Game 1—@Penn State Nittany Lions

zipsoutsider

2 minutes ago, LZIp said:

What about it besides that fact that it was horribly executed? Or maybe Johns realized he wasn't getting the call and threw it away.

Looked like a called play for all linemen to stay in their stance.

9 minutes ago, K92 said:

Looked like a called play for all linemen to stay in their stance.

That "play" has been a common theme over Bowden's tenure. i.e. throwing it long when you think you got the defense to jump off-sides. It has worked more than a handful of times as it'll catch the defense off guard. Not a team like Penn State I guess. Its essentially taking a shot on what is thought to be a free play.

Edited by LZIp

49 minutes ago, K92 said:

I saw some crying to the referees from Tommy, which I am never a fan of, so that was disappointing.  Mostly what I saw from him was disgust with the sideline but I have to tell you, if I was a senior qb wanting to "go go go" and "win win win", still waiting at the line of scrimmage (again) for plays to come in, I would be exasperated too.  Delayed playcalling has become a calling card for us.

The delay in play calling is just another thing that annoys me with our Offensive Coordinator. We need to make a change already. The last time our offense looked good on a consistent basis, for more than one or two random games, was when Bowden was handling the play calling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

That "play" has been a common theme over Bowden's tenure. i.e. throwing it long when you think you got the defense to jump off-sides. It has worked more than a handful of times as it'll catch the defense off guard. Not a team like Penn State I guess. Its essentially taking a shot on what is thought to be a free play.

I get that.  i have watched 48,732 quarters of football. :D Usually when the ball is quick snapped to try and catch a team offsides, the linemen come out of their stance.  Just looked really odd to me.

Not enough good plays come to mind from Saturday, but there were a few.  Obviously, Guiser's interception. Reinke's 4th down tackle on Barkley. Warren had some nice runs up the middle, I wish the play calling would have had more of that. PSU defenders were too quick when the Zips tried running anything outside. Kato showed some nice moves on a run up the middle. I've said this before, but if you are at the game watching the Akron defense, take a series or two and watch Alvin Davis, he amazes me at 165 pounds. He had two open field tackles on Barkley and Gesicki that were awesome. I'm not sure they showed this on tv or not because it was away from the play late. Gesicki lined up and the slot, and Alvin come up and played press cover on him. At the snap of the ball Alvin attacked him and got his hands inside his numbers and wrestled him for five yards up the field. Gesicki and Alvin talked at the end of the game at midfield, I wish I could have heard the conversation. Gesicki walked away from the conversation laughing.  I was surprised how much time Denzel Butler played, I guess coach wasn't kidding when he said he had a good summer. PSU was as advertised. McSorley, Barkley, Gesicki were awesome, I'll be interested to see how upper teams defend them throughout the year. Time to get up off the mat, and come out swingin this Saturday! 

• Like 3

Just got off a phone appeal with an office in Utah. The guy was laughing at the Akron game. Yep, this one reached all the way across the Country. I think some of you are getting it right in that we should only schedule games with teams that traditionally fall outside of the top 25. If we are good enough at the end of the season, maybe we go to good paying bowl and play a competitive game with a top 25 team. Our home opponent targets should be teams that are likely to bring fans, like Iowa State, Marshall, or an FCS team that might fill seats (wish we could get Tressell to force Y-towns AD to cave on their home and home requirement).                         

Edited by UA1987
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Give me the bottom half of the Big Ten: Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue or Rutgers.

Just say no to Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska & especially Penn State & Wisconsin.

(Personally, I like playing Ohio State.)

You probably already know this, but we play both Nebraska and Northwestern next year. I like the Northwestern game even though they are good again like the mid-nineties, just because i've heard some of their fans say their athletic department would never schedule Akron in football (I guess that meant they would hold their elitist noses to schedule a soccer match, but only in Evanston).  

Edited by UA1987
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, UA1987 said:

You probably already know this, but we play both Nebraska and Northwestern next year. I like the Northwestern game even though they are good again like the mid-nineties, just because i've heard some of their fans say their athletic department would never schedule Akron in football (I guess that meant they would hold their elitist noses to schedule a soccer match, but only in Evanston).  

UA1987, are you sure we play Northwestern next year?  I was just looking at our future schedules and only see @ Nebraska and @ Iowa State listed.

20 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Give me the bottom half of the Big Ten: Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue or Rutgers.

Just say no to Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska & especially Penn State & Wisconsin.

The amount of the payout probably has a lot to do with who we're scheduling. I'd guess it would be a lot less from those who aren't filling 106K stadiums.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

UA1987, are you sure we play Northwestern next year?  I was just looking at our future schedules and only see @ Nebraska and @ Iowa State listed.

Yes Sirrr! Look at Northwestern's future schedule unless it gets cancelled somehow down the road (no time to provide link). My brother is also an alumni of NU and he confirmed. Looks like I'll be going to Evanston for this one. I'll have to wear a glove with a zipper on my middle finger to field the Zipper comments. Really though, we have something in common with the Wildcats in that for years they have received zero respect. My brother would unfurl a giant purple tarp when NU took the field at away games to make the visiting fan contingent look bigger.            

Edited by UA1987
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, zippy5 said:

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/mid-amer/akron-zips.php

I hope something is changed and we don't play these 3 road games in one season

NO! Don't change it.  It's only 3 hours for me to get to Lincoln. Then 5 1/2 to Evanston, but my son is an NU grad and long time season ticket holder.  Then, a 30 min trip to Ames to top it off.  I'm pumped.  I know the team may start feeling like orphans, but they are young.  They will survive.

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 5:08 PM, Blue & Gold said:

I'll take the ACC also, except for FSU, Clemson and Louisville. It seems we should be able to make money and have a chance at winning. Of course every other MAC team is aiming for the same thing.

• Like 1