Spring Game Atendance

Zipmlady

Ohio State just announced that they've distributed 82,000 tickets for their Spring Game to be held this weekend.  

I don't expect that we'll have 30,000 in attendance for the University of Akron Spring Game, but I'm excited to see good robust crowd.  Any predictions on the number of Zips fans that will be in attendance next Saturday?

Hmm...Well, if you've never been to an Akron spring game, I hate to burst your hopes, but we'll get somewhere in the neighborhood of 1k to 2k or so under the best weather conditions.

I'm glad OSWho "distributed" plenty of tickets, but I don't expect that they will get the high turnout that they have gotten at times in the past after they tanked the way they did at the end of last season.   

13 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I'll bet they do.

Based on the 100K they've gotten in some recent years, you'll need a miracle to prove your point.  They distributed 20k less tickets this year, and stopped at 82k.  And they'll certainly be well short of that with no-shows.  

13 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I'll bet we get 3K.

We hit a record with 2,200 a few years ago.  Please, tell us what you're seeing/hearing that will push us well over our previous record.  

I've never been to a spring game, but I'm not surprised by the 2k figure Skip threw out. I can't imagine a meaningless intrasquad scrimmage would attract many, if any, casual fans. I'd say I'm more than just a casual fan and there is no way I'd be attending without the surplus sale.

57 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I've never been to a spring game, but I'm not surprised by the 2k figure Skip threw out. I can't imagine a meaningless intrasquad scrimmage would attract many, if any, casual fans. I'd say I'm more than just a casual fan and there is no way I'd be attending without the surplus sale.

You are missing out. It is spring ball for us fans and tailgaters as well. Always nice to show up a few hours early, open a few "adult pops" and hang out with the lot 9 crew. 

I'm getting ready to bust out the tailgating gear to get it prepped for the party that will have food and beer guaranteed to be deeeeeeeeeeeelicious.  Zipmlady is invited!

Edited by K92
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

Figuring that the record is 2,200, and I don't see anything that's happened recently that would persuade any outsiders to want to be there, I think I'd be real happy to see 2k.  

The others are right though.  It's a great time if the weather is nice, and a great way to spend a Saturday in late April when everyone in Akron is really getting anxious to spend some time outside.  And it is indeed FREE.  

14 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Figuring that the record is 2,200, and I don't see anything that's happened recently that would persuade any outsiders to want to be there, I think I'd be real happy to see 2k.  

The others are right though.  It's a great time if the weather is nice, and a great way to spend a Saturday in late April when everyone in Akron is really getting anxious to spend some time outside.  And it is indeed FREE.  

If you don't think we can get at least 2,400 well I don't know what to tell you

4 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

If you don't think we can get at least 2,400 well I don't know what to tell you

I "think" that based on the history of our Spring Game.  Your "at least" number would be a record.  So I'll ask the same question you just asked me.  What conditions do you see that would make you believe that this would be the year that interest in Akron Football would be at an all-time high for April?  Losing your last 4 games, having a losing record, and no bowl bid would probably indicate that interest right now is pretty low in comparison to some other years.  

But yes, I agree that 2,400 SHOULD be an attainable number.  But obviously it's not.   

18 hours ago, Zipmlady said:

Ohio State just announced that they've distributed 82,000 tickets for their Spring Game to be held this weekend.  

I don't expect that we'll have 30,000 in attendance for the University of Akron Spring Game, but I'm excited to see good robust crowd.  Any predictions on the number of Zips fans that will be in attendance next Saturday?

A large portion of the stadium is closed off for renovations.  That's why only 80,000+ are available. I apologize for giving facts when certain posters, not you, try to force their own agenda. 

Losing in the national semifinals to the eventual NC is really tanking. LMAO. Getting blown out in one game is not tanking. It's sucking.  Losing your last however many games after a good start is tanking.  

BTW, isn't this an Akron board?  I know one poster here searches every thread to see if there is any small mention of OSU so he can jump on it with his childish name calling, but why discuss a team that isn't a competitor of UA one tiny bit?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Buckzip said:

BTW, isn't this an Akron board?  I know one poster here searches every thread to see if there is any small mention of OSU so he can jump on it with his childish name calling, but why discuss a team that isn't a competitor of UA one tiny bit?

+1,000

• Like 1

I say under 2 grand.  Nice day in April in Akron means do outside work or play, not sit at a meaningless psuedo game.  I've been to twoandamsuprisedto hear one was 2,200.  If the team had gone to a second bowl game, or went to the MAC Championship game....maybe 3,000.

It appears that my "agenda" must have caused thousands of people to decide not to use their 82,000 "distributed" tickets on Saturday in Cowlumbus :lol:   

https://www.landof10.com/ohio-state/watch-joey-bosa-ezekiel-elliott-honored-ohio-state-spring-game

The poster on this board who jumps at the chance to defend a competitor at every opportunity, and insists that we focus on "just the facts", might have wanted to heed the warning I issued in a previous post about fan enthusiasm for Spring Games being affected by bad finishes to the previous season.  It even happens at the almighty Ohio Stadium.  

Yes, it's too bad that several side sections were closed for renovations.  It looks like all of these people packed into the end zone seats like sardines in the video could have really used those seats :lol:

1) Your post is factually incorrect as there were not "thousands" of people who did not use their ticket. Exactly 1,857 people didn't use their ticket. 2) It's odd that somebody who dislikes OSU as much as you spends time reading their sites. 3) NOBODY CARES.

• Like 1