody level of play. He also indicated there were lots of dropped passes and that overall, the whole event looked unimpressive. 

I always find the Spring Game tough to gauge and if a lot of key personnel were missing, it makes it even tougher. IIRC, Bowden mentioned, recently, he would like to pick up D-Line transfers. 

I think football without JoJo will feel slow and less exciting unless Warren Ball can turn up some big plays.

You are correct. Problem with Akron spring games and others at this level is that you never really know how good/bad the defense is that that the offense is playing against and vice versa. And as you astutely mention,Bowden knows the D-line is need. He is also again going into the season with an untested QB,unkowns at RB and having lost his two best WR's. Maybe it will all come together in the summer. Hope springs eternal. Buy those season tix.! Is there an 'official' attendance figure for spring games when its free?

3 hours ago, UA1987 said:

Great day at the Info. My thoughts on the game only include line play, with one exception, as many receivers and ball carriers were not in attendance. I listened to the post game report, and I believe the defense received accolades. This is not how I saw it. I thought the O line dominated. Brown at left tackle is being forced into early play, but should be a good one if he can put on 10 - 15 pounds. It appears that Ryan Kortokrax is gone from the roster, which is a big loss.

The defensive line is a major concern as the only player there is Brock Boxen. Moore is undersized, Copeland has been moved form Nose to D/E, and Williams seems out of shape. Not impressed with #68 Siegman either as he seemed slow. I defer to our coaches, but I believe we need immediate help on the D line.

Now to everyone's favorite - QB - I do not think Nelson is ready. He reminds me of Chapman when #5 played QB. Nick John's looked to me to be ready to play at this level.

Thank you Akron for great day - even women's softball was interesting as they were crushing KSU.                     

I wouldn't start casting "defensive" stones quite yet. Again, a lot of big names (Jest, Gilbert III, Glover, etc.) were wearing gold parkas on the sidelines. Yes the D-line needs to tighten up and explode more off the snap. #68 Siegman is a red-shirt freshman, and up until 5 weeks ago was an O-Line guard.  He's brand new to that position, new to the plays, and also weighs in at 295 (not the listed 265), making him the largest D-lineman.  Shed some pounds, gather experience, and all will be better.  BTW, there's a good chance if you get pulled over by a Ohio State Trooper, it maybe Ryan Kortokrax writing the ticket. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigmexicanwoman said:

I wouldn't start casting "defensive" stones quite yet. Again, a lot of big names (Jest, Gilbert III, Glover, etc.) were wearing gold parkas on the sidelines. Yes the D-line needs to tighten up and explode more off the snap. #68 Siegman is a red-shirt freshman, and up until 5 weeks ago was an O-Line guard.  He's brand new to that position, new to the plays, and also weighs in at 295 (not the listed 265), making him the largest D-lineman.  Shed some pounds, gather experience, and all will be better.  BTW, there's a good chance if you get pulled over by a Ohio State Trooper, it maybe Ryan Kortokrax writing the ticket. 

The only thing you told me that was not known was that Kortokrax is a State Trooper. I believe he had another year of eligibility and I thought he might crack the starting lineup. Anyhow, hope he stays safe out there - dangerous job nowadays.

Lastly, Camara and Jest were pushed around too much last year. Unless there is some improvement from these two, I think the Zips defensive line is in trouble if they have to count on either of them for a lot of playing time in 2017.      

Edited by UA1987