Game 1—@Penn State Nittany Lions

zipsoutsider

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

K92...lets try this. 

Win or Lose.  If you are going to make a weekend road trip....

Would you choose to be at one of those 3 exciting games?  Or.  One of the typical blowouts?

I want to win.  Moral victories mean nothing to me.  However, if you would allow me to make a retroactive choice, I would choose Akron to sit Warren Ball for Wisconsin last year.  We had 0.0% chance to win that game and we really needed him in the MAC.

8 hours ago, Cykron said:

I suspect that you are correct.  It did seem that expectations shot up way too high too early for him.  He has a ton of potential, but it is really, really tough to step right in and play on the offensive line.  I was hoping to get an update based on info from Fall camp.

Sorry 'Kron...it's all I can do (or care about) with the Zips, let alone Penn State. B)

13 hours ago, K92 said:

I want to win.  Moral victories mean nothing to me.  However, if you would allow me to make a retroactive choice, I would choose Akron to sit Warren Ball for Wisconsin last year.  We had 0.0% chance to win that game and we really needed him in the MAC.

I want to win too.  

I thought we'd have no chance of winning the other 3 games I cited either, before they were actually played.  

14 hours ago, K92 said:

However, if you would allow me to make a retroactive choice, I would choose Akron to sit Warren Ball for Wisconsin last year.

Would you sit Ball against PSU, or limit his carries in any way because of the same reasoning? 

47 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I want to win too.  

I thought we'd have no chance of winning the other 3 games I cited either, before they were actually played.  

We lost.  How does that translate into % chance for winning?

Ball came back to prove himself worthy of an NFL spot after last season was a bust. It's the same reason he transferred to Akron in the first place: to get a chance to shine in the spotlight as a featured back. You don't sit him for the only opportunity he'll have to prove himself against top competition, where the NFL scouts will be watching. That would be an incredible disservice to him.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I get the logic of sitting and I really don't disagree, especially after Wisconsin last year, but it is just not a good message to send to your team.

I would ask Warren Ball if he felt playing against Penn State was something he wanted to do.

If Warren said "Hell yeah. You think I came back for a 6th year to play against Arkansas Pine Bluff? I plan on being an NFL back next season. If I can't steamroll a sophomore Penn State linebacker what chance do I have against Dont’a Hightower?'

Warren's earned the right to do whatever he wants to do. 

• Like 1

You go into this game to win. As the game progresses it will become apparent if we have a shot. If the battle looks bleak, then Ball comes out first, then you get Woodson out and learn more about our QB backups. If Woodson comes out this signals game over to everyone watching (including the players). I think we have a good chance of being close into Q3.          

Edited by UA1987
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, UA1987 said:

You go into this game to win. As the game progresses it will become apparent if we have a shot. If the battle looks bleak, then Ball comes out first, then you get Woodson out and learn more about our QB backups.       

Perfect.  

So, lets apply that to the Wisconsin game last year, since plenty of people keep talking about it.

It was mid-2nd Quarter, and we were only down 16-0 and moving the ball.  At that point, you should still be using every resource you have to win the game.  And we were.   

Edited by skip-zip

3 hours ago, Dr Z said:

Would you sit Ball against PSU, or limit his carries in any way because of the same reasoning? 

No.  I'm just armchair qbing, after the fact, pissin&moanin.  Unless there is a medical reason not to, players gotta play no matter the odds of winning.  I guess my real beef is with scheduling unwinnable games.

25 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Had Warren stayed at OSU, there were roughly ten P5 games on the schedule that he'd have needed to endure.

At Akron, there's two. Of all the players on the Zips roster, he's the one most built to withstand 4 quarters of P5 football.

Run, Warren run!

You don't sit a kid who wants play in the league in a P5 game.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Had Warren stayed at OSU, there were roughly ten P5 games on the schedule that he'd have needed to endure.

At Akron, there's two. Of all the players on the Zips roster, he's the one most built to withstand 4 quarters of P5 football.

Run, Warren run!

You are absolutely 100% right.  However, OSU also has a thing called roster depth, though.

Make no mistake, if healthy, I believe WB34 should play against PSU.  Actually, it is probably a better argument to have whether or not he should play against UAPB.

I hope he goes off for 428 yards against the Nits and sets the all time single game rushing record in a Zips win for the ages.  If he gets hurt again, I will still bitch but that's what people expect from me anyway.

Apples & oranges, but as an aside for everybody, if your NFL team had home field advantage locked up for the playoffs before game 16, would you want your stars risking injury to play in a non-impactful game?  Just curious.  

If they did play and you lost a couple of star players for the playoffs because they were injured in a "meaningless" game, would you be pi$$ed?

5 minutes ago, Buckzip said:

What type of message does it send to the rest of the team if you sit a player for fear of injury?

1-We have no shot so why bother risking injury?
2-Why is he the only player the coaches are worried about getting hurt? Are we not important?

As far as I know, I was the only person saying sit him and I don't really believe that we should.  You are 100% correct.  You can't sit a player unless there is a medical reason.  There have probably been some pretty flimsy medical reasons over the years, but that is another discussion.

Guys. . . sometimes no one argues with skip-zip in a timely manner and I just try to do my duty and not let those opportunities pass by. :rofl:  Just messing with you, Skip.

1 hour ago, K92 said:

No.  I'm just armchair qbing, after the fact, pissin&moanin.  Unless there is a medical reason not to, players gotta play no matter the odds of winning.  I guess my real beef is with scheduling unwinnable games.

Yes, I agree about the scheduling. I like the Iowa State game but dislike top P5 opponents (play them in a bowl on a neutral site if you go 10-2 or something similar). I used to round and round with another poster about this. Getting a paycheck for a blow out game hurts the program as skeptical fans steer clear of teams that have been involved in a laugher opener. I have always thought the AD should focus on revenue by building attendance with wins and scheduling has a lot to do with it (no pansies just solid winnable games). Lets keep this one close and have a shot to win at the end.     

16 minutes ago, K92 said:

Guys. . . sometimes no one argues with skip-zip in a timely manner and I just try to do my duty and not let those opportunities pass by. :rofl:  Just messing with you, Skip.

:rock:

Thanks for the good laugh.  I don't recall ever finding anything you say to me to be personal, or outside of what should be acceptable on a sports forum.  Keep em coming.  I love your passion and participation.  

Oh, by the way.......Warning to everyone NOT to look at the Eclipse this afternoon.  You'll go blind.  And we can't afford to lose anyone who actively reads and responds to posts about the Zips  :D