Game 1—@Penn State Nittany Lions

zipsoutsider

14 minutes ago, UA1987 said:

Yes, I agree about the scheduling. I like the Iowa State game but dislike top P5 opponents (play them in a bowl on a neutral site if you go 10-2 or something similar). I used to round and round with another poster about this. Getting a paycheck for a blow out game hurts the program as skeptical fans steer clear of teams that have been involved in a laugher opener. I have always thought the AD should focus on revenue by building attendance with wins and scheduling has a lot to do with it (no pansies just solid winnable games). Lets keep this one close and have a shot to win at the end.     

Not only solid winnable games but also reasonable game times, not Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday games. Perhaps rather than scheduling these big paydays at the first of the season how about the MAC becomes the OOC week the SEC schedules near the end of their season? Then the fans aren't turned off by early blowouts and we can play Can't when both teams have reasonable records (like 0-0).

Edited by Steve1982

You guys realize this isn't like basketball and the schedules are made years in advance, right? It really is impossible to predict how ANY team will be 5 years from now. Hell even OSU had a year where they won the Sugar Bowl and then had a losing record the next season (and almost lost to Toledo). I can't be the only one who remembers Ohio beating Penn State a few years ago. I can't be the only one who remembers when we came within a few inches of beating ranked Michigan. Yes it turned out Michigan sucked that year, but there was no reason to think that team was going to suck going into the game - same with Penn State. I wonder if Appy State fans are complaining about the "slaughter" games. That "slaughter game" made them famous! Going against good competition makes you better and will prepare you more for conference play. You play the games for a reason. I bet our players are loving the chance to go on national television with a chance to shock the world. Go Zips!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LZIp said:

You guys realize this isn't like basketball and the schedules are made years in advance, right? It really is impossible to predict how ANY team will be 5 years from now. Hell even OSU had a year where they won the Sugar Bowl and then had a losing record the next season (and almost lost to Toledo). I can't be the only one who remembers Ohio beating Penn State a few years ago. I can't be the only one who remembers when we came within a few inches of beating ranked Michigan. Yes it turned out Michigan sucked that year, but there was no reason to think that team was going to suck going into the game - same with Penn State. I wonder if Appy State fans are complaining about the "slaughter" games. That "slaughter game" made them famous! Going against good competition makes you better and will prepare you more for conference play. You play the games for a reason. I bet our players are loving the chance to go on national television with a chance to shock the world. Go Zips!

Here we go

31 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I can't be the only one who remembers when we came within a few inches of beating ranked Michigan. Yes it turned out Michigan sucked that year, but there was no reason to think that team was going to suck going into the game

Good point.  I don't necessarily understand why some Zips fans discredit this one.  It would have been the greatest win, by far, in Akron program history.  I was sitting in the stands at the Big House, and my phone and text message box was blowing up from friends all over the country who were watching that game, and knew I was probably there.  I was so into the game, I didn't answer one of them.  My hands were shaking.  I though I was close to heart failure.  That would have clearly been a "shock the world" moment, and it seems we get way too much of "well, they weren't good that year" comments here.  By their own standards?  No, they weren't that good.  By the historical standard of David vs. Goliath?  It would have been earth shattering.  And just to point out, Michigan wasn't bottom of the barrel I-A by any stretch.  They were ranked anywhere from #11 to #25 for the first 10 weeks of the season.   And when they played us, they were playing well enough to beat a good percentage of the I-A teams in the country.    

4 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Good point.  I don't necessarily understand why some Zips fans discredit this one.  It would have been the greatest win, by far, in Akron program history.  I was sitting in the stands at the Big House, and my phone and text message box was blowing up from friends all over the country who were watching that game, and knew I was probably there.  I was so into the game, I didn't answer one of them.  My hands were shaking.  I though I was close to heart failure.  That would have clearly been a "shock the world" moment, and it seems we get way too much of "well, they weren't good that year" comments here.  By their own standards?  No, they weren't that good.  By the historical standard of David vs. Goliath?  It would have been earth shattering.  And just to point out, Michigan wasn't bottom of the barrel I-A by any stretch.  They were ranked anywhere from #11 to #25 for the first 10 weeks of the season.   And when they played us, they were playing well enough to beat a good percentage of the I-A teams in the country.    

Even for Michigan "sucking", they only won one less game than they did the year Appy State beat them.

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

Even for Michigan "sucking", they only won one less game than they did the year Appy State beat them.

You seem to say scheduling top P 5 teams helps recruiting because players like to play in these games. I have not seen these great recruiting classes here at Akron you elude to despite scheduling many top P 5 teams. Terry and his coaches have to scurry around to find athletes good enough to elevate this program. I say early blowouts in games where we are perceived to be stretch scheduling hurt attendance and attendance has been a problem. Unfortunately MI was lost or stolen from us so nobody remembers except die hard fans. App St won their MI contest so everyone remembers. I hope for a good game with PSU and a chance for victory at the end. I hope I'm not hoping for too much.            

Edited by UA1987

22 minutes ago, UA1987 said:

You seem to say scheduling top P 5 teams helps recruiting because players like to play in these games. I have not seen these great recruiting classes here at Akron you elude to despite scheduling many top P 5 teams.

You are stretching my words quite a bit. Though I will say I think players value the opportunity to play against Penn State much more than they do Arkansas Pine Bluff.

Is any of the schedule, non-conference, dictated by Conference agreements?  I mean, it seems like every MAC team plays a BIG10 team, or SEC, usually on the same weekends....coincidence or does anyone know if the conferences work some kinda deal?

Edited by ZipsVoice
Spelling

6 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

Is any of the schedule, non-conference, dictated by Conference agreements?  I mean, it seems like every MAC team plays a BIG10 team, or SEC, usually on the same weekends....coincidence or does anyone know if the conferences work some kinda deal?

I cannot speak for the SEC, but I think for the MAC and the B1G, it is more of "there in the neighborhood" mentality more than anything else. In other words, a necessary evil for both sides....

11 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

FYI - bus trip to PSU is now sold out.

I tried this once.  For me, it takes away all of the enjoyment of going to places like that and enjoying the atmosphere, the town, etc.  

Maybe for convenience purposes in some cases where you just want an easy way to go to the game and back home, it works for you.  But it's such a beautiful place.  You have to spend the weekend.   For those who are driving out there like us, ENJOY !!

Other than Penn State's QB and RB their other preseason all Big 10 picks are their T/E Mike Gusicki and DB Marcus Allen. Gusicki is a better receiver than blocker and I believe our SAM linebacker (Junius or Bell?) has responsibility for coverage. Gusicki was their #2 receiver last year with 48 receptions. For some reason I keep hearing the  Maaco auto body ad jingle when think of this match-up.           

Edited by UA1987

2 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I'm sorry K92.  Now that you mention it, I do recall your post about how much you hated the gameday traffic in State College.  

I think I made my opinion of my last trip out there pretty clear.  I did hear that it is legal to buy a six-pack out there now.  Pennsylvania Progress!

Hey, guys, checking in again with just a few days before game day. Word is the Lion offense is ahead of the defense, although the summer concerns about our defensive line appear to have diminished somewhat. LB depth continues to be a question mark. Secondary seems solid, with a lot of experience there (with the possible exception of the replacement for John Reid). It sounds like the offensive line is capitalizing on the experience it's gained over the last couple of years (esp. from last year where injuries forced other, younger guys to play a role). Barkley and McSorely are getting a lot of press, of course, but Tommy Stevens (back-up QB) and the three-headed RB beast of Sanders (#24), Robinson (#6), and Allen (#8) should give the starters a breather once in a while.

Kicking may or may not be affected by Joey Julius' departure; hopefully Gillikin continues his punting success.

Read your comments about your RB. If Penn State loads the box to force your QB to throw, how's your passing game look? From what I read, some of our larger receivers (Charles, Johnson, et al.) are having good practices; how is your secondary shaping up?

Safe travels for those of you making the trip, and hope you enjoy the game.

1 hour ago, PSU_Lions_84 said:

Hey, guys, checking in again with just a few days before game day. Word is the Lion offense is ahead of the defense, although the summer concerns about our defensive line appear to have diminished somewhat. LB depth continues to be a question mark. Secondary seems solid, with a lot of experience there (with the possible exception of the replacement for John Reid). It sounds like the offensive line is capitalizing on the experience it's gained over the last couple of years (esp. from last year where injuries forced other, younger guys to play a role). Barkley and McSorely are getting a lot of press, of course, but Tommy Stevens (back-up QB) and the three-headed RB beast of Sanders (#24), Robinson (#6), and Allen (#8) should give the starters a breather once in a while.

Kicking may or may not be affected by Joey Julius' departure; hopefully Gillikin continues his punting success.

Read your comments about your RB. If Penn State loads the box to force your QB to throw, how's your passing game look? From what I read, some of our larger receivers (Charles, Johnson, et al.) are having good practices; how is your secondary shaping up?

Safe travels for those of you making the trip, and hope you enjoy the game.

Our QB, if healthy, which is a big IF, is one of the better QBs in the MAC. The bigger concern is WR. We lost two guys from last year who are currently on NFL rosters. There are a handful of guys that could have made a leap and turned into respectable WRs, but its a big question mark.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Our QB, if healthy, which is a big IF, is one of the better QBs in the MAC. The bigger concern is WR. We lost two guys from last year who are currently on NFL rosters. There are a handful of guys that could have made a leap and turned into respectable WRs, but its a big question mark.

It really sounds like Tommy (QB) is back in prime form. The real question marks remain at the DL and the WR positions. I am not sure that this is a game we will be able to use to judge how much better our defense is. 

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

Putting guys into the NFL is no mean feat, and speaks to the coaching quality. Hopefully those coaches are able to repeat their success with this year's WR crop.

Here's hoping for a great game with no injuries on either team!

On 8/27/2017 at 1:56 PM, PSU_Lions_84 said:

If Penn State loads the box to force your QB to throw, how's your passing game look? From what I read, some of our larger receivers (Charles, Johnson, et al.) are having good practices; how is your secondary shaping up?

The Zips passing game is unknown right now.

QB Tommy Woodson is reportedly healthy and ready to play. That would be huge for the Zips, because he is a talented senior. If receivers get open, he hits them. And he throws a nice deep ball. 

The receivers are mostly new, but I like them. I look for Williams to have a fantastic Freshman season. Tough to tell with Stewart, because he's been dinged up . If he's healthy, he's going to be a great one. Dixon looks really promising...Wolf and Coney are proven seniors...Chapman looks good in the slot. My only concern with our passing game is how long it will take for Woodson to shake off the rust, and how long it will take for him to develop chemistry with the new guys. I don't have any concerns regarding the actual talent.

So to answer your question - If Penn State stacks the box, we have a great chance to bust some big-gainers. Our OL is a strength, Woodson is a talented vet and we have talent at WR. 

Our secondary is the #1 strength of the team. If Gilbert and Davis can be any kind of disruptive force in the backfield, the Zips DB's will get a pick or two. 

The Zips staff needs to play-to-win. If we're ultra-conservative on offense, then we'll lose 48-7. 

In games like this, for the smaller team to win, someone unexpected needs to break out. I'm excited to see Andre Williams and Jamal Davis III (Pitt transfer) make their Akron debuts. 

• Like 1