Zips open the fall season on Aug. 25 at Utah Valley

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-articles/utah-valley-releases-2017-schedule_aid41720

OREM, Utah – Defending WAC Champion Utah Valley University will open the 2017 season against perennial national power Akron on Friday, August 25 at Clyde Field.

With Akron, the 2010 NCAA Champions, the Wolverines are likely to open at home against at Top 25 opponent for the second straight season. The Zips finished the season ranked No. 24 in three different polls after reaching the NCAA Tournament for the 31st time and winning their 13th MAC title.

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, TennZip said:

for those that like to plan far in advance...the zips will play at West Virginia on Friday October 27th.

W. Virginia is always one of the first team to release their schedule

http://www.wvusports.com/page.cfm?story=32363&cat=exclusives

So based on that there was no soccer only MAC school added for this year (expected since the Buffalo announcement just came out).  I wonder what the MAC will do.  Do they try to get another soccer only member or will Akron be allowed to join another conference for soccer only in the years to come?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, zippyfan34 said:

So based on that there was no soccer only MAC school added for this year (expected since the Buffalo announcement just came out).  I wonder what the MAC will do.  Do they try to get another soccer only member or will Akron be allowed to join another conference for soccer only in the years to come?

Hopefully, the latter. I would love to see Akron join a better conference as a Men's Soccer only member.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fknbuflobo said:

And what exactly was so bad about Hartwick?  I forget.

Traveling there. (Further than NIU)

I thought it was stupid to "kick them out" of the MAC. Always better to have the extra team just in case of the scenario in which we now find ourselves.

23 minutes ago, ZachTheZip said:

We can't switch unless the MAC stops sponsoring Men's Soccer. Kentucky won't leave C-USA, but we're stuck.

If WVU leaves, and the MAC goes down to 4 teams, I think Akron will have sufficient leverage to also go.

• Like 1

I'd love to be in a more competitive conference, even if it meant missing the NCAAs once in a while because we didn't earn our way.  Love to wath the Zips play, but so many of the MAC games have been such yawners, and the style of play by other MAC teams is ugly.  It'd be great to be in an 8-team competitive conference....IMHO.

• Like 2

For those zips fans....that love to travel to support the soccer zips.....it looks like you can have a great trip on the first weekend of the season.

We have already seen that the zips open their season on Aug. 25 at Utah Valley.  Denver(which has had a great team over the last 2 years) will host the zips on Mon. Aug. 28.

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-articles/denver-mens-soccer-sets-2017-schedule_aid41799

35 minutes ago, TennZip said:

Pittsburgh released their schedule today

Akron will play at Pittsburgh on October 24.  First time that they have met since 1983

https://pittsburghsoccerreport.com/2017/05/08/pitt-mens-soccer-schedule-announced-includes-psu-wvu-and-rmu/

So we should be playing against Robbie, with Keith and potentially Victor in attendance?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zippyfan34 said:

So we should be playing against Robbie, with Keith and potentially Victor in attendance?

I believe Robbie Dambrot and Bryce Cregan will both suit up for Pittsburgh in the Fall.

Watch out for this program under Jay Vidovich, not necessarily because of the aforementioned two.  Pitt soccer will be really good very soon.

3 hours ago, Crew8 said:

Cleveland State released their schedule today and will visit Akron on October 10th 

C_Y_0BQXUAEntfQ.jpg

very good find....

thanks for sharing with the group....

Hopefully, the zips will release their full schedule soon....

always an exciting day....when we get to see the full schedule

If true, I think that's a newer development than end of last season. I believe Ali was still HC when the Zips played CSU in April. Sure sounded like him barking at his players.

Kirk Harwat was stellar at both North Royalton and at Akron.  He presumably was dominant at Ashland as well, though I never saw him play while there.  Very good player.

But Ali Kazemaini is one of the best collegiate players I have ever seen.  Two time All-American?  He was absolutely spectacular for both Cleveland State and for the Cleveland Force.  He was 1985 MISL Rookie Of The Year.