Womens Soccer

As long as this thread is here...

TDS tweeted this morning that Cleveland Internationals' Director of Women's Coaching Keri Sarver, the former Akron assistant coach (years -- from about 2009-2014??) will be taking over as the new head coach of the US Women's U-19 National Team.  That is pretty amazing, and quite surprising.  Keri is a Jackson High School grad and former Maryland all-America who played in the WUSA and other pro leagues for several years, and was in USWNT camps, but apparently never capped for the national team.

The tweet from TDS: 

Here is Keri's bio from GoZips.com:  http://www.gozips.com/sports/wsoc/coaches/KeriSarverBio?view=bio

Edited by Z.I.P.
  • Like 2

Keri was a solid assistant here, but IMO the program never capitalized on her ties to the Internationals and Clubs in the area for recruiting.  She was only coach her for a few years, 2012 through 2014, under Vernon.  Would have liked it if she had a look for the HC job before they hired Noreen...not sure if she did or didn't.  She seemed to connect with the women on the team.  Different philosophies than the head coach at the time?  Dunno.  Played with the Terps at Maryland, to boot.  Good for her on the new assignment!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

Keri was a solid assistant here, but IMO the program never capitalized on her ties to the Internationals and Clubs in the area for recruiting.  She was only coach her for a few years, 2012 through 2014, under Vernon.  Would have liked it if she had a look for the HC job before they hired Noreen...not sure if she did or didn't.  She seemed to connect with the women on the team.  Different philosophies than the head coach at the time?  Dunno.  Played with the Terps at Maryland, to boot.  Good for her on the new assignment!

I think that, interestingly -- or amazingly, depending on your perspective -- the Akron athletic department has never seen the advantages to making an investment in the women's game.  Not anywhere near the extent of the men's program, but just in hiring a 'name' coach.  Not to disrespect the current coach, who I don't know at all, but Keri had won multiple national level awards for coaching at youth level.  Likely, she was making more $$$ with the Internationals than UA could pay her -- as is the reality in soccer coaching.  I was working with Vernon to bring the team to HI, but then he departed...  Oh, well.  I understand they are only allowed a trip W of the Mississippi every four years!  lol

• Like 1