Zips open the fall season on Aug. 25 at Utah Valley

The sad thing in all of this is that there will only be 5 teams in the MAC this Fall. As expected, the MAC couldn't replace Buffalo that quickly. So, no automatic berth in the NCAA Tournament for the MAC. As such, why even bother playing a MAC Tournament... ultimate WHO CARES?!!

10 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

The sad thing in all of this is that there will only be 5 teams in the MAC this Fall. As expected, the MAC couldn't replace Buffalo that quickly. So, no automatic berth in the NCAA Tournament for the MAC. As such, why even bother playing a MAC Tournament... ultimate WHO CARES?!!

and a MAC tourney will probably hurt the RPI of the zips....as they will be playing teams ranked 80 or 100 in the RPI

• Like 1

So why is it taking so long to see OUR schedule??  Why do we have to learn from good sleuth work from board members combing other schools' schedules who the Zips pay?  When will we know the whole of it?  I was thinking it had something to do with the loss of Buffalo from the MAC and trying to tie things down, but BG got their's out...

I assume that our schedule is still being tweaked to get the best teams that we can to put ourselves in position for an NCAA Tourney bid without the MAC AQ. The other teams in our "conference" don't concern themselves with that, but Akron has to do our best to maintain our high standards. Zips Mens Soccer can't just play anyone. (reference how well that worked for at large-bids for Zips Mens Basketball)

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

So why is it taking so long to see OUR schedule??  Why do we have to learn from good sleuth work from board members combing other schools' schedules who the Zips pay?  When will we know the whole of it?  I was thinking it had something to do with the loss of Buffalo from the MAC and trying to tie things down, but BG got their's out...

and West Virginia had their schedule out in mid to late April...so 2 MAC teams already have their schedules out

7 hours ago, TennZip said:

and West Virginia had their schedule out in mid to late April...so 2 MAC teams already have their schedules out

BG and WVA are not trying to fill one slot at their hosted tournament.  Expect a pretty good side to round out that field.

9 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

I assume that our schedule is still being tweaked to get the best teams that we can to put ourselves in position for an NCAA Tourney bid without the MAC AQ. The other teams in our "conference" don't concern themselves with that, but Akron has to do our best to maintain our high standards. Zips Mens Soccer can't just play anyone. (reference how well that worked for at large-bids for Zips Mens Basketball)

I thought that the MAC has 2 years to get to 6 teams before they lose the auto bid, am I wrong?

2 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

I thought that the MAC has 2 years to get to 6 teams before they lose the auto bid, am I wrong?

I hope you are correct.  That would be having the cake and eating it too.  For two years.

18 hours ago, fknbuflobo said:

I hope you are correct.  That would be having the cake and eating it too.  For two years.

Hey...I found this on hustlebelt.com:

The drop of men’s soccer in particular leaves the MAC in a bad place for the near future. Men’s soccer is an optional sport for conference membership and currently only has six member institutions (Akron, BGSU, Buffalo, NIU, WMU and West Virginia), the bare minimum for an auto-bid to the NCAA Tournament. Hartwick was a former member, but recently moved to the Sun Belt Confernece.

Losing Buffalo means the MAC has to find at least one new member within two years. Otherwise, they lose that auto-bid, which directly impacts Akron’s soccer program, considered one of the best in the country.

So we've got that going for us....  :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ZipsVoice said:

Hey...I found this on hustlebelt.com:

The drop of men’s soccer in particular leaves the MAC in a bad place for the near future. Men’s soccer is an optional sport for conference membership and currently only has six member institutions (Akron, BGSU, Buffalo, NIU, WMU and West Virginia), the bare minimum for an auto-bid to the NCAA Tournament. Hartwick was a former member, but recently moved to the Sun Belt Confernece.

Losing Buffalo means the MAC has to find at least one new member within two years. Otherwise, they lose that auto-bid, which directly impacts Akron’s soccer program, considered one of the best in the country.

So we've got that going for us....  :D

Many thanks. I did not know about the 2 years.

wow, this is going to be a very tough match on the road for the zips

but as always....glad to see Coach Embick putting together a tough schedule

http://www.cuse.com/news/2017/5/15/mens-soccer-orange-announce-2017-schedule.aspx

The Syracuse Orangemen go back on the road to face Colgate (Sept. 25) and Pittsburgh (Sept. 29) before returning home to face Akron (Oct. 3)