Game 1—@Penn State Nittany Lions

zipsoutsider

3 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

I have heard rumor King & Jest had to go Juco & Bell should be available just being disciplined, not sure if accurate 

i agree our defense should be better this year, not good enough to beat Penn State, & hopefully a healthy Ball & a more balanced offense & IMO more competitive this year

Unfortunately rumors tend to have some truth to them. The loss of King and Jest, if true, is a big setback. Our D-line did not get the transfers we desperately need and the young players in the wings are either too raw (Freshmen), need more time or lacking the first team talent we need. King's loss would take our LB's from a position of strength to one of average talent. I have given up on Bell from a character standpoint and his ability to grasp his assignments. I saw him, last season, repeatedly out of position. I don't think he gets it and Amato needs to look elsewhere.

Saquon Barkley's freak-show legs carry Heisman hype and Penn State's title hopes (full story)

Sports Illustrated PETE THAMEL
Wednesday July 19th, 2017

...Both Barkley and the program’s leap forward can be tied to the December 2015 arrival of (former Zips coach 2004-08) offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead from Fordham. Moorhead installed an RPO-spread that highlighted the mobility of quarterback Trace McSorley and used tempo to compensate for an undermanned line. The offense distributes the ball to soft areas of the defense by giving the QB multiple options to run or pass based on a presnap read. That means Barkley is often steaming into holes where the defense is outnumbered, or he’s isolated against slower players in open space...

barkley.png

5 hours ago, zzx said:

--- Looks like both LB James King and DL Davonte Jest have vanished from the roster

I know some of you liked Jest, but I thought he got blown off the line of scrimmage too much. He was only a true freshman, though, and it would be helpful to have him around, but he seemed to lack leg strength. Maybe Stroud will move Copeland back inside with the potential addition of Hanson at D/E. Off the radar for a while due to knee injury has been D. Jones. Could he help out at D/E along with Reinke? How's this for an opening game Dline two deep:

D/E                  NT                   DT         D/E

Moore Williams or Copeland  Boxen     Reinke

Jones  Williams or Copeland  Camara   Hanson 

Edited by UA1987

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

Damn it is tough being a fan sometimes. As for Jest planning to come back, I think thats what they all say.......

Maybe he can share an Uber fare with Anthony Clark when he comes back.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, UA1987 said:

I know some of you liked Jest, but I thought he got blown off the line of scrimmage too much. He was only a true freshman, though, and it would be helpful to have him around, but he seemed to lack leg strength. Maybe Stroud will move Copeland back inside with the potential addition of Hanson at D/E. Off the radar for a while due to knee injury was D. Jones. Could he help out at D/E along with Reinke? How's this for an opening game Dline two deep:

D/E                  NT                   DT         D/E

Moore Williams or Copeland  Boxen     Reinke

Jones  Williams or Copeland  Camara   Hanson 

I was one of the ones high on Jest. Definitely room to improve as you said, but I thought he looked fine considering he was a true freshman and not in great shape. Forget where I read it, but I would look out for Sampson along with Hanson to be involved as a true freshman at DE. I recall somebody saying (coach or media) say he had higher talent, but a lot of schools stayed away because they didn't think he would qualify.

Read this article

The analysis and expectations in the above piece is why I believe the Zips have 0.0% chance of winning this game.  An offense that is gearing up to prove itself the best ever versus a defense that is desperate to prove they can stop air equals an ugly blowout.

9 minutes ago, K92 said:

Read this article

The analysis and expectations in the above piece is why I believe the Zips have 0.0% chance of winning this game.  An offense that is gearing up to prove itself the best ever versus a defense that is desperate to prove they can stop air equals an ugly blowout.

Are you planning on making the trip, Keener?

9 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Are you planning on making the trip, Keener?

No.  I was there once and that is more than enough for me.  I am all for never scheduling them again because I do like to travel.  I doubt if I will tailgate in a horse arena ever again. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

Is it asking too much to require these people to do just a LITTLE BIT of homework before they write these articles???

Running the ball this year for the Zips will once again be the combination of Van Edwards Jr. and Manny Morgan. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Is it asking too much to require these people to do just a LITTLE BIT of homework before they write these articles???

Running the ball this year for the Zips will once again be the combination of Van Edwards Jr. and Manny Morgan. 

Just watched the Indiana PSU game from late last year. IU had 5 turnovers but almost won. It was in Bloomington which is big as being the home team is one of my difference makers. We have a huge hill to climb on this one, but it could get interesting. We need to hold on to the ball and if you commit a penalty make it count on the scoreboard. I'm not condoning dirty play, just foul someone to stop a long pass or a TD. We need to have pressure from the D Ends to have a shot. I'd show this film to our players if I was head coach.   

• 2 weeks later...

Penn State's Oline has @310lb LT, LG, and C. Their RG appears to be 339 lbs. and starting RT at @310. Wright is a big RT at 345 lbs. but appears to be a sub. I could see PSU loading up the right side with beef and running right in the second half. They of course go three deep with great talent at all positions on the Oline. Guiser may have to come up and help on a lot of plays leaving the Zips secondary exposed. If the Zips are close in the second half the defense will have to go with high risk pressure and run support as PSU wears down opponents and surges in the second half. If Akron gets blown out in the first half, we will see lots of subs. and it will be a scrimmage for both teams. Lets hope Terry game plans to win and not just to run the Brinks truck out to pick up the check. If we don't see some deep balls thrown to Wolf down the sideline in the first half then I question our intentions. I will be game planning nachos and beer starting at noon.         

Edited by UA1987

What is the latest on Mike Miranda from Stow?  I heard good things from Spring camp, but nothing from Fall camp.  Is he going to see much playing time for Penn State as a true freshman?  

2 hours ago, Cykron said:

What is the latest on Mike Miranda from Stow?  I heard good things from Spring camp, but nothing from Fall camp.  Is he going to see much playing time for Penn State as a true freshman?  

I posted something on Mike in the Winter, and haven't changed my opinion yet.  I watched him play all his high school games here in Stow, as well as basketball and baseball games.  Great kid,  great upside, great long term potential, but I think it was a stretch to go to a P5 school for him, and have him expect a lot of PT his first two seasons.  He'll have to learn (like most freshmen) that the game is so much faster than they expected.  I'm not saying Mike won't be a solid contributor down the line, but not his freshman year, unless PSU goes deep with injuries.  I may be wrong and time will tell, and I'll gladly take the ribbing if I am proven wrong.

1 hour ago, ZipsVoice said:

I posted something on Mike in the Winter, and haven't changed my opinion yet.  I watched him play all his high school games here in Stow, as well as basketball and baseball games.  Great kid,  great upside, great long term potential, but I think it was a stretch to go to a P5 school for him, and have him expect a lot of PT his first two seasons.  He'll have to learn (like most freshmen) that the game is so much faster than they expected.  I'm not saying Mike won't be a solid contributor down the line, but not his freshman year, unless PSU goes deep with injuries.  I may be wrong and time will tell, and I'll gladly take the ribbing if I am proven wrong.

I suspect that you are correct.  It did seem that expectations shot up way too high too early for him.  He has a ton of potential, but it is really, really tough to step right in and play on the offensive line.  I was hoping to get an update based on info from Fall camp.

On 8/19/2017 at 9:54 AM, UA1987 said:

Penn State's Oline has @310lb LT, LG, and C. Their RG appears to be 339 lbs. and starting RT at @310. Wright is a big RT at 345 lbs. but appears to be a sub. I could see PSU loading up the right side with beef and running right in the second half. They of course go three deep with great talent at all positions on the Oline. Guiser may have to come up and help on a lot of plays leaving the Zips secondary exposed. If the Zips are close in the second half the defense will have to go with high risk pressure and run support as PSU wears down opponents and surges in the second half. If Akron gets blown out in the first half, we will see lots of subs. and it will be a scrimmage for both teams. Lets hope Terry game plans to win and not just to run the Brinks truck out to pick up the check. If we don't see some deep balls thrown to Wolf down the sideline in the first half then I question our intentions. I will be game planning nachos and beer starting at noon.         

Every time I go to one of these big road games, I hope for a repeat of one of the following....

1) A repeat of the first 3 Quarters of the game against the Suckeyes in 2007.

2) A repeat of the first half against Tennessee in 2012.

3) A repeat of the entire game against Michigan in 2013.

I'll prepare for the worst, and hope for the best.   But like you say above, I want us to PLAY TO WIN the game, more than anything else.    As you see in 1,2, and 3 above, anything can happen if you play to win.