5'8 Loren Jackson - Long Beach St Transfer

Source: U of A

Akron, Ohio – Over the weekend, the Akron Zips received a signed National Letter of Intent from Loren Jackson(Chicago, Ill.) to play for the men's basketball program, head coach John Groce announced on Monday.  Jackson is a guard transferring from Long Beach State, who will become eligible for competition during the 2018-19 season. "Loren is a terrific fit for how we want to play; he excels off ball screens and in the open court. He is a gifted leader with a high basketball I.Q. He will make an immediate impact on our team and the future success of Zips Basketball," Groce said.  The Windy City native appeared in 34 games and started five times for the 49ers as a freshman in 2016-17. In 18.9 minutes per game, he averaged 5.8 points, while shooting 43.7 percent from the floor (66-of-151) and 34.8 percent from beyond the 3-point arc (23-of-66). Jackson dished out 52 assists and grabbed 40 rebounds with 21 steals. "Loren is a coaches' son, who has grown up in a gym," Groce said. "He is a high-character guy with a relentless work ethic and knows what it takes to get better." Jackson was a three-star prospect and rated as the No. 9 prospect from Illinois in the 2016 class by ESPN.com.

• Like 5

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 3:32 AM, skip-zip said:

Definitely has to sit next year.  Played in plenty of games, and scored 5 ppg.  

I wonder if anyone knows more of the story.  Disgruntled with playing time?  That would seem odd if he was just a freshman.  Homesick?  Not likely if he's not going back to Illinois.  I wonder why he went there to begin with.  It looks like he had some better offers.

Maybe he was tired of the West Coast Beach Life, and dreamed about what summers would be like on Summit Lake :lol:

He well may have had the same idea that another Akron-connected guard had when HE transferred to the Beach two yrs ago -- remember that Evan Payne had a "Final List" of Xavier, Iowa State and Okla State, and wound up with the 49ers?

I don't know the exact story -- I'll see if I can find more!  However, while Dan Monson has had little success with LBSU, he IS the guy who turned Gonzaga from a mid-major into a national power, and he is very well regarded nationally.  I think he MUST be, or he wouldn't still be coaching at the Beach, everything (esp last few seasons) considered.

Looking at his overall record, I may have been a little overharsh on Monson -- though he has trailed off with three of his last four seasons having losing records, there is plenty of success.  The Big West, though largely low-major is not an easy place to win consistently.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Monson

I personally credit Mark Few for Gonzaga's run of success. Monson had that 1 great year Gonzaga that he used to land himself that next big job, but accomplished nothing thereafter. There have been a lot of mid-majors that have went onto having their 10 minutes of fame George Mason, Davidson, Loyola Marymount, FGCU, and even Kent State just down the road just to name a few. What separates schools like Gonzaga and Wichita State from the pact is they have shown they aren't 1 hit wonders.

Edited by kreed5120

4 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I personally credit Mark Few for Gonzaga's run of success. Monson had that 1 great year Gonzaga that he used to land himself that next big job, but accomplished nothing thereafter. There have been a lot of mid-majors that have went onto having their 10 minutes of fame George Mason, Davidson, Loyola Marymount, FGCU, and even Kent State just down the road just to name a few. What separates schools like Gonzaga and Wichita State from the pact is they have shown they aren't 1 hit wonders.

From the Wiki page on the 1999 NCAA tournament: 

"This tournament is also historically notable as the coming-out party for Gonzaga as a rising mid-major power. The Bulldogs became the nation's basketball darlings during a run to the West Regional final in which they defeated three major-conference powers, including 1998 Final Four participant Stanford, and took UConn literally to the last minute before losing. Gonzaga has made every NCAA tournament since then, and is now generally considered to be a high-major program despite its mid-major conference affiliation."

Dan Monson left for Minnesota the following season.

• 6 months later...