Game 1—@Penn State Nittany Lions

zipsoutsider

29 minutes ago, Zipgrad01 said:

Kato Nelson needs to be the starter 

Woodson is immobile and there is no read option with him 

Nelson also appears to throw more accurately and with more velocity  than Woodson

Edited by zzx
  • Like 1

PSU is really really good. I wasn't expecting to learn much about the Zips but man they looked bad.  Kinda reminded me of the beat down Brookheart's Zips had at UVA. 

Some small things I learned....

Wr still is an issue.

Play calling is still an issue although I liked the fake bootleg deep ball Woody underthrown. 

If Ball is healthy feed him. 

Woody doesn't look right. Kato needs to play for know. He has talent no doubt. 

I also hated Woody's childish behavior.  He's a senior and needs to show a better example on the field. 

Didn't like not going for a score on the last drive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zipgrad01 said:

Seriously??? Woodson is incapable of making the throws required to run our offense. It isn't his fault. He is still injured. 

I meant Kato, not Woodson....

I stuck with the radio broadcast as long as I could while cleaning up my car, but I finally shut it off when I couldn't bear to listen to Ross Detweiler (or whatever his name is).  I love Frenchy and Joe Dunn's great, but that guy's stuttering and stammering coupled with his constant uttering of cliches and assorted idiocies makes me crazy.  He may be the greatest guy in the world but he's like listening to a spoon in a blender for me.  His high point today happened well in the third quarter with Penn State's starters still in when he explained that there's really very little difference between the PSU and UA starters, the big difference being in team depth.  I guess that explains why PSU's first teams were up 38-0 at the time. 

Remember that time when everyone freaked-out that Kato was listed last on the depth-chart, and was clearly an indication that he sucked and we had no talent other than Woodson on the team at QB?  (yes I'm being slightly sarcastic)

Edited by Balsy

6 hours ago, lance99 said:

Just about any QB looks good when there is no tape on him......

2 hours ago, Balsy said:

Remember that time when everyone freaked-out that Kato was listed last on the depth-chart, and was clearly an indication that he sucked and we had no talent other than Woodson on the team at QB?  (yes I'm being slightly sarcastic)

Kato rushed for more yards than Warren Ball. No sarcasm. 

2 hours ago, Zipgrad01 said:

Oh yeah...USC and WMU is 35-28 ... so so t give me this "penn state is good" bullshit. USC is rated higher than penn state 

Why not?  Rankings mean absolutely nothing right now.  So being "higher ranked" literally means nothing.  And I'm not saying this to be a Bowden apologist right now...seriously...but using "USC is good because of their ranking" is just as reliable as saying "penn state is good" because of their ranking.  

Akron looked pretty equally miserable against a #19 Oklahoma (that later became #4 and played in the CFP), yet Akron had it's best year ever (8-5) with it's first Bowl win ever.  

So yeah, IDK, I just don't like jumping to conclusions off of one game...other than my prediction that Woodson wouldn't be the same QB.  I was hoping he would be, but today he didn't appear to, and I had feared it'd be because of the results of that injury.  Hopefully this observation will NOT be the season for him, and I'm not willing to declare him a hopeless cause just yet.

Edited by Balsy
  • Like 1