Preseason Rankings 122, 116, 106, 94...

K92

5 minutes ago, Zipgrad01 said:

The only people circle jerking are the ones stroking off on the Bowden pedigree. Has it left a bad taste in your mouth?

I'm not sure I know of anyone doing that. I have stated I'm fine with moving on if the program is where it was last year when his contract is up.

9 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I'm not sure I know of anyone doing that. I have stated I'm fine with moving on if the program is where it was last year when his contract is up.

There are quite a few on here. I am happy to see that you have common sense 

13 hours ago, Zipgrad01 said:

The only people circle jerking are the ones stroking off on the Bowden pedigree. Has it left a bad taste in your mouth yet?

If, at the end of the 2011 season, Zips fans had been told that the next Zips coach would take the team from rock bottom to the winningest record in it's history, and the first bowl win in history by his fourth season everyone would have signed up for it.  Framing is everything.

11 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I'm expecting another 5-7 season as has become tradition.

7-5.  (Ark P-B, Iowa St., BGSU, Ball St., Buff, Ohio, Kent)

10 minutes ago, Balsy said:

If, at the end of the 2011 season, Zips fans had been told that the next Zips coach would take the team from rock bottom to the winningest record in it's history, and the first bowl win in history by his fourth season everyone would have signed up for it.  Framing is everything.

7-5.  (Ark P-B, Iowa St., BGSU, Ball St., Buff, Ohio, Kent)

How any sane human could pick us to beat both BGSU and OU is beyond me. Let's hope

1 hour ago, Balsy said:

We finished tied for 6th place in the MAC. I fully expected that by year 4 considering we have the best football facilities in the MAC, play in the most fertile recruiting ground in the MAC region, and signed a coach with a recognizable name. I was also expecting we'd be contenders in the weak MAC East by this point, which we haven't been and don't foresee us being this season.

Edited by kreed5120

3 hours ago, zippy5 said:

How any sane human could pick us to beat both BGSU and OU is beyond me. Let's hope

1) Eternal Optimist.
2) Ohio beat us by 3 points last year.  They're not world beaters themselves.  They've beaten us by less than a touchdown the last three years.  We're overdue.

Hopefully Groce can deliver a few NCAA Tourney wins to help pay for the tragic joke that is Akron Football.

Should have built a new college basketball arena and a high school football field rather than building that new collegiate football stadium while maintaining a high school gymnasium.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LZIp said:

The football team has as many post season wins since I began going to Akron in 2010 as the basketball team does.

Basketball since 2010-2011 school year

7 Seasons with a winning record

7 postseason appearances

2 Conference Tournament Championships

4 MAC Regular Season Championships

Football since 2010-2011 school year

1 Postseason appearance

1 Season with winning record

There is no denying our football program in it's 25+ year history has been a joke. Our program record for wins is 8. Appalachian State won 11 games its 2nd year FBS and followed that up with a 10 win season year 3.

5 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Basketball since 2010-2011 school year

7 Seasons with a winning record

7 postseason appearances

2 Conference Tournament Championships

4 MAC Regular Season Championships

Football since 2010-2011 school year

1 Postseason appearance

1 Season with winning record

There is no denying our football program in it's 25+ year history has been a joke. Our program record for wins is 8. Appalachian State won 11 games its 2nd year FBS and followed that up with a 10 win season year 3.

I'm not denying anything man. I'm tired of the football vs basketball debate. The basketball team has generally had a winning record in the shitty MAC. That's it. Congrat.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I'm not denying anything man. I'm tired of the football vs basketball debate. The basketball team has generally had a winning record in the shitty MAC. Congrat.

And our football program has generally had a losing record in the shitty MAC East. There is an easy way of ending the debate. Actually having Zips football make bowl appearances regularly and at least contend for a conference title every few years. In the FBS nearly 2/3 of the teams make the postseason yet we consistently find ourselves sitting at home.

9 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

And our football program has generally had a losing record in the shitty MAC East. There is an easy way of ending the debate. Actually having Zips football make bowl appearances regularly and at least contend for a conference title every few years. In the FBS nearly 2/3 of the teams make the postseason yet we consistently find ourselves sitting at home.

There should be no debate. We are all rooting for the same team. I don't go to the soccer board and crap on the now underachieving program and the costs to send them on international trips every other year and international recruiting budget when literally nobody cares about collegiate soccer (or soccer in general in America, really) do I?

Edited by LZIp

5 minutes ago, LZIp said:

There should be no debate. We are all rooting for the same team.

Weird you're the one that made the below comparison, which is what I initially responded to.

The football team has as many post season wins since I began going to Akron in 2010 as the basketball team does

Overall, I've just grown frustrated with the football progrum and despite being happy when Bowden was initially signed, I have lost faith that he can turn Akron into anything more than just a middle of the road MAC team.